Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

datlas 02-24-22 06:46 AM

We are in Pasadena and I picked up the borrowed bike. Now I have to wait for it to warm up. It’s currently a cool 37 here which is fine for Pennsylvania but not what I expected in LA.

phrantic09 02-24-22 07:06 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22419697)
We are in Pasadena and I picked up the borrowed bike. Now I have to wait for it to warm up. Itís currently a cool 37 here which is fine for Pennsylvania but not what I expected in LA.

The feels like this AM was 5 degrees so rather than hop on the trainer, I started working instead so I can bag off around 3:30 and get 25-30 in before dark. Would like to avoid the trainer today since we are getting 12+ potentially tonight and tomorrow and Iíll be on it all weekend.

phrantic09 02-24-22 07:08 AM

Not to get into P&R- but I hope cooler heads can prevail and we donít all wind up dead.

LAJ 02-24-22 07:11 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22419716)
Not to get into P&R- but I hope cooler heads can prevail and we donít all wind up dead.

There are no calm heads. Example:

"Lot of people in Ukraine crowding together inside. Only 35% of Ukrainians have been vaccinated. Less than 2% have been boosted."

WhyFi 02-24-22 07:36 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22419641)
Iíve been thinking about ditching the Garmin pedals and going to a crank based power solution. This would allow me to have some egg beaters or SPD for nasty gravel w/ mud and road pedals. Or I could just deal with mud in the cleats.

Don't the new Garmin pedals have changeable SPD/SPD-SL bodies? Are yours compatible?

phrantic09 02-24-22 07:37 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22419738)
Don't the new Garmin pedals have changeable SPD/SPD-SL bodies? Are yours compatible?

Also a route I considered. The pedal bodies are $350. May ultimately do that anyway, then I just need some shoes and cleats.


Changing the bodies is like a 10 minute job

mvnsnd 02-24-22 07:59 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22419740)
Also a route I considered. The pedal bodies are $350. May ultimately do that anyway, then I just need some shoes and cleats.


Changing the bodies is like a 10 minute job


Save ~$100 WesternBikeWorks

phrantic09 02-24-22 08:04 AM


Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 22419753)
Save ~$100 WesternBikeWorks

Thanks

Mojo31 02-24-22 08:24 AM

Wordle 250 3/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 02-24-22 08:49 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22419544)
Wintery weekend ahead, but nothing that dumb. :foo:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2cd46eefee.png

Skating rink out.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ccb542576a.jpg

Just stupid.

seedsbelize2 02-24-22 09:04 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22419413)
None of the drills quite made it past the "cute" threshold for me, but a few of the impact drivers did. Makita's XDT16, in particular, is pretty damn small, and it's supposed to be one of the best on the market.

I have never understood the popularity of impact drivers. Their traditional use is unsticking tight nuts and bolts. And tightening them. What use does Joe homeowner have for an impact driver!

seedsbelize2 02-24-22 09:07 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22419542)
Makita has always made fine products, afaik. I have a Makita 7.2v drill that is about 30 years old and has been abused and still works.
I never bought any electric impact tools because I had air tools and I was old and cheap. Most of the guys who had them bought Snap On or Matco and some of them had DeWalt drills.
The work I did I used 3/8 drive for most power tool stuff. I had a crappy 1/2 drive impact so if I needed big power I would borrow a monster I-R from someone.
One of the guys used his 3/8 Matco electric for wheel nuts. I wondered if that was a good idea.

One of the brake guys got tendonitis in his elbows from using a huge impact gun. Big guy, 6'4", 250 lbs, but using the impact all day. It got so bad he had to take months off, PT, the works. The doctor told him to get a lightweight titanium impact wrench.

I had one of those Makita 7.2 volt. I got tired of buying batteries. It still worked just fine.

seedsbelize2 02-24-22 09:15 AM

And now off to the wood shop.
Sadly, I've traded in my daily ride for a daily walk. The cycling gods have been tough on me for two years now. I hope I don't crack under the pressure.

datlas 02-24-22 09:19 AM

Mrs datlas and I took a long walk in our temporary neighborhood. We braved the 35F temps.


