Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

mainstreetexile 09-13-11 03:51 PM

I've been looking for a Raleigh Sports / 3 speed to try out for a while now. Finally found this Triumph last weekend, looks like it's made by Raleigh, second tier / lower model than the Sports.

Seems like it's in really excellent condition, the previous owner replaced the indicator spindle and shifter cable but I need to fix and trim up the housing. Not sure of an exact date, all I can make out on the AW hub date code is a straight vertical looking line and a zero, so I'm assuming 1970.

I was looking for a green Sports since I'm not crazy about the coffee / brown, but I really like the paint color on this. I like vintage motorcycles too and I really love these decals and the Triumph connection.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8010/triumph1m.jpg

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/3589/triumph3k.jpg

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8462/triumph2r.jpg

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4474/triumph4.jpg

markk900 09-13-11 03:58 PM

Lovely colour and the decals seem in nice shape - I think you have a keeper! How does it ride?

Also, does your crank and/or stem have the Raleigh Industries logo stamped (lightly) into them? The crank especially looks like the one on my Glider.

mainstreetexile 09-13-11 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 13221336)
Lovely colour and the decals seem in nice shape - I think you have a keeper! How does it ride?

Also, does your crank and/or stem have the Raleigh Industries logo stamped (lightly) into them? The crank especially looks like the one on my Glider.

Thanks! I haven't ridden it more than a block but it definitely has its charm. Wheels are good and true and it seems like it has led a generally well maintained / greased and oiled / indoor life. It's a nice size that should fit both my girlfriend and I for rolling around town.

The stem has the Raleigh Industries logo on it, I didn't notice it on the crank but I haven't examined it too closely yet.

Found some pictures of your Glider and it's looks great! Love that muted green + honey brooks + chrome fork crown and fenders look!

markk900 09-13-11 08:06 PM

Thanks back - in person the green is quite faded, with only hints of it prior glory in spots where clamps protected the paint. Scratch-X has not restored any of it either, which disappointed me. Regardless, these older 2nd tier bikes sure are fun!

Mark

photogravity 09-13-11 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by mainstreetexile (Post 13221307)
I've been looking for a Raleigh Sports / 3 speed to try out for a while now. Finally found this Triumph last weekend, looks like it's made by Raleigh, second tier / lower model than the Sports.

Seems like it's in really excellent condition, the previous owner replaced the indicator spindle and shifter cable but I need to fix and trim up the housing. Not sure of an exact date, all I can make out on the AW hub date code is a straight vertical looking line and a zero, so I'm assuming 1970.

I was looking for a green Sports since I'm not crazy about the coffee / brown, but I really like the paint color on this. I like vintage motorcycles too and I really love these decals and the Triumph connection.

Nice ride! The colour is sublime and the overall condition is pretty cool to put it mildly. :) She'll serve you well for a lot of years to come if you coddle her a bit.

JohnDThompson 09-13-11 08:37 PM

So, who's going to the "All British Cycling Event" this weekend?

I'm planning on being there...

gna 09-14-11 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 13222594)

My wife has given me tentative permission to go on one day.

noglider 09-14-11 01:08 AM

mainstreetexile, you did extremely well. The bike is in fantastic shape probably because it hasn't been ridden.

The slightly cheaper components on yours won't make it ride any worse. Better, maybe, since they're lighter. They're just a little less bomb-proof.

photogravity 09-14-11 07:38 AM

I'd love to, but have other commitments. I am signed up for the 3-speed Tour in May, though. :)

gna 09-14-11 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by photogravity (Post 13224076)
I'd love to, but have other commitments. I am signed up for the 3-speed Tour in May, though. :)

We'll see you there. Which Raleigh will you ride?

gna 09-14-11 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by mainstreetexile (Post 13221307)

Very nice. Early '70s; the large rear reflector makes me think 73 or so. Are the wheels 36/36 spoke, or 40/32? I bought a black one with similar decals and lettering for my brother, and I'm guessing it's from '73 or '74.

I like the Bronze Green Sports, too, as that's the bike my dad had when I was a kid.

bikamper 09-14-11 11:29 AM

I'll be there, too.

Mike Mills 09-14-11 12:34 PM

Is it okay to show up with an English racing bike? :-)

Can I wear my black wool racing shorts? ;-)

All kidding aside, I'd like to attend something like this but am not aware of anything remotely resembling this is my area and MN is too far away.

P_M 09-14-11 01:12 PM

Sounds like fun! Not possible for me, but fun nonetheless!

I read the linked page. I understand why lycra is banned. But it allows plus fours?

