Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The 2022 How Was Your Commute? Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244463)

essiemyra 03-14-22 04:54 AM

First time back commuting since 12/14/21 and have I missed it. I was so glad to be out riding this morning. The temp was 27 f degrees and dark skies outside otherwise it was an uneventful ride. Hopefully to stay for awhile if life and circumstances don't interfere.

pdlamb 03-14-22 04:12 PM

Wow, what a nice day. A bit cool (lower 60s instead of mid-60s) and a good wind out of the south; too strong to hear the bluebirds I suspect were nesting over the wind. But a sunny ride with only light traffic -- I'll take it!

essiemyra 03-15-22 04:56 AM

Another pleasant commute this morning with the temp at 43 f degrees. So last evening me and dh saw the almost full moon which he told me I would ride with this am. Yet because of the clouds that must have come in over night there was no moon to be seen.

Welshboy 03-16-22 02:40 PM

I'm back to a three-day week now (Mon, Tues, Wed) and it was nice to have three dry days and good Spring weather. As my commute has dropped from 8.5 miles each way to a measly 3 miles each way I've started going out for a ride before going to work and I'm using a nice 12 mile loop that has quiet roads and tarmac forest trails with a short gravel section as well. Every day, Strava tells me that I'm no longer the local legend on a section of my old commute but I'll probably gain new ones real soon as I've yet to see another cyclist going my way on my commutes!

Anyway, I've two weeks off now so my next commutes will be in April.

Sorcerer 03-16-22 08:54 PM

Last week I had a vacation, did some mountain biking and camping, and started back riding to work on Tuesday (had Monday off as well). Felt good, even though I was rained on, but I have to say even though I did ride quite a lot on vacation, I felt like I lost a bit of fitne. But now, it is fine. Seems crazy but I missed the commute when I was on vacation a couple of times.

It's just so good to have a ride in the morning where you really have to t somewhere.

Darth Lefty 03-16-22 11:03 PM

Totally skunked this week. first such week this year.

essiemyra 03-17-22 05:37 AM

This is my last commute for this week(due to only working 3.5 days a week)and it was pleasant yet uneventful. I caught a glimpse or two of the moon but we had partly cloudy skies so it did not stay for the whole ride. The temp was 41 f degrees this morning.

Tundra_Man 03-17-22 07:19 AM

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1379:

What a difference a week makes. Last week was low-single digit temps in the morning with wind chills well below 0°F, and highs in the teens to low twenties. Lots of snow and ice on the ground so I rode winter bikes all that week. This week, morning temps in the twenties and thirties, with highs in the fifties. I've been riding my hybrid and my road bike.

Tuesday morning was a little chilly with the temp of 25° and a rainy sleety mixture falling from the sky. I arrived at the office covered in a wet layer of ice. But since then it's been a lot more spring-like.

This week I've been having to haul three sets of clothing. One to wear for the morning ride, office clothes and a set to ride home in. This morning was 32°. Knowing it was going to be a lot warmer later in the day, I didn't want to bother trying to cram a heavier jacket into my backpack along with all the other clothes. Instead I just went with a sweat shirt over my t-shirt. I was a little chilly by the time I made the 8 mile ride to the office, but I survived.

essiemyra 03-21-22 04:46 AM

Well back at Monday morning again. It was a pleasant commute to work with the temp at 42 f. Partly cloudy dark skies and a 14 mile an hour wind. I think wind speeds is going to increase today during the day with gusts up to 25mph but at least I will be on my bike.

essiemyra 03-22-22 04:08 AM

Today's commute was pleasant and uneventful with the temp at 35 f degrees and less cloudy dark skies. Upon arrival at work, I was going to unlatch my helmet then I noticed I had never latched it to begin with. Weird that has never happened before. Plus it stayed on my head the whole ride. Thank goodness there was not a accident this morning.

essiemyra 03-23-22 04:17 AM

The temp got down to 31 f for this morning which would not have been bad had I brought my heavy gloves home from work yesterday. So this morning I decided I could ride without heavy winter gloves and I did. And I had cold hands! Lesson learned! Other than the cold hands it was a pleasant commute in this morning. I did notice the sky getting some rosy tones at the edge just as I was getting to work.

pdlamb 03-24-22 03:43 PM

Rode into the office yesterday. Overcast on the way in, clear on the way out, around 70F each way. Nice ride, right?

