Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

Mojo31 07-08-22 04:03 PM

I think the bike boom is over. Was at the local Trek shop, and they have several 2021 bikes in common sizes marked down 25% that have been sitting for months. Their 2022 road bikes are not moving either with basically the same stock they’ve had since May. Same with nice, late model bikes on CL and FB - sitting with the prices asked doing nothing but dropping.

bampilot06 07-08-22 04:05 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22568354)
I donít know if you are being facetious or not, but yes, you programmed your gears into the unit and it kept track and if I recall, calculated rpmís, too. There were buttons on the side of compatible Shimano shifters. Mine was on a 2003 Santana Sovereign tandem with 9 speed Ultegra.

Like I said, they were very popular with tandem captains.


Not being facetious, had no idea that was a thing before electronic shifting. Thatís pretty cool. Itís amazing how much I actually use that with my SRAM force and garmin unit, and how much I miss it when I ride the other two bikes.

bampilot06 07-08-22 04:08 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22568375)
I think the bike boom is over. Was at the local Trek shop, and they have several 2021 bikes in common sizes marked down 25% that have been sitting for months. Their 2022 road bikes are not moving either with basically the same stock theyíve had since May. Same with nice, late model bikes on CL and FB - sitting with the prices asked doing nothing but dropping.


some say the recession has already started. Maybe the bikes are the telling tale.


I think honestly itís the same issue thatís peloton is having. You have people starting due to covid lock downs and now that everything is back to normal, people are going back to what they used to do. Means some people that started riding bikes will stop riding bikes.

Craigslist will be exciting in the near future.

Mojo31 07-08-22 04:21 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22568377)
Not being facetious, had no idea that was a thing before electronic shifting. That’s pretty cool. It’s amazing how much I actually use that with my SRAM force and garmin unit, and how much I miss it when I ride the other two bikes.

How many do you have? Richey, Cervelo, Madone, what else?

Mojo31 07-08-22 04:22 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22568380)
some say the recession has already started. Maybe the bikes are the telling tale.


I think honestly itís the same issue thatís peloton is having. You have people starting due to covid lock downs and now that everything is back to normal, people are going back to what they used to do. Means some people that started riding bikes will stop riding bikes.

Craigslist will be exciting in the near future.

On the news last night, they were talking about the pets bought during the pandemic being dumped at the pounds.

bampilot06 07-08-22 04:23 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22568391)
How many do you have? Richer, Cervelo, Madone, what else?


Thats it, unless you include the wifeís domane.

bampilot06 07-08-22 04:23 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22568392)
On the news last night, they were talking about the pets bought during the pandemic being dumped at the pounds.


doesnít surprise me. The fact you can get a dog or count and not afford to feed your kids is mind blowing.

Mojo31 07-08-22 04:24 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22568395)
Thats it, unless you include the wifeís domane.

Ah, misread your post.

bampilot06 07-08-22 04:26 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22568399)
Ah, misread your post.


One day I will have all the bikes.

t2p 07-08-22 04:48 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22568357)
Are you sure youíre the captain? 😜




.

Mojo31 07-08-22 04:48 PM

I’m sure!

I won’t. That much has been made clear to me.

t2p 07-08-22 05:16 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0dd369eab.jpeg

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22566988)
Maybe I should will all 6 of my Avocet O2 Air 40Rs to big john, who appreciates them.

Mrs t2p rode an Air 50R back in the day

still on the bike (pictured)

she has not ridden this bike in a while

SoSmellyAir 07-08-22 05:26 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22568354)
I donít know if you are being facetious or not, but yes, you programmed your gears into the unit and it kept track and if I recall, calculated rpmís, too. There were buttons on the side of compatible Shimano shifters. Mine was on a 2003 Santana Sovereign tandem with 9 speed Ultegra.

Like I said, they were very popular with tandem captains.

Wheel RPM or crank RPM? If the latter, how come I still cannot buy a reasonably accurate cadence meter all these years later? No, I don't need a power meter to tell me how meager mine is.

big john 07-08-22 05:28 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22568380)
now that everything is back to normal, people are going back to what they used to do..

