Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Shimano RD/FD-1056 Flat Handlebar Shifters compatibility (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253991)

VintageSteelEU 06-23-22 05:20 AM

Shimano RD/FD-1056 Flat Handlebar Shifters compatibility

After doing an inventory of all my spare parts, I have figured out I can build another bike. I've got pretty much everything, except the cockpit. The frame (cheap steel) originally came with a steel drop handlebar and downtube shifters. I would like to build it up with a flat / riser handlebar. The problem is that I don't have any MTB drivetrain parts (and really want to use what I have) so the bicycle is getting a double FD-1056 and a 8 speed RD-1056. The rear wheel is going to have a 7 sprocket Shimano HG freewheel. Crankset is going to be Shimano FC-1056 (52 & 39T chainrings). Are there any indexed flat handlebar, rapid/fire style shifters that would work without too much fuss? I'm less worried about the RD, that will most likely work just fine with alternative cable routing (I used that RD with 8 speed shifters before, probably best shifting I experienced to date). The main problem is the FD. Most of the shifters I see are for triple chainwheels. And I'm not sure, but they seem to have some sort of indexing also? What would be the best solution for that? Ditch the FD shifters and use a thumb shifter instead? Or is there something nice and sleek that would work? I'm currently thinking about SL R440, at least for the back.

nick_a 06-23-22 05:54 AM

I set up a 2x7 bike for a buddy using Exage Action RD/FD and modern Altus trigger shifters and it all works great together. Yes the FD shifter is indexed but it works fine.

VintageSteelEU 06-23-22 03:40 PM

That's promising. Exage Action was a road group, after all. I found some Altus SL-315 shifters, need to read up on them before I take a plunge. Thanks for the tip, didn't think of Altus. I've seen a bicycle using some Tiagra shifters with a road group, but Altus is probably more than enough for a beater bike.

70sSanO 06-23-22 05:32 PM

If you are using a road FD, you’ll need a road compatible shifter. I think you can fudge with a mtb shifter because I think it pulls more cable. The cable will have to have some slack.

The easier approach is to use a thumb shifter. This is what I’m using on a flat bar 2x7. With a 2x, there really isn’t any advantage indexing as the lever moves one way to shift up and the other to shift down.

John

icemilkcoffee 06-23-22 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22552111)
If you are using a road FD, you’ll need a road compatible shifter. I think you can fudge with a mtb shifter because I think it pulls more cable. The cable will have to have some slack.

The easier approach is to use a thumb shifter. This is what I’m using on a flat bar 2x7. With a 2x, there really isn’t any advantage indexing as the lever moves one way to shift up and the other to shift down.

John

up through 9 speeds, the RD pull ratios are the same between road and MTB groups.
The FD pull ratios are different. But back in the 7 speed era, Shimano typically used a friction shifter on the left. Only the right shifter had indexing. Like these Deore shifters:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9d61fee0d.jpeg
These should work fine for the OP

70sSanO 06-23-22 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee (Post 22552242)
up through 9 speeds, the RD pull ratios are the same between road and MTB groups.
The FD pull ratios are different. But back in the 7 speed era, Shimano typically used a friction shifter on the left. Only the right shifter had indexing. Like these Deore shifters:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9d61fee0d.jpeg
These should work fine for the OP

Not necessarily.

Shimano ran 3x7 speed triggers. I currently have a set of 3x7 LX-563 and mid 90’s STX, currently in use on one bike, that I’ve run with various cranks.

But I do agree that friction for the FD, especially with a 2x, is probably the best route.

John

nick_a 06-24-22 02:45 AM

Definitely agree with the other folks that a friction shifter for the FD would yield the smoothest shifting.

VintageSteelEU 06-24-22 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22552111)

John

In all fairness, I almost never use FD on my other bicycles. Too flat around. It is set up and I make sure it works properly, but during adjustments is the only time when smaller chain ring gets any use :D
Still, I'm not the one who'll be using that bicycle and anyway I like when everything works as it should. Thumb shifter would totally be a viable option.