Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   That added up quick (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1278209)

plumberroy 07-21-23 09:41 AM

That added up quick

Since this is where I post the most I will post it here. Back before I quit riding due to health reasons I picked up a Univega Alpina 501 mountain bike bike. I probably paid on the high end of the value when I bought it, but it was in excellent condition and I just liked the bike. I had started modifying t before I quit riding 6 years ago. I have finished it up this year. I like this bike. For exploring a new park or looking for new fishing holes along the river it's great. It will move decent on pavement handle gravel and hard packed dirt. It's not fast because of the mountain bike gearing but climbs great. I made the mistake of adding up what I have in it though.
bike. $160
Tires Serfus Drifter 26x2 $60
Suntour bar end shifters $20
Nitto Bosco bars $80
Cables. $25
Seat. New take off from LBS. $15
Pedals. $15
Paracord (handle bar wrap). $10.
Odds and ends. $10
Topeak rack. $50
More than the bike is worth
I have about the same in a Surly Steamroller

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...48c2714989.jpg

big john 07-21-23 09:47 AM

If you like it and it does what you want, it doesn't matter how much it cost, at least in this case. Sounds like a bargain to me. A rebuilt rear wheel and new drivetrain for my road bike will cost more than that.

t2p 07-21-23 12:18 PM

agree - investing in a bike you ride can be a good investment - and your list appears to be reasonable

pdlamb 07-21-23 12:34 PM

I think you forgot to add the water bottle cage. Or did you already have that?

As to expensive, that depends what you're comparing it to. Similar bike 20 years ago? (How much were you making back then?) Similar new bike from a bike shop? Might be a good comparison. Or a big box special? Remember to add the new parts and, potentially, labor as you break all the cheap parts after the first 300 miles.

bOsscO 07-21-23 01:01 PM

Reiterating what both big john and t2p said; the value or worth of something you love is often far greater that what it costs. And I agree what you paid for the end product is very reasonable.
I did a similar resto-mod on a Mongoose IBOC Comp and it ended up costing me $875CAD in the end, but worth every penny.

plumberroy 07-21-23 01:18 PM

Water bottle cage came with the bike. And I bought the tires 6 years ago when I started the project before my feet got bad they are closer to $40 each now. I have 3 Surly's just . It's that I bought a piece here and there wasn't buying everything at once. I didn't realize I had spent quite that much The pedals were bought to try wide pedals to help with tenderness in my feet. . I actually have a different set of pedals I'm going to buy and move those to another bike..
P.S. only time there is a big box store bike here, is because it was donated to the church and I'm making it rideable to give to a kid in need

freeranger 07-22-23 06:22 AM

A lot of the list is what I'd consider normal to need replacing eventually, or "accessory" or what someone would add to a bike to "make it theirs" anyway. The bike seems like a good deal to me, especially since you like it. Lots of new bikes get the items on your list. I'd say you stole it!!

Bald Paul 07-22-23 07:26 AM

You're into a bike you enjoy for $445. That's a little less than 1/3 the price of my wheelset. Be happy and ride!

Wildwood 07-22-23 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 22960742)
You're into a bike you enjoy for $445. That's a little less than 1/3 the price of my wheelset. Be happy and ride!

I'm not into new expensive wheelsets, but my bikes have been 'personalized', maybe beyond what others would do.

Try to find any bike - new or used - for $450 that has the features you desired with quality components = impossible if new, highly unlikely used in the correct frame size.

Nothing better than a satisfying ride on a bike you personally modify. On more than 1 level. Congrats.
Surly has a similar sort of collection of riders & fan boys.
And it's a major motivation to stick with the cycling. Rather than riding a bike with compromises. I have assembled a number of roadies from vintage framesets.

LesterOfPuppets 07-22-23 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by plumberroy (Post 22960031)
Since this is where I post the most I will post it here. Back before I quit riding due to health reasons I picked up a Univega Alpina 501 mountain bike bike. I probably paid on the high end of the value when I bought it, but it was in excellent condition and I just liked the bike. I had started modifying t before I quit riding 6 years ago. I have finished it up this year. I like this bike. For exploring a new park or looking for new fishing holes along the river it's great. It will move decent on pavement handle gravel and hard packed dirt. It's not fast because of the mountain bike gearing but climbs great. I made the mistake of adding up what I have in it though.
bike. $160
{...}
I have about the same in a Surly Steamroller

$160 ain't bad at all.

Steel MTB
Purple
Univega
What more could you ask for?

I'd have probably spent $100 on a seatpost alone if I was to build that from the frame up

LesterOfPuppets 07-22-23 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22961186)
$160 ain't bad at all.

Steel MTB
Purple
Univega
What more could you ask for?

I'd have probably spent $100 on a seatpost alone if I was to build that from the frame up

Waitaminnit. I thought $160 was the total, but a quick glance at the numbers under $160 reveal that they add up to more than that.

plumberroy 07-22-23 08:46 PM

Need to get some black pedals on it 😁 I have a specialized hard rock those pedals will be close to a match.
Two of the local park trails have sections of pavement out of their trails . It handles cutting across the horse trailer gravel lot, across the road, grass and down a dirt path to get back on pavement great. I haven't rode it more than around 8 miles at one time, but it's great for exploring new parks and paths. No I can't get what I have in it back . Figure since my granddaughter thinks it is the coolest I'll give it to her when I get to old to ride it

oldbobcat 07-25-23 03:02 PM

Figure on spending around $50 a year for replacement parts to keep a bike rolling nicely, $100 if you have to pay someone to do the work. So you got a good deal, 30 years of replacements for $285. And then there's the coolness factor of riding a very nice old Univega.

downtube42 07-25-23 05:05 PM

I bought a fixed gear conversion about a year ago, to see if I liked FG. I did, and the upgrades began. I think the only things original at this point are the rear wheel, front brake, and crankarms. Wild guess at expenses is $800, which is twice what I could sell it for.

It happens.

plumberroy 07-25-23 05:42 PM

You need to realize I come from an environment where a bike is a toy . Old habits are hard to get around. It's a cool old bike that I think of as an explorer ride .

plumberroy 07-31-23 02:38 AM

The original MSRP for this bike was $400 in 1995 adjusted for inflation that is $800 in today's money

t2p 07-31-23 02:40 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a93f7a880.jpeg

spotted this vintage Univega early yesterday morning

plumberroy 07-31-23 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22969723)

There is a good looking Univega Rover STI on market place, but I really don't need another bike

LesterOfPuppets 07-31-23 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22969723)

Love those Ukai rims!

rsbob 07-31-23 06:41 PM

Don’t fret too much. Your total was less than one of my carbon rims and that doesn’t count the tire.