Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

BillyD 07-05-21 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22129065)
I heard gunshots at 3 am last night.

I noticed here they have some kind of firework that sounds like gunfire. I couldn't be sure.

WhyFi 07-05-21 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22129528)
I noticed here they have some kind of firework that sounds like gunfire. I couldn't be sure.

genejockey 07-05-21 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22129534)

I confess, I snorked at that one.

It seemed like there were fewer amateur fireworks this year. Perhaps it's finally getting into people's heads that explosives and incendiaries are a really bad mix with drought-parched vegetation.

Mrs.GeneJockey asked, "Why would anyone still be lighting off fireworks when it's like this?" I told her that the people lighting them are always sure THEY are special. THEY know how to do it safely, not like those other idiots.

And then they blow off a finger or start a wildfire.

Velo Vol 07-05-21 10:35 AM

genejockey 07-05-21 10:40 AM

Death is generally tragic. But dying like that? Geez.

Velo Vol 07-05-21 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22128956)
followed by BBQ at the shop owner's house. I'm a little surprise that I'm still conscious.

Visual approximation of some of you this weekend.

bampilot06 07-05-21 11:49 AM

Looking like I’ll get some real climbing in this weekend. Heading to the blue ridge parkway for a day. Hopefully I don’t get dropped, or attacked by wild turkeys.

genejockey 07-05-21 12:22 PM

I was replying to a 'Descending' thread, and I wanted to figure out my average and max speed down the descent I did last weekend. I looked at the elevation profile of the ride, and the ascent and descent stick out like a sore thumb, but the fun part - for me, anyway - was looking at the difference between climbing and descending in a couple of the parameters the Garmin measures. Uphill - speed mostly constant. Cadence mostly constant. Heart rate steadily but slowly rising. Downhill, speed is up and down, always either rising or falling. Cadence mostly zero, except when it's 90. Heart rate slowly drifting down during the descent (the big drop was when I stopped at the top of the climb, there's not any sudden drop in HR).

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...65cab2b275.jpg

Mojo31 07-05-21 12:38 PM

Interesting wildlife viewing on this mornings ride - two snakes in the road, a bobcat crossing, and an albino coyote wandering on the road. And the usual fenced in suspects.

datlas 07-05-21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22129545)

Invisible post?

datlas 07-05-21 12:53 PM

Good ride done. There was a section of “surprise” gravel and mud. I still run 23’s on the Habanero, so that was a challenge. Still a fine ride.

ls01 07-05-21 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22128776)
Does that work with avg. speed, watts, etc.?

I wish......

ls01 07-05-21 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22128956)
This is a thing that happened today, caught on Strava. Shop ride | Ride | Strava Ride with some shop coworkers followed by BBQ at the shop owner's house. I'm a little surprise that I'm still conscious.

Nice!

ls01 07-05-21 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22129528)

My parents had a neighbor that would take a garbage bag and tape it to a length of conduit, then fill the bag through the conduit with Acetylene and O², and then light it from the conduit. You wanna talk about shaking the house? That was way louder than any commercial fireworks I ever heard. Guy was a complete rectal opening.

indyfabz 07-05-21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22129065)
I heard gunshots at 3 am last night.

I sometimes hear them at 3 pm.

ls01 07-05-21 01:39 PM

88. Hot HOT, sweaty miles today. Did I mention hot? Ho Lee! Thought my head was going to spontaineously combust! I'm cooked. Legs are wasted. Good fun ride, good people! Beautiful day. Nap time now

abshipp 07-05-21 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22129641)
Looking like I’ll get some real climbing in this weekend. Heading to the blue ridge parkway for a day. Hopefully I don’t get dropped, or attacked by wild turkeys.

Awesome, where are you going? I've actually enjoyed climbing a lot more than I thought I would.

Speaking of, I did our local climb "backwards" today just to see what it's like. It's about a mile longer but has a nasty 15-16% stretch in the middle. Since that was the steepest thing I saw today everything afterwards felt like a piece of cake :roflmao2:

Also feel like I'm getting stronger. A few times today I looked down at my Wahoo and saw I was putting out more power than it felt like I was :D

​​​

big john 07-05-21 03:02 PM

In a first for me, I washed an inner tube today. On Saturday I put an extra tube in my jersey pocket and it was still in there when I did laundry today. I've washed a Chap-stick numerous times and lots of food wrappers but this was my first tube.

BillyD 07-05-21 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22129766)
My parents had a neighbor that would take a garbage bag and tape it to a length of conduit, then fill the bag through the conduit with Acetylene and O², and then light it from the conduit. You wanna talk about shaking the house? That was way louder than any commercial fireworks I ever heard. Guy was a complete rectal opening.

I know the type, gotta do everything in excess.

bampilot06 07-05-21 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22129848)
Awesome, where are you going? I've actually enjoyed climbing a lot more than I thought I would.

Speaking of, I did our local climb "backwards" today just to see what it's like. It's about a mile longer but has a nasty 15-16% stretch in the middle. Since that was the steepest thing I saw today everything afterwards felt like a piece of cake :roflmao2:

Also feel like I'm getting stronger. A few times today I looked down at my Wahoo and saw I was putting out more power than it felt like I was :D

​​​

Outside of Charlottesville. It’s a squirel scalper ride, and it’s suppose to be a 40 mile ride, was told to expect fast. Only other thing I know is, it starts with a 17 mile climb, not sure the gradient.

My friend is taking me up, and planning on just a day trip. He likes cranking out miles as much as I do, so I’m hoping we may do some more riding after the actual ride.

We were planning on a 160 mile ride this weekend, but this came up. That ride might get pushed back to august. Plan is to ride from Newport News up to west point. If that goes well then the next long ride would be from Newport News to Charlottesville. He’s done it before, and I am extremely interested. The difference would be I don’t plan on staying the night, would want to do the return trip in the same day.

BillyD 07-05-21 04:03 PM

Came across this photo in my photography club and thought our sailors would appreciate it. I love the intensity.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7126c6fa06.png
College Nationals Sailing Championship by rmigliaccio

Not my photo.

indyfabz 07-05-21 04:56 PM

Slow evening. Everybody must be cedar planking sockeye.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3f1e715c6.jpeg

Trsnrtr 07-05-21 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22130001)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3f1e715c6.jpeg

I’d like some of that. :thumb:

Mojo31 07-05-21 05:03 PM

Cool picture, BillyD.

College racing is fun because all boats are all the same, and crew talent/experience is the deciding factor for the most part (sometimes luck).

Velo Vol 07-05-21 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22129706)
Invisible post?

AP deleted a tweet? Lame.

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22129924)
College Nationals Sailing Championship by rmigliaccio

Sailing isn't an NCAA sport.

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22130001)

Nope. Went and mowed at the radio station. There's some blackberries there. Not great even by lame blackberry standards, but it seemed wasteful to just leave them rot, so I picked a few. #Agriculture