JonnM 09-14-11 05:15 PM

First post!!
Our two three speeds... Probably paid waaay too much for them but everything is over priced in Vancouver.. :\
Put new rims/tires on it with original hubs and a Brooks B73 seat. Still have the original seat and rack. Prefer the look with no rack though.
My 1979 Made in Canada Raleigh Sports...
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...m/IMG_0328.jpg
Wife's 1971 Canadian Tire Super-Cycle...
Put a new shifter on it because the original twisty grip shifter was worn out. Shoulda held onto that but alas...
I found a chain guard and put it on. Dunno what it's originally from or what came on this.
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...m/IMG_0321.jpg

markk900 09-14-11 07:57 PM

Cool bikes! How does that Brooks feel on a ride - I can't decide if it look comfortable or not. :)

auchencrow 09-14-11 08:10 PM

Welcome to C&V JonnM! Whatever you may have paid - or overpaid - there in Vancouver, is irrelevant as long as you enjoy your saddle time on your old Raleigh's.

To echo Markk900's query - How DO you feel about the sprung Brooks saddle? I have an old Sports with a similar Wrights saddle, and I find it is comfortable, but "sproingy" - Kind of like riding a beach ball.

JonnM 09-14-11 11:06 PM

The B73 is pretty comfy now but it took a while to soften up after buying it new. The leather is starting to fade a bit too which is cool.
I guess that is normal for a leather saddle though.

P_M 09-15-11 09:25 AM

JonnM,

Nice bicycles! I have a Canadian made 1980 Sports in blue. It came with the same rack which I promptly took off as well. I'm digging the B73 you put on there. Very nice!

mainstreetexile,

What a great find! And a nice colour on that Triumph!

cazoo 09-16-11 01:37 PM

Hello,

I would like to change the brake cables on my Raleigh Sports (72). Sheldon Brown's site links to these from Harris Cyclery: Jagwire

Are these my only/best options?

Amesja 09-16-11 01:52 PM

Jagwire makes decent cable. If you are replacing the cable think about replacing the housing as well. The older housings are cool looking and all but a modern high-quality lined housing will do much more for your braking than changing the cable. If the cable is bad, change it -but if it isn't kinked, rusted or frayed then changing it isn't going to make much of a difference in your brake feel and power without changing the housing as well. If you want good housing Jagwire makes good stuff too.

THink about replacing the brake ferrule/stop at the lever as well -especially if yours are the old cruddy plastic/nylon type. This will help a LOT in brake feel. Those old plastic ones are just waiting to fail in a hard stop.

Don't buy the one I listed from BikeWorldUSA at Amazon -I just used it as an example. That part is EXTREMELY over-priced even without considering the terrible shipping costs (as are most things from BikeWorldUSA -use Niagara if you buy anything online though Amazon). Your LBS can sell you the same part much cheaper and not over-charge you like BikeWorldUSA does.

cazoo 09-16-11 02:02 PM

Thanks Amesja! I didn't know that the cable housing would have much or any effect on the braking. It's a shame to replace though as I do like the "ribbed" look.

Amesja 09-16-11 02:08 PM

They don't HAVE to be replaced -but they will do more for braking feel and power than replacing the cables.

I like the old look too -I have the originals on my '54. But they are pretty spongy after 55 years.

ThermionicScott 09-16-11 09:44 PM

Less than two months ago, I had no idea what an English 3-speed was. Thanks to Sheldon and this thread, I developed a need for one that culminated in snagging this one off eBay:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...mstrong/ds.jpg

It's a '64 Armstrong with a CycleRama generator and lights (headlight not attached yet.) I'm gradually getting things dialled in, but the brakes aren't quite there yet. The shoes are the original John Bulls (!) and the front caliper rocks forward noticeably when braking. Is it supposed to do that? :eek: The rear shoes, at least, have flanges that act as stops against the seat stays.

Although I don't trust it enough yet for long distances, I'm having a lot of fun riding it around the neighborhood. It's a totally different experience from the Bianchi. Now to find a decent saddle for the thing. :)

- Scott

auchencrow 09-16-11 10:28 PM

Nice Armstrong, ThermionicScottt. I happened to be riding mine today, a bit older than yours and the brakes are indeed a little "different" - (no worse though that my Bianchi when it had the original scintered metal shoes :rolleyes: )

I replaced the pads on both bikes with Koolstop Campy inserts. I had to cobble the holders on the Armstrong for them though, so in retrospect it might have been wiser to replace them with Koolstop Continentals. In any case, I think your John Bulls are about due.

Your bike appears to be in superb condition. Is there a name on the saddle? I think it is period correct if not original to the bike.