We've nearly reached the threshold of requiring masks at indoor settings again, it may happen as soon as next week.

bampilot06 07-08-22 05:28 PM


Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22568454)
Wheel RPM or crank RPM? If the latter, how come I still cannot buy a reasonably accurate cadence meter all these years later? No, I don't need a power meter to tell me how meager mine is.


never had any issues with any of the cadence sensors that I have bought. Chinese, wahoo or sram.

bampilot06 07-08-22 05:33 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22568458)
We've nearly reached the threshold of requiring masks at indoor settings again, it may happen as soon as next week.

Probably accurate, but I would assume majority of the states will not follow. If this is smart or not, is above my head.

SoSmellyAir 07-08-22 05:34 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22568460)
never had any issues with any of the cadence sensors that I have bought. Chinese, wahoo or sram.

Really? That is good to know. When I first looked, about a third of the reviews for the Bluetooth versions state that they are quite inaccurate.

genejockey 07-08-22 05:35 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22568380)
some say the recession has already started. Maybe the bikes are the telling tale.


I think honestly itís the same issue thatís peloton is having. You have people starting due to covid lock downs and now that everything is back to normal, people are going back to what they used to do. Means some people that started riding bikes will stop riding bikes.

Craigslist will be exciting in the near future.

I wonder how much is also market saturation. Like Peloton, at a certain point everyone who suddenly wanted had one.

genejockey 07-08-22 05:39 PM


Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22568446)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0dd369eab.jpeg


Mrs t2p rode an Air 50R back in the day

still on the bike (pictured)

she has not ridden this bike in a while

Yeah, they made them in a variety of shapes. The 40R is the narrowest, then the 40M is wider and the 40W is wider still. Somewhere along the line, they added a recess for pressure relief, which is what 5 out of my 6 have. Works a treat!

genejockey 07-08-22 05:39 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22568458)
We've nearly reached the threshold of requiring masks at indoor settings again, it may happen as soon as next week.

HA! I never stopped!

bampilot06 07-08-22 05:46 PM


Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22568467)
Really? That is good to know. When I first looked, about a third of the reviews for the Bluetooth versions state that they are quite inaccurate.


I have the chinese on the Ritchey, Wahoo was on the cervelo but now I have a stages left arm power meter, and sram force on the madone. I switch between all three bikes pretty regularly and have never noticed a difference. With the amount that I ride I would imagine it would be pretty obvious if one was off.

Trsnrtr 07-08-22 05:47 PM


Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 22568454)
Wheel RPM or crank RPM? If the latter, how come I still cannot buy a reasonably accurate cadence meter all these years later? No, I don't need a power meter to tell me how meager mine is.

I think it calculated cadence rpm from speed and gearing. It was an amazing device in its day. You can google it. There is a lot of info on the net about it. There have been threads on it here on BF, too.

seedsbelize2 07-08-22 05:53 PM


Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22568418)

Thanks for the memory. I had that album in my freshman year of college.

big john 07-08-22 06:15 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22568477)
HA! I never stopped!

We still wear ours at the grocery store even though most people do not. I carry one on the bike but haven't been wearing it when we stop for snacks. We do always eat outside.
Was going to meet the guys at the old job and go to lunch last week but one of them got the 'vid and was pretty sick. I wanted to see him and ask about how they are jerking him around a bit, kinda like they did to me when they thought they had a replacement for me (he told them no at the last minute). This guy has been there 25 years and works harder than nearly anyone there yet they are risking losing him.

genejockey 07-08-22 06:22 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22568524)
We still wear ours at the grocery store even though most people do not. I carry one on the bike but haven't been wearing it when we stop for snacks. We do always eat outside.
Was going to meet the guys at the old job and go to lunch last week but one of them got the 'vid and was pretty sick. I wanted to see him and ask about how they are jerking him around a bit, kinda like they did to me when they thought they had a replacement for me (he told them no at the last minute). This guy has been there 25 years and works harder than nearly anyone there yet they are risking losing him.

I remember years ago at Genentech, there was a growing number of non-PhD folks like me, Senior Research Associates (then), who had 8-10 years of lab experience and wanted to continue to take on more responsibility, etc. This conflicted with the academic model that PhDs are the only "real" Scientists. One of the higher ups in Research infamously said, "Why would we want to retain a Senior Research Associate, when we can hire 3 kids fresh out of college for the same salary?"

Of course, what he discovered was that 3 kids fresh out of college don't know what they're doing, and end up needing more supervision, and are less productive.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.