Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Disc brake pad longevity (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1220934)

headwind15 01-05-21 08:16 PM

Disc brake pad longevity

I was recently checking out my disc pads, and was alarmed about how the were already almost down to metal on metal. I understand that it is difficult to come up with a measurement to be looking for, I mean hours, or miles. The thing is that as a roadie, gee I used to basically never wear out brake pads. I put side pulls on a road bike in 1978. I toured on that bike from San Francisco to Atlanta (4,200 miles) and had not replaced the brake pads 10 years later. I think these disc pads lasted about 10 mountain bike rides. Maybe someone comparing V brake pad wear would be better, as I recognize that mountain biking requires harder braking force,. I would like to hear your experience.

cxwrench 01-05-21 09:01 PM

Disc brake pads can last from 1 hour to more than a year. If you do a muddy/wet CX race they won't last the whole hour. If you only ride in the dry and don't descend much, they last for ages. I doubt your pads are nearly worn out unless it's been wet every ride. There are metallic compound pads that last longer but they're noisier and wear the rotors faster. I'd stay w/ the resin pads.
Comparing disc brake pad life to V brake pad life is pretty reasonable, they're actually pretty close.

DeadGrandpa 01-05-21 09:36 PM

If you want your disk brake pads to last a long time, I recommend using a spray lubricant on your cassette and chain. I used a farm/industrial lanolin based lube called "Fluid Film". I liked it because it had no petroleum solvents. However, the overspray found its way to the rear brake rotor, and now all my braking is on my front wheel. It's a good thing I live in very flat terrain. I really need to replace those rear brake pads.

I recommend that you don't worry about the life of the brake pads. Just replace when necessary.

c_m_shooter 01-06-21 07:18 AM

Yes, disk brake pads seem to wear out faster than rim brakes. I only remember changing pads on V brakes one time over the span of several bikes in about 10 years. Ever since they phased out V brakes I need to keep spare pads around, and every bike uses a different style.

sloppy12 01-06-21 07:21 AM

My cargo bike maybe 6 months so like 1500 miles.

headwind15 01-06-21 07:31 AM

Disc brake pad longevity

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 21864448)
Disc brake pads can last from 1 hour to more than a year. If you do a muddy/wet CX race they won't last the whole hour. If you only ride in the dry and don't descend much, they last for ages. I doubt your pads are nearly worn out unless it's been wet every ride. There are metallic compound pads that last longer but they're noisier and wear the rotors faster. I'd stay w/ the resin pads.
Comparing disc brake pad life to V brake pad life is pretty reasonable, they're actually pretty close.

Wow, I really like your input. The pads are warn down to about the thickness of paper, so I believe that it would be prudent to replace them. I definitely feel lucky that I checked them, as one more ride and I would think that they would have gone to the metal to metal stage.

prj71 01-06-21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by headwind15 (Post 21864389)
I was recently checking out my disc pads, and was alarmed about how the were already almost down to metal on metal. I understand that it is difficult to come up with a measurement to be looking for, I mean hours, or miles. The thing is that as a roadie, gee I used to basically never wear out brake pads. I put side pulls on a road bike in 1978. I toured on that bike from San Francisco to Atlanta (4,200 miles) and had not replaced the brake pads 10 years later. I think these disc pads lasted about 10 mountain bike rides. Maybe someone comparing V brake pad wear would be better, as I recognize that mountain biking requires harder braking force,. I would like to hear your experience.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Brakes are used more in less miles on a mountain bike vs. a road bike.

Just ride it and don't worry about it.

Kapusta 01-07-21 11:38 AM

I’m still on my first set pads on my gravel bike for 4 years.

MTB... typically a year-ish., but on occasion much less than that.