Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

phrantic09 05-17-20 07:38 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21479732)
Basically. The way it works is, there are two cultural poles in the northeast: NY and Boston. New England, other than western CT, aligns to Boston. Western CT and NJ align to New York. My family is from eastern CT, originated in Mass (prior to my generation), and vacations in Maine. Much of the rest of my family is from or vacations in New Hampshire, and sometimes Vermont.

Think of it this way: that region is smaller than Texas. It is heavily interlocked, no matter whether you can drive across three states before lunch. People just talk about Massachusetts because that's the part big enough to bother talking about, but really, it covers most of the area.

NY north of Rockland County doesn’t really align to either, especially as you get up into the “North Country” A lot of people up here truly resent the association with the city (I’m not one of them)

Velo Vol 05-17-20 08:13 AM


Originally Posted by ericy (Post 21479741)
Ravensburger makes puzzles of varying sizes - the largest are 18,000 and even 40,000 piece puzzles.

wut

BillyD 05-17-20 08:35 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21479813)
NY north of Rockland County doesn’t really align to either, especially as you get up into the “North Country” A lot of people up here truly resent the association with the city (I’m not one of them)

But you can say pretty much the same about Massachusetts west of Boston . . . just a totally different place outside of the big city.

The real question is what sort of generalizations exist in people’s minds when they think of New York or Massachusetts. I suspect they picture NYC and Boston, to a majority extent, because the rest of the vastness gets little publicity and is a mystery to outsiders.

WhyFi 05-17-20 08:43 AM

Shopping for some bike crap, I need four or five things, and trying to support local as much as possible, but none of the shops in the area has more than one of the items that I need in stock. :notamused:

phrantic09 05-17-20 08:51 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21479911)
But you can say pretty much the same about Massachusetts west of Boston . . . just a totally different place outside of the big city.

The real question is what sort of generalizations exist in people’s minds when they think of New York or Massachusetts. I suspect they picture NYC and Boston, to a majority extent, because the rest of the vastness gets little publicity and is a mystery to outsiders.

Exactly. I grew up in Watertown about 30 miles from the Canadian border. We camped a lot in other states when I was a kid and people always commented that I didn’t have the NY accent.

Velo Vol 05-17-20 09:10 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21479941)
Exactly. I grew up in Watertown about 30 miles from the Canadian border.

<==Shopped Watertown years ago when we stayed at my uncle's north of the border. It was the short trip when we didn't want to drive all the way to the big city mall (Syracuse)

rjones28 05-17-20 09:23 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21479664)
Saddles? I know it’s heresy but I have several bikes and all the saddles I have used are fine. This includes vintage Selle Italia Turbo, 95g CF with no padding, and the crappy “Velo” saddle on BD SS.

My bony butt must not be very sensitive, for which I am grateful.

I don't have trouble with saddles either.

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 09:23 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21479813)
NY north of Rockland County doesn’t really align to either, especially as you get up into the “North Country” A lot of people up here truly resent the association with the city (I’m not one of them)

Yeah, up there goes towards WNY/ Pittsburgh.

You can see a lot of this in sports teams - all of New England is Patriots/ Red Sox, except for CT which is split. Upstate NY is Giants for those who align to NYC and Bills for those who don't. The further down south you go, the more you see Jets, until NJ is Jets territory.

But for example, for much of my family, the world doesn't extend past New England - they can't understand, and are slightly hurt by, the fact that it's not worth it for me to blow two days of vacation traveling each way to that island in Maine where they want to vacation. The fact that I could spend (in a normal version of the world...) that travel time getting to Hong Kong or Europe is water off a duck's back to them; those are places to read about but you live in CT or MA or NH, and vacation in ME because that's what you do and that's the entire world. The fact that it also takes ten laps of the island to get a half-decent run workout in also doesn't register with them.

bampilot06 05-17-20 09:23 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21479941)
Exactly. I grew up in Watertown about 30 miles from the Canadian border. We camped a lot in other states when I was a kid and people always commented that I didn’t have the NY accent.


spent christmas in watertown three years ago. christmas dinner took place at dennys. One of the smallest airports I have ever been too.

bampilot06 05-17-20 09:27 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21479925)
Shopping for some bike crap, I need four or five things, and trying to support local as much as possible, but none of the shops in the area has more than one of the items that I need in stock. :notamused:

whatcha looking for?

WhyFi 05-17-20 09:41 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21479999)
whatcha looking for?

Nothing fun.

Chainring - will have to order online
Tubeless valve stems that'll accept the 3mm injector syringe - regular Stan's don't work
DT Swiss rim tape, 21mm
Side of bacon (tubeless plugs)
Orange Seal refill bottle

Velo Vol 05-17-20 09:52 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21479988)
I don't have trouble with saddles either.

