Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Rene Herse tires standard vs ultralight (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1255728)

squirtdad 07-25-22 06:14 PM

Rene Herse tires standard vs ultralight

As I am deciding as to whether to drink the rene herse kool aid (only 32mm) if any one has had any experience with the standard vs ultralight casing? ride, punctures, other?

thx

davester 07-25-22 10:33 PM

I have used both and quite frankly I can't tell the difference. However, I haven't done any rigorous blind side-by-side testing, so YMMV. I've also used both flavors of the Soma Supple Vitesse tires which seem almost identical to the Rene Herse tires. I do say that all of these tires are tangibly smoother and quieter to ride than any prior tires I've used.

gugie 07-25-22 11:06 PM

Ultralights will flat more often, I'd only recommend them for skinny riders who might notice the difference.

Make sure you get a good finance rate.

52telecaster 07-25-22 11:33 PM

I bought a set of soma rando ex tires in 650bx42 because they were 40 a piece. I will let you guys know how my ample size crushes them. Also bought the hd version for the same price. I may tour on those.

Germany_chris 07-26-22 01:05 AM

I commute on ultralights and have had one flat in two years. I have standards on a other bikes and have not had a problem but I also don't notice any ride difference between them.

Positron400 07-26-22 01:57 AM

Is there any way to get them Rene Herese Tyres somewhat affordable? I'd love to try them myself (Europe), but 80+ USD/EUR is outside my concieveable pricerange.

GhostRider62 07-26-22 05:14 AM

I've spent a few grands on them.

I have never worn the tread out on them.

ascherer 07-26-22 07:04 AM

I run the light casings in the Bon Jon Pass size (36?) on a couple of bikes and pound the heck out of them. I weigh about 190 and have ridden them a few thousand miles all over NYC, and on dirt/gravel/sometimes worse. Over 3 seasons I experienced 3 flats caused by glass (it's NYC after all) and one item that looked like a stud earring. I put the standard casing on my wife's two bikes and she totally notices the difference from other tires - and she's not an experienced rider. The PX-10 I bought from @jonwvara has Bon Jons but I can't remember which casing they have. Final note: in a grudging concession to the past, I took the 23mm, 95 PSI Michelin Pros off my Mercian and mounted a set of 25mm Soma Supple Vitesse that were on sale for half the price of the RH equivalents and they feel quite nice. Good tires make a difference, and we deserve them.

The Golden Boy 07-26-22 11:44 AM

I have the regular casing Bon Jon Pass tires on 3 bikes now- I think I’ve flatted once.

I haven’t used the xtra supple casing tires.

I think they’re totally worth the money- but I haven’t bought a set in a year or two; I haven’t checked how much they are these days…

davester 07-26-22 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Positron400 (Post 22587805)
Is there any way to get them Rene Herese Tyres somewhat affordable? I'd love to try them myself (Europe), but 80+ USD/EUR is outside my concieveable pricerange.

I don't think so, but sometimes the Soma Supple Vitesse tires go on sale. They recently had some that were over 50% off. I snagged a couple but I don't think they're on sale any more.

repechage 07-26-22 12:33 PM

I have found the Soma tires tight upon initial install, after a month or two the folding bead stretches.

esasjl 07-26-22 12:58 PM

RH tyres are expensive (not far off a decent car tyre) but I've not bought anything else for a while. At 26" I'm using RTPs (Compass versions) and Humpties, with 26 mm and 32 mm in 700c. I've not worn any out yet. I've had one puncture in a rear Cayuse Pass after hitting a tarmac pothole that also bent the rim. Lightly used versions appear occasionally on Ebay for about half price.

amedias 07-26-22 02:33 PM

I've used both casing types in numerous sizes from 26mm up to 42mm for quite a few years now, the extralights *are* better/comfier than standard casing but the standard casing are 'more better' than most other tyres out there so I only use the extralights on my audax/rando rides when it's either going to be very long (over 300KM) or very rough, otherwise standard casing is my default choice now.

