Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   gravel tire recomendation (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1221110)

bretton007 01-08-21 06:21 AM

gravel tire recomendation

I am looking for a good light gravel / road tire size 700/32
I will use them 60% road / 40% gravel. I currently use a G1 Schwalbe in a 35 however they do not make them in a 32

cloud 01-08-21 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by bretton007 (Post 21867858)
I am looking for a good light gravel / road tire size 700/32
I will use them 60% road / 40% gravel. I currently use a G1 Schwalbe in a 35 however they do not make them in a 32

I went with the schwalbe marathon in 32's. I ride about 50/50 road -gravel.

Dino_Sore 01-08-21 08:06 AM

I have used the Panaracer Gravel King Plus in a 32mm. I liked them for mixed road/gravel rides, and I often took them on pretty rough stuff where I had no business going on a 32mm slick. They held up well as long as I was careful with my speed in the nasty bits. They rode nicely on the pavement, but definitely felt a bit slower than a true road tire.

The only negative I had with them was getting them to seat on my Stans Grail wheels. I really had to soap the crap out of the beads and pull the core out of the valve to get them to seat. Much more difficult than any other gravel tires I have used.

mstateglfr 01-08-21 08:58 AM

panaracer gravel king slick(regular, not + version). comes in tan or black wall. I have some GK slick in 28 and GK SS in 43- good tire overall.
compass/RH stampede pass. comes in tan or black wall and 4 different casings. ive read the standard casing is enough for most mixed surface riding. havent used em before.

tdilf 01-08-21 08:58 AM

I use Continental GP5000 in 32 on my "road wheel" set. They are surprisingly good on pavement. These would be fine for rail-to-trail type gravel riding as well.

Barrettscv 01-08-21 03:49 PM

The 700x30 Schwable G One Speed measures 32mm wide on a 23mm external width Velocity A23 rim. These are fast performance tires that have very low rolling resistance but are tough enough for gravel. Ive used these for many years and never a flat.

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalb...00c-98628.html

shelbyfv 01-08-21 04:14 PM

I've used the GravelKing slicks in both 28 and 32. They aren't bad on pavement, seem reasonably supple and quiet. I've ridden them on graded dirt roads and I think they did as well as any tire that narrow. They seem to be very durable.

Kapusta 01-09-21 07:42 AM

Rene Herse Stampede Pass EL is a ridiculously fast and supple 32mm tire.

I liked them a lot on mild gravel roads. Ended up going with bigger versions, but these were the tires than sold me on Compass (AKA Rene Herse).

Can’t speak to tubeless capability, if that is a concern. But seeing as they just recently figured it out on the larger tires, I would not count on it for the smaller ones like this.

All that said, if you can clear a 35, I'd get the Bon Jon Pass (which is what I did).

shelbyfv 01-09-21 09:04 AM

^^^ I think the EL is the lightest of the tires mentioned. Most are about 290g for 32s, the EL is 254g. Also almost double the price of the others, definitely a commitment! :thumb:

Hmmm 01-13-21 08:20 AM

The WTB Exposure 700x32 look pretty cool. I haven’t ridden them. I can say the Conti GP5000s are a dream on paved surfaces.

mstateglfr 01-13-21 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hmmm (Post 21875779)
The WTB Exposure 700x32 look pretty cool. I haven’t ridden them.

A couple months ago I looked at the Exposure and Expanse tires for my main road bike.

First off, those names are way too similar. Things are further complicated since Exposure used to be 32, but is now 30mm or 36mm. The Expanse is now their 32mm tire and it has some textured tread on the sides.
They look really neat and if an Exposure tread came in 32 I may have even paid the higher price compared to good alternatives.

shoota 01-13-21 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21875870)
A couple months ago I looked at the Exposure and Expanse tires for my main road bike.

First off, those names are way too similar. Things are further complicated since Exposure used to be 32, but is now 30mm or 36mm. The Expanse is now their 32mm tire and it has some textured tread on the sides.
They look really neat and if an Exposure tread came in 32 I may have even paid the higher price compared to good alternatives.

I just installed a pair of the older 32mm Exposures on my mom's bike yesterday for dedicated road use and I must say, I kinda wish I had kept them. They're pretty light weight (just a tad over 300g) and roll really well with great plush sidewalls.