What do you have trouble with?

rjones28 05-17-20 10:00 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21479813)
NY north of Rockland County doesn’t really align to either, especially as you get up into the “North Country” A lot of people up here truly resent the association with the city (I’m not one of them)

Some people I know: "I'm going to be in NYC, I'll stop by while I'm in the area."
Me: "I'm a five hour drive from NYC."
Some people I know: :foo:

rjones28 05-17-20 10:04 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21479941)
Exactly. I grew up in Watertown about 30 miles from the Canadian border. We camped a lot in other states when I was a kid and people always commented that I didn’t have the NY accent.

When I first arrived here, CNY and Western NY accents sounded vaguely Mid-Western to me.

phrantic09 05-17-20 10:24 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21479990)
spent christmas in watertown three years ago. christmas dinner took place at dennys. One of the smallest airports I have ever been too.

It’s pretty tiny. I don’t go back there often, it’s chain restaurant hell and with 2 kids and 2 dogs none of my family can really put us up when we visit.

rjones28 05-17-20 10:26 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21479971)
<==Shopped Watertown years ago when we stayed at my uncle's north of the border. It was the short trip when we didn't want to drive all the way to the big city mall (Syracuse)

You missed out on the indoor carousel.

rjones28 05-17-20 10:27 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21479989)
Yeah, up there goes towards WNY/ Pittsburgh.

You can see a lot of this in sports teams - all of New England is Patriots/ Red Sox, except for CT which is split. Upstate NY is Giants for those who align to NYC and Bills for those who don't. The further down south you go, the more you see Jets, until NJ is Jets territory.

But for example, for much of my family, the world doesn't extend past New England - they can't understand, and are slightly hurt by, the fact that it's not worth it for me to blow two days of vacation traveling each way to that island in Maine where they want to vacation. The fact that I could spend (in a normal version of the world...) that travel time getting to Hong Kong or Europe is water off a duck's back to them; those are places to read about but you live in CT or MA or NH, and vacation in ME because that's what you do and that's the entire world. The fact that it also takes ten laps of the island to get a half-decent run workout in also doesn't register with them.

Quite a few Steelers fans around here.

rjones28 05-17-20 10:28 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21480058)
What do you have trouble with?

Indoor mice.

Velo Vol 05-17-20 10:35 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21480125)
You missed out on the indoor carousel.

I don't recall much specific about the malls other than going there. It was the heyday of malls, though. We also bought petro and foodstuffs.

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21480131)
Indoor mice.

They're mostly harmless.

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 11:19 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21480076)
Some people I know: "I'm going to be in NYC, I'll stop by while I'm in the area."
Me: "I'm a five hour drive from NYC."
Some people I know: :foo:

My family, when I moved to Colorado: I saw there were tornados in CO, are you ok?
Me: That's like three hours from me.
Family: :foo:

Repeat for Texas. Also with the Houston flooding and a number of other issues

WhyFi 05-17-20 11:28 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21480237)
My family, when I moved to Colorado: I saw there were tornados in CO, are you ok?
Me: That's like three hours from me.
Family: :foo:

Repeat for Texas. Also with the Houston flooding and a number of other issues

My dad used to do that kind of thing to me when I lived in NYC - he didn't understand that a) it's a really big city and that b) ...how do I say this? It's not only really big, but it's kind of broken up further in to walking-sized chunks - 3 miles away can be a different world that you never come in to contact with.

LesterOfPuppets 05-17-20 11:31 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21480237)
My family, when I moved to Colorado: I saw there were tornados in CO, are you ok?
Me: That's like three hours from me.
Family: :foo:

Repeat for Texas. Also with the Houston flooding and a number of other issues

It's most hilarious for TX, obv.
:roflmao2:

Velo Vol 05-17-20 11:41 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21480252)
how do I say this? It's not only really big, but it's kind of broken up further in to walking-sized chunks - 3 miles away can be a different world that you never come in to contact with.

Not enough walking achievements if you think three miles is too far to walk.

WhyFi 05-17-20 12:06 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21480271)
Not enough walking achievements if you think three miles is too far to walk.

People in NYC walk far, far more than the average 'Merican - when in NYC, I never had an out of town visitor that didn't comment on walking fatigue that wasn't even a blip on my radar. But feel free to compare the average NYC dweller with the average Knoxville resident - I'm betting that the eyeball test wouldn't be kind.

That said, walking three miles to a specific destination in NYC is... pretty rare. You already have a metro card in your pocket - you walk a half mile to a station, you hop on the subway, hop off at a station near your destination and walk the remainder. The other difference is that walking is more often done as a matter of course or necessity throughout the day; recreational walking is more of a thing when you're living the I-only-walk-the-50-steps-to-and-from-my-car lifestyle.

Velo Vol 05-17-20 12:19 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21480318)
But feel free to compare the average NYC dweller with the average Knoxville resident

Oh, there's a high bar. :roflmao2:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.