Did I forget to mention the wind? 20-30 mph headwind on the way in; my normal 45 minute ride took me 55 minutes. I'm not sure if tweaking the route to add a few tenths of a mile looking for shelter was worth the effort. Coming home was a bit better, the gusting had eased off. And for one 4-mile stretch, there was a 16 mph wind right behind me. Glorious! until I had to turn left and continue the rest of the way home.

Tundra_Man 03-25-22 07:42 AM

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1385:

While last week was unseasonably warm with temps in the upper 50s, this week has been more typical "South Dakota spring" with high temps in the 30s and 40s and lots of wind. Monday night through Wednesday morning we had rain mixed with snow.

Today I woke up with a "high wind warning" on my phone. The wind is a constant 30 mph with gust over 50 mph. The temp was 33°F, which meant the windchill was quite a ways south of that temp. I wore my balaclava even though I usually reserve it for air temps colder than 20°F. Glad I did.

Heading to the client location I had to ride straight into that wind. The pavement was dry and clear, so I took the road bike as it cuts through wind a lot better than my other bikes. Even on the road bike, I found myself only maintaining about 8 mph for a good chunk of the commute.

Riding home should be pretty fast. The wind is supposed to decrease slightly by then, but I should still get a good push.

Darth Lefty 03-25-22 06:34 PM

Work travel this week. No office days.

Kiddo arrangements are going to have some changes soon, I don't know how that is going to turn out with ferrying them all around.

Monday edit: kiddo did pretty well last week and I was ready to ride but there was some much-needed weather today and I did a MTB ride yesterday so don't feel too bad skipping it. Still, it's been a few weeks now.

Darth Lefty 03-29-22 04:13 PM

Got a lap in today! Nice one.

essiemyra 03-30-22 04:17 AM

The really chilly weather is gone and so with the temp at 25 f degrees and no wind chill I was able to ride today. I like that the light is starting to come up just as I arrive at work. Not to much longer and I will be riding in daylight.

essiemyra 03-31-22 04:11 AM

Well it is my Friday and so for the last work day of the week I was able to ride, with the temp 15 degrees warmer than yesterday at 40 today. It was a pleasant commute. Lucky me!

essiemyra 04-05-22 04:17 AM

It was a very pleasant yet uneventful commute this morning. The temp was 39 f with dark skies but light coming up at about 6 am. Soon I will be riding in daylight in the am.

Tundra_Man 04-05-22 07:11 AM

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1392:

Another windy day. I think we've had one day with the wind below 20 mph in the last three weeks. This morning after I woke and laid in bed I could hear the wind howling. Knowing it was going to be a headwind, I sat there dreading the commute.

Temp wasn't too bad at 44°F. Wind was a constant 25 mph with gusts much higher. Knowing I would be fighting it for eight miles I thought it might be a little chilly so I dressed for about 20°F. Turns out I was a bit warm. The wind was out of the south which is less bitter than when it's out of the north. By halfway to the office I had sweat rolling down my glasses. Oops.

It rained during the night, but stopped right before I left the house. I took the hybrid bike with fenders due to the wet roads. Twenty minutes later the pavement was completely dry due to the wind. It's supposed to start raining again this afternoon so I should have a wet ride home. The wind is also supposed to shift which means I'll have a crosswind instead of a tail wind.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1c924c3626.jpg

Tundra_Man 04-06-22 07:20 AM

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1393:

Woke up to hear the wind howling again this morning. Today it's blowing from the northwest, which was the same direction I was traveling to the client's office. The good news is the wind is not expected to change directions today, so I should get a push home. I'd rather fight it in the morning and get the assist later when I'm tired.

Temp was 35°F. The wind speed was a steady 30 mph with gusts much higher. Given it was 9 degrees cooler than yesterday, and that the wind was out of the north I opted again to dress for the low 20s. Unlike yesterday, it was the proper choice. North winds are noticeably colder than south winds.

The big surprise was the rain. It was raining when I went to bed, and when I got up it was still raining. This wasn't in the forecast, but I'm not going to complain one bit because we desperately need the moisture. I had serviced my road bike chain last night and packed my backpack. With the rain I opted to take the hybrid with fenders. This morning I was too lazy to move everything into my panniers so I just wore my backpack even though my hybrid bike has a rack.

