Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   POLL: Do you have a Brooks saddle? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1223903)

Hypno Toad 02-17-21 07:48 AM

POLL: Do you have a Brooks saddle?

My first time setting up a poll ... let's see if I've had enough coffee to figure this out. :crash:

Retro Grouch 02-17-21 08:30 AM

None of the boxes exactly fit my situation.

Once I discovered that Brooks saddles eliminated my "numb manhood" issue I went all Brooks until I stopped riding diamond frame bicycles.

10 Wheels 02-17-21 08:34 AM

Tried one for 400 miles. It did not work for me.

Germany_chris 02-17-21 08:34 AM

I just pulled my Brooks for a Berthoud but yes I like Brooks

Brett A 02-17-21 08:52 AM

Yes. I can sit on the B17 on my Surly Trucker for as many hours as there are in a day. As comfortable as a car ride.

Toadmeister 02-17-21 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 21927888)
Tried one for 400 miles. It did not work for me.

Probably because you needed 401 miles to break it in ;)

alcjphil 02-17-21 09:05 AM

I have a Brooks Team Pro that I bought for $25 at a swap meet. Turned out that I knew the original owner who simply couldn't get used to it. It currently resides on my touring bike. My brother tried the bike out and didn't like my Brooks. It works perfectly fine for me. I also have a spare that came as original equipment on my 1973 Raleigh Professional. It is well worn, but still functional.

55murray 02-17-21 09:12 AM

I had one on my cruiser for nearly 2 years, finally gave up. Never felt right.

Troul 02-17-21 09:16 AM

Had a Brook, she was a good friend back in school. Kinda lost touch after that though.

bikemig 02-17-21 09:16 AM

I read somewhere that a remarkably high number of riders at Paris Brest Paris use leather saddles. That might mean that they really work for marathon cycling events. Or it might just mean that anyone who does a ride like that is a masochist to begin with and understandably wants a saddle that brings home the pain.

Here we go,

http://postrestant.co.uk/wp-content/...quipsurvey.pdf

TakingMyTime 02-17-21 09:21 AM

B17 owner. I find them to be not only a quality product but very comfortable.

chaadster 02-17-21 09:24 AM

Flawed poll. No option for those who had one but don’t have one now because they were indifferent, found it silly, or found it pointless for the extra work required and excessive weight.

I had a leather one many years ago, back before they were trendy, and a Cambium not so long ago which was shockingly heavy and sold for being a stupid piece of kit.

I still have a French Ideale 90 in the stable, but just for the vintage look kick.

70sSanO 02-17-21 09:25 AM

You are missing a category...

Had a Brooks saddle. Liked it, but moved on. No regrets.

I rode a Brooks Team Pro for 25 years. After getting into mountain bikes, I liked the saddle I used on my hardtail and put one on my road bike.

John

Hypno Toad 02-17-21 09:32 AM

OP here ... here's my collection:

C-15 Carved on my gravel-adventure bike, I've used this saddle happily for endurance rides including The DAMn (240 miles in one day)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8573f03d10.jpg

Old C-17 on my drop-bar Pugsley, love this for deep winter (-20F & colder) and summer gravel-adventure rides. I've used this saddle on my century rides, as well as winter errands.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3820a14f5e.jpg

My first Brooks - B-17 Special with pounded copper rivets - countless miles and this is so comfy I ride miles with jeans (commuter jeans) for social met ups (in the Before-Times when we could social met up).

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...925dd05c70.jpg

DangerousDanR 02-17-21 09:56 AM

I had several Brooks saddles in my youth. In the early 1980s I switched to a Sella Italia Turbo because that what was on my new ride and it was just fine.

When I moved to Fargo 10 years ago I had two synthetic base saddles fail in the first couple of winters. I have not had any failures since switching over to Brooks B17. Not sure I want one on my summer ride, but I may try one of the ones I already have on the tandem this summer.

Phil_gretz 02-17-21 09:59 AM

I currently ride Brooks, Gyes and Ideale. I have also ridden Fujita and Wrights. I prefer leather slung saddles of this type WHEN the type of bicycle warrants it. So, I don't use them when the saddle to bar drop is beyond 3" or so, or where absolute weight savings are a must. Otherwise, they're terrific.

I've had well over a dozen Brooks-like saddle. Don't overlook the Fujita saddles, particularly their Professional models. Pretty darned nice.

The modern production B-17 isn't very good at all. The leather is miserably thin and compliant. It'll stretch out much faster than previous generations did. Do not recommend.

jack pot 02-17-21 10:00 AM

had 1 for ten years

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f3d304ce6.jpeg

Hypno Toad 02-17-21 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 21927983)
Flawed poll. No option for those who had one but don’t have one now because they were indifferent, found it silly, or found it pointless for the extra work required and excessive weight.

I had a leather one many years ago, back before they were trendy, and a Cambium not so long ago which was shockingly heavy and sold for being a stupid piece of kit.

I still have a French Ideale 90 in the stable, but just for the vintage look kick.

Sorry, BF only allows 10 responses ... and I needed to include the Mel Brooks option, so your response couldn't be included :rolleyes:

Or you could just use 'No, had one that never fit me right' - fit could include 'not my thing', just sayin

Troul 02-17-21 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 21928063)
Sorry, BF only allows 10 responses ... and I needed to include the Mel Brooks option, so your response couldn't be included :rolleyes:

Or you could just use 'No, had one that never fit me right' - fit could include 'not my thing', just sayin

Option for: "No, they just are not aesthetically pleasing" ???

I give this thread 2 Stars, wouldn't recommend.

Hypno Toad 02-17-21 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 21928074)
Option for: "No, they just are not aesthetically pleasing" ???

I give this thread 2 Stars, wouldn't recommend.

LOL! You're wrong, Brooks looks awesome ... and LMAO!

chaadster 02-17-21 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 21928063)

I also voted for the Mel Brooks option, BTW!

Branko D 02-17-21 10:30 AM

I do and I really like the B17 on my touring and occasionally commuting bike, pretty great for all day comfort in regular clothing, but I can similarly spend the whole day on my road bike which has a Specialized Power saddle and I get on fine with one of Cobb TT saddles and so on and I guess my behind just isn't very persnickety as long as the saddle is wide enough to be properly supportive; I don't like them narrow, and I do like a cutout saddle of some sort.

WaveyGravey 02-17-21 10:52 AM

Just purchased a B17. Have yet to install and give it a try.

79pmooney 02-17-21 11:08 AM

I checked 'No and never tried one". I did ride a very good Fuji America Brooks Pro near copy for several years on my workhorse commuter. Excellent seat - except I slide fore and aft over the full length of a seat. Sitting on the nose, "riding the rivet" and actually sitting on a rivet? Leather directly on cold steel. Not fun. When that sweet bike was stolen (the best of my five workhorse fix gears by quite a bit) I thanked the thief for taking that killer seat off my hands. The very used Peugeot label seat I put on that bike's replacement was radically more comfortable until my undersides changed. Now it's modern seats with cutouts by that same manufacturer. (Terry label and design, I believe still made by Selle Italia.)

delbiker1 02-17-21 11:13 AM

I did not check a box as my situation is not covered. I do have a Brooks B17 narrow and very much dislike it. I tried for months to get to where I could use it for extended rides, but about an hour was the most I could ride on it without a lot of discomfort. I have tried to sell it, at what I believe to be a low price, with no success. Maybe I will give it another try.