Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

phrantic09 12-13-21 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22337777)
Okay, Addiction Mechanics - what's wrong with our car and how much are we going to have to pay?

Noticed and irregular ticking/light knocking today, sometimes with a short squeal once every so often (I don't think it's a belt squeal, though) coming from the accessory belt area. Looked/listened under the hood. I don't see any excessive motion from any of the belts and it didn't give me a squeal while recording. The regular ticking is normal, but you should be able to hear that irregular clickity noise under it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3bUdgBskZY

Belt? Tensioner? Bearing going bad in a pulley someplace? :foo:

Sounds like the flux capacitor to me

phrantic09 12-13-21 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22338321)
Did we ever get the Velo Vol approved answer to what goes with the rice?!?

Iím pretty sure for a bowl of white rice itís a garbage bag and garbage can.

rjones28 12-13-21 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22338290)
20 Oz steak and a baked potato

:)

phrantic09 12-13-21 07:52 AM

Not to get into p and r, but we are back under a mask mandate as of today, Facebook is getting interesting.

WhyFi 12-13-21 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22338171)
Well, if you've worked on a stereo this should be pretty straightforward.

I realize that you're doing that VV thing that we all know and love (wherein you mock someone whose skills and abilities in a given area surpass your own to the extent that you don't even know what you don't know), but don't you think that possessing the logical skillset to comprehend the functionality of a individual components within a more complex system, thus allowing you to troubleshoot said system, would apply to both electrical and mechanical systems?

datlas 12-13-21 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22338362)
Not to get into p and r, but we are back under a mask mandate as of today, Facebook is getting interesting.

Masks do kinda make sense for large gatherings. I was at Hannah's concert yesterday and everyone was masked (even the performers when not playing). OTOH I saw a YouTube video of Vegan Cyclist and one snippet was his kid's holiday concert and it looked like no one in the audience that I noticed was wearing a mask. I know it's controversial but it should not be.

Agree leave arguments to P&R.

phrantic09 12-13-21 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22338367)
Masks do kinda make sense for large gatherings. I was at Hannah's concert yesterday and everyone was masked (even the performers when not playing). OTOH I saw a YouTube video of Vegan Cyclist and one snippet was his kid's holiday concert and it looked like no one in the audience that I noticed was wearing a mask. I know it's controversial but it should not be.

Agree leave arguments to P&R.

Iím pleased with it, our cases/100k are high and our positive test rate is getting up there as well.

WhyFi 12-13-21 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22338367)
OTOH I saw a YouTube video of Vegan Cyclist and one snippet was his kid's holiday concert and it looked like no one in the audience that I noticed was wearing a mask. I know it's controversial but it should not be.

I think that I saw an article headline about the challenges of covid in some of the hippy-dippy areas of CA. Bet ya never would have thunk that that'd apply to the VC, would ya?

Velo Vol 12-13-21 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22338321)
Did we ever get the Velo Vol approved answer to what goes with the rice?!?

The most common thing I have is black beans and salsa.

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22338360)
Iím pretty sure for a bowl of white rice itís a garbage bag and garbage can.

Harsh.

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22338366)
I realize that you're doing that VV thing that we all know and love (wherein you mock someone whose skills and abilities in a given area surpass your own to the extent that you don't even know what you don't know), but don't you think that possessing the logical skillset to comprehend the functionality of a individual components within a more complex system, thus allowing you to troubleshoot said system, would apply to both electrical and mechanical systems?

Not really. Completely different.

LAJ 12-13-21 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22338366)

Your Sportwagon is just like his Accord, don'tcha know. Of course, since Velo Vol can drive a 95 Accord, stepping into a 2011 Peterbuilt grossing in at 80,000 pounds, and going down Floyd Hill, should be a walk in the park.

What could go wrong?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...537fc752c3.png

indyfabz 12-13-21 08:29 AM

I am a member of a bike touring group on Facebook. Over the weekend someone posted a link to North Face tent with the word "Assault" in the name. Assault, of course, is a mountaineering term. Can you believe someone took issue with the use of the word? *smh*

Assume he won't be riding the Assault on Mt. Mitchell.

seedsbelize2 12-13-21 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22338401)
Your Sportwagon is just like his Accord, don'tcha know. Of course, since Velo Vol can drive a 95 Accord, stepping into a 2011 Peterbuilt grossing in at 80,000 pounds, and going down Floyd Hill, should be a walk in the park.

What could go wrong?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...537fc752c3.png

Any survivors?

WhyFi 12-13-21 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22338389)
Not really. Completely different.

Of course they're completely different - I'm talking about the way systems function. But there you go - you don't know what you don't know.

WhyFi 12-13-21 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22338401)

What could go wrong?

:twitchy:

seedsbelize2 12-13-21 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22338412)
Of course they're completely different - I'm talking about the way systems function. But there you go - you don't know what you don't know.

Well, to be fair, the ability to install a car stereo and the ability to change a water pump are two different skill sets. I likely still have both sets, but I wouldn't touch the water pump at this stage in my career as a human. As for the stereo, my poor eyesight would likely prevent a positive outcome.
YMMV of course

datlas 12-13-21 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22338375)
I think that I saw an article headline about the challenges of covid in some of the hippy-dippy areas of CA. Bet ya never would have thunk that that'd apply to the VC, would ya?

Yeah, bro. Dude.

Velo Vol 12-13-21 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22338412)

I know what I don't know. I'm not the one here claiming transitive knowledge.

BillyD 12-13-21 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22338358)
Sounds like the flux capacitor to me

No. Clearly he has to get the bore framinized and the barrel glominated.

seedsbelize2 12-13-21 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22338420)
Yeah, bro. Dude.

Right arm!

WhyFi 12-13-21 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22338418)
Well, to be fair, the ability to install a car stereo and the ability to change a water pump are two different skill sets. I likely still have both sets, but I wouldn't touch the water pump at this stage in my career as a human. As for the stereo, my poor eyesight would likely prevent a positive outcome.
YMMV of course

Physically removing and re-installing is a different skillset, yes, but that's not what I'm talking about.

datlas 12-13-21 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22338402)
I am a member of a bike touring group on Facebook. Over the weekend someone posted a link to North Face tent with the word "Assault" in the name. Assault, of course, is a mountaineering term. Can you believe someone took issue with the use of the word? *smh*

Assume he won't be riding the Assault on Mt. Mitchell.

Mt Mitchell is on my to-do list. I don't think it would be the annual Assault. More likely the mountain will be assaulting me anyway.

indyfabz 12-13-21 09:36 AM

An old friend of mine found one of these in the mouth of a red snapper she bought for dinner. It's commonly called a tongue-eating louse. It attaches itself to the base of a fish's tongue and sucks blood until the tongue shrivels up and falls off. WTH.

https://theethogram.files.wordpress....1_c-exigua.jpg

rjones28 12-13-21 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22338389)
The most common thing I have is black beans and salsa.

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22337574)
Gumbo is more than two things.

If salsa fits the definition of "a thing", then so does gumbo.

Case closed.

Velo Vol 12-13-21 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22338469)
Mt Mitchell is on my to-do list. I don't think it would be the annual Assault. More likely the mountain will be assaulting me anyway.

Let me know when.

There's no need to bother with the organized ride, unless you like that experience. It's rideable on your own.

LAJ 12-13-21 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22338411)
Any survivors?

https://kdvr.com/news/local/truck-dr...ly-i-70-crash/