The rain wasn't heavy, just a steady drizzle. Interestingly enough, the wind was blowing hard enough to dry it off of my clothes as fast as it was falling, so when I got to the office I was wetter from sweat than I was from rain.

essiemyra 04-07-22 04:19 AM

Second day of commuting this week as I had heard it was supposed to rain yesterday but that turned out to be false. So I made plans to take my grandson birthday shopping for his younger sister. Anyway it was a very pleasant commute in this morning with the temp at 39 f degrees and cloudy skies. I think next week might be the week I can use my summer ride route to work. I think it will just almost be light enough.

Darth Lefty 04-08-22 01:28 PM

Two laps again this week.

Got one really nice orange yesterday. Remarkable because it's very late. Last week there was a pretty good wind storm that knocked down most of the remainder. I never pick up more than four at a time and so most of them wound up rotting.

My no-change season is coming to a close. Starting to feel like I could be wearing shorts in the morning and definitely would rather be in the afternoon.

Tundra_Man have you considered a land sailing yacht?

cat0020 04-12-22 11:10 AM

Commute in Brooklyn this morning:
https://fb.watch/clr10JlxLm/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61082792

cat0020 04-12-22 06:26 PM

Just few blocks from my work, thankfully, I got to work before the carnage:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/multip...-train-station

essiemyra 04-13-22 04:33 AM

A very pleasant yet uneventful commute this morning. It was full on light before I arrived at work. The temp was 44f degrees when I left the house with no wind.

Tundra_Man 04-13-22 07:36 AM

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1398:

The wind still continues to howl. The forecast I saw this morning said "unrelenting winds into the foreseeable future." I believe I've counted two days in the last month where the winds were less than 20 mph. Yuck.

Yesterday we had various severe storms throughout the day, complete with lightning and hail. Thankfully none of them managed to happen while I was riding. When I left the house in the morning one had just finished up. Another came through while I was waiting in line to vote, but had passed by the time I left the polling place. Another happened while I was at our office, but cleared up in time for me to ride across town to the client. Some more sprinkles happened during the afternoon, but my ride home was dry. A few minutes after I got home the skies unleashed again. I should have bought a lottery ticket.

Temp was 27°F this morning. I had to ride straight into the 30 mph wind to get to the client's office. Gave me quite the ice cream headache. Winds aren't projected to shift and the temps are suppose to top out near 40°F so I should have a pretty easy ride home.

pdlamb 04-13-22 09:58 AM

I needed to run to the office to check on a few things before I retreated to "maximum telework," so I rode early to beat the storms.

I don't know why, but I get tickled when I see something like "Humidity: Non-condensing" in a specification. Broken clouds, partly clear, nothing on the weather radar for 75 miles. What's that hitting my face and arms? Must have been "Condensing humidity."

The ride in was a fight against headwinds. I got lucky, the winds picked up before I left for home, so I got (wait for it!) a tailwind! Jiggered my route a little to catch as many long, straight stretches as I could to enjoy it.

Tundra_Man 04-14-22 07:37 AM

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1399:

Kept waking up during the night due to the howling wind. At one point I got up and investigated because I thought there was a truck idling outside. Nope. Wind.

Woke up to this:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...75b3fe8cae.jpg
I originally was going to ride all the way to our company office this morning, and then later in the morning ride to the client location. I'm not ashamed to say I wimped out and rode directly to the client location, which was only half the distance. There wasn't anything specific I absolutely needed to be physically present at our office for anyway, so it wasn't a problem.

Unfortunately the ride from my house to the client was straight into the wind. It took me about 35 minutes on my road bike to go the 4.25 miles. Having commuted in South Dakota for many, many years, I've ridden in more windy days than I can count. Today was probably a top 5. At one point a gust pretty much stopped my bike dead in its tracks. I've had that happen on my slow winter bikes before, but I can't ever remember it happening on my road bike.

Temp was 25°F. With that wind I dressed for single digits and was still cold.

Welshboy 04-14-22 08:33 AM

With us now firmly into Spring I've retired my boat anchor of a commuter bike with full fenders and stuck Zefal Swan/Croozer Road Fenders on my 2012 CAADX. They were nice and cheap and are easily demountable. I've done well dodging the rain over the last two weeks and the one ride where it was actually raining when I left home they did a good job albeit over my very short commute of just 3-miles each way.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-swanc...sku=5360345580

Darth Lefty 04-16-22 10:25 PM

This should be peak season for bike commuting but for a variety of reasons it's not coming together for me. Kiddo is in a new program MWF and he's doing great but delivering him limits opportunity to TTh and I don't get all of those. I'm getting in some neighborhood rides with my kids and about one couple-hour ride per weekend.