Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   France offers subsidy to tempt lockdown cyclists (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1199807)

detroitjim 04-30-20 07:05 AM

France offers subsidy to tempt lockdown cyclists

*******Checked the forum for posts on the same subject.Were none. Got interrupted by a phone call while composing this thread .
After posting discovered that moments before a similar thread was submitted. Probably was typing it at the same time******

"France is encouraging people to cycle to keep pollution levels low once lockdown restrictions end.

Under the €20 million (£17m; $21.7m) scheme, everyone will be eligible for bike repairs of up to €50 at registered mechanics.

The funding will also help pay for cycle training and temporary parking spaces."

Wonder how many of our politicians here in the US are considering ways to increase cycling?
Seems like NOW is the optimal time to permanently make changes for bicycling infrastructure.
It'd be nice if they kept some of those roads closed. Also,it's the perfect time to commandeer a portion of the road for a bike lane ,with the traffic numbers being so low.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52483684

bakerjw 04-30-20 08:29 AM

Traffic numbers aren't low where I live.

detroitjim 04-30-20 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by bakerjw (Post 21447096)
Traffic numbers aren't low where I live.

Understandably not every place is precisely the same. .Last time I cycled in TN (southern part) didn't see anyone else on a bicycle while there for a week.

Up here ,while slightly increasing over the last few days, traffic is similar to a normal Sunday morning even though is 5pm on a weekday.
Several of the regular cyclists I mash with made the same comment.
I've pedaled on roads, in the last few weeks, that I wouldn't have considered riding down unless I had a death wish.

America at Its Best

Digger Goreman 04-30-20 10:15 AM

We (US) could learn much from France and the world. Co-operation over competition! :thumb:

pcook489 04-30-20 11:54 AM

You guys are kidding, right? France is smaller than the state of Texas. To ask Americans to give up the automobile is futile, especially when the cost of gasoline is below $2.00. I like your concern for the planet, etc, but good freaking luck.

alcjphil 04-30-20 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by pcook489 (Post 21447469)
You guys are kidding, right? France is smaller than the state of Texas. To ask Americans to give up the automobile is futile, especially when the cost of gasoline is below $2.00. I like your concern for the planet, etc, but good freaking luck.

I take your point, but the current situation should be an object lesson as to how fuel prices decrease when demand drops. More bikes on the road would be good for car drivers

DrIsotope 04-30-20 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by detroitjim (Post 21446917)
Wonder how many of our politicians here in the US are considering ways to increase cycling?
Seems like NOW is the optimal time to permanently make changes for bicycling infrastructure.

They're not.
They won't.

We're better off as third-class citizens. If cycling becomes too mainstream, you can be sure the govt. will figure out a way to charge us for doing it.

alcjphil 04-30-20 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 21447591)
They're not.
They won't.

We're better off as third-class citizens. If cycling becomes too mainstream, you can be sure the govt. will figure out a way to charge us for doing it.

Kinda cynical. However my take is that if cycling becomes mainstream, the oil lobby will pressure your government into measures that will make cycling more expensive. Don't blame government, blame the powerful economic forces that resist change and lobby against it

detroitjim 04-30-20 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 21447591)

Instead of third-class citizens maybe we can be referred to as undocumented riders. Probably gain a bit of political backing that way.

Digger Goreman 05-01-20 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by alcjphil (Post 21448049)
Don't blame government, blame the powerful economic forces that resist change and lobby against it

There is no difference....

scott967 05-01-20 09:00 PM

Actually cars seem like pretty good protection against a virus. What needs to go is mass transit. Already NYC is shutting down subway at night. In Hawaii we're wasting $10 billion on an elevated rail. Dump the rail and turn it into a bikeway. That's something I could get behind.

scott s.

Ross520 05-02-20 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by scott967 (Post 21450249)
Actually cars seem like pretty good protection against a virus. What needs to go is mass transit. Already NYC is shutting down subway at night. In Hawaii we're wasting $10 billion on an elevated rail. Dump the rail and turn it into a bikeway. That's something I could get behind.

scott s.

Is that supposed to be a joke? Mass transit means LESS vehicles on the road.

Oneder 05-03-20 02:33 PM

scott s.

Exactly, it is high population density and allowing cars into extremely dense areas like manhattan that is the real issue.

Stadjer 05-05-20 03:52 AM

scott s.

There seems to be a remarkable correlation between air pollution and how hard the coronavirus hits.

pcook489 05-05-20 09:20 AM

Let me get this straight, Ross. You are going to advocate for mass transit, with all the inherent problems of people in close contact spreading their "contagions" at an enormous pace, with people who decide to be socially responsible and use private transportation for commutes to work/meeting loved ones. Please let me know how this works out for you.

jon c. 05-06-20 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Stadjer (Post 21456171)
There seems to be a remarkable correlation between air pollution and how hard the coronavirus hits.

I suspect that has more to do with dense population in urban areas.

Oneder 05-06-20 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by pcook489 (Post 21456654)
Let me get this straight, Ross. You are going to advocate for mass transit, with all the inherent problems of people in close contact spreading their "contagions" at an enormous pace, with people who decide to be socially responsible and use private transportation for commutes to work/meeting loved ones. Please let me know how this works out for you.

This forum seems to be about 90% deluded hippy types who ride for political reasons instead of simple fun or exercise. However in reality an urban only world is an utter nightmare, just look at china. That is the last thing anyone should be aspiring to.

jon c. 05-06-20 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Oneder (Post 21458651)
This forum seems to be about 90% deluded hippy types who ride for political reasons instead of simple fun or exercise. However in reality an urban only world is an utter nightmare, just look at china. That is the last thing anyone should be aspiring to.

"Hippy types" want an urban only world? That's a new one to me. Doesn't seem grounded in any reality with which I'm familiar.

And "riding for political reasons?" That's pretty far out there. I guess delusion is the order of the day. There's an old saying that the fish rots from the head down.

Oneder 05-06-20 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by jon c. (Post 21458683)
"Hippy types" want an urban only world? That's a new one to me. Doesn't seem grounded in any reality with which I'm familiar.

And "riding for political reasons?" That's pretty far out there. I guess delusion is the order of the day. There's an old saying that the fish rots from the head down.

You going to live in the country with no car? Of course not lol

Stadjer 05-06-20 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by jon c. (Post 21458478)
I suspect that has more to do with dense population in urban areas.

No. This is a specific correlation with air pollution, which only partially correlates with urban areas. For example here hardest hit regions are mainly agricultural but have polluted air. It needs research of course to draw any conclusions, but research is justified.