I've not noticed any more punctures with the EL casing, and in general (touches wood) I've had fewer punctures with Compass/RH tyres than any other brand over about ~15-20,000KM worth of use, I even use them on my winter SS bike which gets ridden in all sorts of filth and crappy roads of South West England and they've been reliable, comfy and fast.

They are however expensive, very expensive, (but then so are other really good tyres), the biggest problem I've found with using them is that now whenever I ride a bike without them it feels rubbish, and I want to fit them. They have genuinely turned me into a tyre snob :-(

If you want 90% of the speed with 75% of the comfort at 50% of the price then Panaracer Gravel king slicks are my next favourite.
The Gand Bois offerings are also pretty damn good, and much much cheaper, even bough direct from japan and paying shipping, although I normally source them from a shop in the Netherlands.
I'm also very fond of Challenge tyres (the open tubular casing ones, not vulcanised), but they're also expensive, not quite as fast, not quite as comfy and a bit heavier, so for me it's easier to justify spending the extra on RH.

repechage 07-26-22 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by amedias (Post 22588480)
I've used both casing types in numerous sizes from 26mm up to 42mm for quite a few years now, the extralights *are* better/comfier than standard casing but the standard casing are 'more better' than most other tyres out there so I only use the extralights on my audax/rando rides when it's either going to be very long (over 300KM) or very rough, otherwise standard casing is my default choice now.

I've not noticed any more punctures with the EL casing, and in general (touches wood) I've had fewer punctures with Compass/RH tyres than any other brand over about ~15-20,000KM worth of use, I even use them on my winter SS bike which gets ridden in all sorts of filth and crappy roads of South West England and they've been reliable, comfy and fast.

They are however expensive, very expensive, (but then so are other really good tyres), the biggest problem I've found with using them is that now whenever I ride a bike without them it feels rubbish, and I want to fit them. They have genuinely turned me into a tyre snob :-(

If you want 90% of the speed with 75% of the comfort at 50% of the price then Panaracer Gravel king slicks are my next favourite.
The Gand Bois offerings are also pretty damn good, and much much cheaper, even bough direct from japan and paying shipping, although I normally source them from a shop in the Netherlands.
I'm also very fond of Challenge tyres (the open tubular casing ones, not vulcanised), but they're also expensive, not quite as fast, not quite as comfy and a bit heavier, so for me it's easier to justify spending the extra on RH.

I liked the Challenge tires- P/R but the side walls opened up adjacent to the rim.
and I don't ride low pressures I use like 85-95
why I migrated to the soma

Positron400 07-26-22 03:04 PM

Soma are impossible to come by, where I live. Will "stick" with panaracer/schwalbe for the foreseeable future.

Andy_K 07-26-22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Positron400 (Post 22587805)

You used to be able to get Panaracer Pari Motos a lot cheaper. Now they're a bit more than half the price ($45 each) of RH standard most places. I believe they're actually thinner than the RH tires, and they don't last as long. They might be a cheap way to tell if you like the concept, but if you do you'll probably end up spending the full price on a set of RH sooner or later.

squirtdad 07-26-22 03:46 PM

to add to the fun, regular or extra light tubes?

Duke7777 07-26-22 04:17 PM

I have about 15,000 km on a set of RH 650x38 extralights and they are still going strong. I've had about three punctures over 8 years of riding them, from small bits of glass working their way in. I ride mostly in and around the city, but am light and fairly easy on tires. I've never tried the regular casing so I can't compare the ride to the EL, but the EL is great: fast, smooth, comfortable and grippy.

I also very much like the Grand Bois EL, which are a bit less expensive than the RH. I haven't put enough miles on them to comment on the durability, but the ride is fantastic - very similar to the RH EL.