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4f7d56979.jpeg

big john 02-24-22 09:34 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22419641)
Also signed up for this today

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34809666

Recommended rider:
  • Adventure-seeking bicycle owner!

genejockey 02-24-22 09:35 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22419835)
Mrs datlas and I took a long walk in our temporary neighborhood. We braved the 35F temps.


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4f7d56979.jpeg

"'Come to California', they said. 'It'll be fun warm!' they said"

Eric F 02-24-22 09:36 AM

Wordle 250 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Eric F 02-24-22 09:38 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22419835)
Mrs datlas and I took a long walk in our temporary neighborhood. We braved the 35F temps.


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4f7d56979.jpeg

This weekend, you will say, ďOh. THATís what itís like!Ē

big john 02-24-22 09:43 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22419821)
I had one of those Makita 7.2 volt. I got tired of buying batteries. It still worked just fine.

Yeah I had to buy a couple batteries. The last time they were hard to find and the Snap On guy said he could get one for me so I told him to get it without asking the price. It showed up and was like $50. I should have just bought a new drill but I still have the Makita and use it around the house now.

datlas 02-24-22 09:53 AM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22419872)
This weekend, you will say, ďOh. THATís what itís like!Ē

I hope it warms up enough to allow me to do the full Monty up Mt Baldy by Monday or Tuesday. I am thinking itís not safe today.

My cycling friend is coming over and we have to figure out todayís ride plan. We may drive to Malibu and ride the canyons there. Gibraltar is an option but a bit farther to drive. Or we might slack off and hike the Mt Wilson trail.

WhyFi 02-24-22 10:22 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22419816)
I have never understood the popularity of impact drivers. Their traditional use is unsticking tight nuts and bolts. And tightening them. What use does Joe homeowner have for an impact driver!

Man, you've been under a big rock for a good, long time, ain't ya? They're popular because people that have used them know how handy they are.

Modern impact drivers are probably considerably smaller and lighter than you think - they're smaller and lighter and have a lot more torque than a drill in a similar category. They're used when the torque (or lack thereof) of a drill would fall short or make the job longer and more difficult - driving larger/longer fasteners without pre-drilling a pilot, cutting larger diameter holes with impact-rated bits/hole saws, etc. They're also easier to handle because you don't have to constantly oppose the twisting force, like you would with a drill.

big john 02-24-22 10:39 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22419911)
Man, you've been under a big rock for a good, long time, ain't ya? They're popular because people that have used them know how handy they are.

Modern impact drivers are probably considerably smaller and lighter than you think - they're smaller and lighter and have a lot more torque than a drill in a similar category. They're used when the torque (or lack thereof) of a drill would fall short or make the job longer and more difficult - driving larger/longer fasteners without pre-drilling a pilot, cutting larger diameter holes with impact-rated bits/hole saws, etc. They're also easier to handle because you don't have to constantly oppose the twisting force, like you would with a drill.

The newer drills do have enough torque to rip themselves right out of your grip especially if you're using them for nuts and bolts. I borrowed an 18v DeWalt a few times and it has an adjustable clutch which will prevent breaking or stripping screws and drills. Another great feature is the sensitivity of the trigger. You can squeeze a little and get super slow rpm, good for starting screws.

Eric F 02-24-22 10:48 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22419887)
I hope it warms up enough to allow me to do the full Monty up Mt Baldy by Monday or Tuesday. I am thinking itís not safe today.

My cycling friend is coming over and we have to figure out todayís ride plan. We may drive to Malibu and ride the canyons there. Gibraltar is an option but a bit farther to drive. Or we might slack off and hike the Mt Wilson trail.

Based on the forecast I'm seeing Monday or Tuesday would be very good days to ride Baldy. You're right about today.

Enjoy the sunshine! :)

LAJ 02-24-22 10:53 AM

I happen to be a Bauer fan from HF. Not brushless, but the 1/2" drill/driver/hammer drill does fine for around the house. Same with the 1/2" and 3/8" drive impact. I also have cordless polisher/buffers, sawzall, pole saw and other sanding tools. The impacts are far smaller than the ones I wore out when I was out in the wild at the shop.

DougRNS 02-24-22 11:03 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22419697)
We are in Pasadena and I picked up the borrowed bike. Now I have to wait for it to warm up. Itís currently a cool 37 here which is fine for Pennsylvania but not what I expected in LA.

did you forget to pack your HTFU?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.