However, on most of my bikes I use Gravel King slicks, and completely agree with Amedias' assessment of them. I can feel the difference in performance between these and the EL tires from RH and GB, but it's not enough to bother me when I switch bikes.

ehcoplex 07-26-22 05:31 PM

No exp. re: std vs UL, but as others have already said.... RH tires seem in a league of their own. I'm sure to regret even saying this, but I haven't had a flat riding the bikes I have with RH tires, I'm guessing about 3k miles, about 20% gravel, the rest just generally crappy small-town-US rural roads. I've got Grand Bois Hetres on my main ride now- they were on sale and I wanted to try a cheaper alternative to RH, but the RH 35c tires on another bike feel nicer, so when I wear the Hetres out I'll be getting some 42c RH for that bike.

USAZorro 07-26-22 05:54 PM

Have never gotten utralights. Very pleased with the standard (Compass still at the time I bought them). Not high miles on an of them (have a couple of the even-previous Grand Bois that have considerable miles), but zero flats.

davester 07-26-22 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 22588544)
to add to the fun, regular or extra light tubes?

I almost always buy extra light butyl tubes because they are barely any more money and provide a significant grams/$ bonus compared to just about any other weight weenie upgrade. I've not noticed any increase in flats, which seems logical since anything sharp that makes it through the tire is almost certainly going to puncture any kind of tube. For a while, way back when, I tried latex tubes but those are just a PITA.

Dfrost 07-26-22 09:43 PM

I’ve been using Compass/RH ultralight casings in 700x28, 700x32, and 650Bx38 for a over 20,000 miles between three bikes (four wheel sets including wife’s), riding all over the PNW and extensively on Seattle’s crappy streets. Flats have not been a noticeable problem (Hope that didn’t awaken the Flat Karma Gods!), and I routinely get about 7000 miles/tire, mounting the new one in front and move the old front to the rear. So cost/tire isn’t really an issue. I might feel that differently in my wallet if I had a big fleet like some of you!

Positron400 07-27-22 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Andy_K (Post 22588518)
You used to be able to get Panaracer Pari Motos a lot cheaper. Now they're a bit more than half the price ($45 each) of RH standard most places. I believe they're actually thinner than the RH tires, and they don't last as long. They might be a cheap way to tell if you like the concept, but if you do you'll probably end up spending the full price on a set of RH sooner or later.

Yea, Pari Motos seem to be more my pricerange, but apparently they only come in 650B? I currently only have 700C rims, so those wont work :( - Or am I missing something in terms of tyre sizes?

ehcoplex 07-27-22 05:17 AM

I feel compelled to add to the discussion that, at least in my experience, RH tires are an absolute b**ch to get the bead initially seated properly. Soap & water, different types of rim tape, massaging to the point of serious hand cramps, a couple blown-out tubes when trying hard-and-fast inflation.... it was a multi-day process with one set. Worth it in the end, but still...

amedias 07-27-22 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by ehcoplex (Post 22588974)
I feel compelled to add to the discussion that, at least in my experience, RH tires are an absolute b**ch to get the bead initially seated properly. Soap & water, different types of rim tape, massaging to the point of serious hand cramps, a couple blown-out tubes when trying hard-and-fast inflation.... it was a multi-day process with one set. Worth it in the end, but still...

That's very rim dependant...

I've used them on a lot of different rims, a non exhaustive list below, but ease of fitting ranged from 'swearing and ranting to the point of demonic possession' all the way down to 'I dropped the tyres in the vicinity of the rims and they somehow magically fitted themselves'

Mavic Open Pro
Mavic Open Sport
Mavic MA2
Halo Retro
Halo Vapour
Kinlin XR series
Kinlin ADHN
Pacenti Brevet in both 650B and 700c
Velo Orange Diagonale
Specialized OEM gravel rims (Some kind of Alex I think)
Alex MD21
Thorn/SJS 650B rims
Wolber Super Champion 650B
H Plus Son TB14
Rigida Chrina