Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

Velo Vol 08-19-21 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22190850)
Ours left today for her vacation. She returns next Tuesday.

Needs a break from the daily grind?

Mojo31 08-19-21 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22190865)
Needs a break from the daily grind?

Every dog is entitled to its day.

WhyFi 08-19-21 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22190531)
I went to the one in San Francisco a few years back. It felt like the Neiman-Marcus of bike apparel. High quality but prices to match. Cool posters on the walls.

Their Core line isn't bad, even at full price. Their higher end stuff gets discounted regularly, too.

ls01 08-19-21 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22190198)
Nice! :)

I received a shipment from The Black Bibs today. I'm trying out their $40 bibs that have gotten a lot of great reviews. They look really good, on first inspection - nice fabric and a cushy chamois.

I have a bunch of them in all $ ranges. They work really well , very satisfied with them

DougRNS 08-19-21 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22190507)

I'll make a note of that someday when I'm old.

ls01 08-19-21 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22190393)
I was hoping to pick up a No.2 while I was in town, but no dice.

Doing it wrong. See George Carlin for proper instructions.

MoAlpha 08-19-21 11:05 AM

A new thing I've noticed about being old is that not only do I need more time to recover from hard rides, but that too much rest makes me slow. I've definitely been strongest this season after periods of heavier training, even though I was stressed. There seems to be a fine line between exhaustion and loss of that last edge of fitness.

In other news, just as my oak mite bites were getting better, I was stung three times by something nasty on the way home from work, yesterday. Now that has stopped hurting and started itching too.

genejockey 08-19-21 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22190890)
Every dog is entitled to its day.

Whether the cat will mew is entirely optional.

Mojo31 08-19-21 11:21 AM

Something happened last night.

2022 is starting to look like an expensive year.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e543a0c6f1.jpg

genejockey 08-19-21 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22191038)
I have a bunch of them in all $ ranges. They work really well , very satisfied with them

I seem to be the lone dissenting voice. I got the $60 bibs. Quality is good, at least as good as the $100 Louis Garneaus I've been buying since Time Immemorial. Fit is also good - BETTER than the LGs. However, the pad is too thick over the sitbones, so it actually seems to create pressure points there that I don't get with the thinner pad in the LGs. Worse than that, though, is the slickness of the outer fabric. They allow me to slide around on the saddle, and since my preferred saddle is a 'wave' type (lower in the middle than the ends, I end up sliding forward in to the trough, and have to keep pushing myself back to put my butt where it belongs on the saddle.

So, for me that was $60 wasted. I really need to give them a try on all my bikes, which now have a number of differently shaped saddles, and maybe I'll find one that works. If not, they'll hang unused in the closet.

indyfabz 08-19-21 11:24 AM

Feels terrific and fits.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b1db33345.jpeg

genejockey 08-19-21 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22191110)
A new thing I've noticed about being old is that not only do I need more time to recover from hard rides, but that too much rest makes me slow. I've definitely been strongest this season after periods of heavier training, even though I was stressed. There seems to be a fine line between exhaustion and loss of that last edge of fitness.

In other news, just as my oak mite bites were getting better, I was stung three times by something nasty on the way home from work, yesterday. Now that has stopped hurting and started itching too.

I feel like the first 3 rides since I got back from almost 2 weeks off the bike (last Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday) I was 'off'. While riding, I felt like I was going reasonably hard, but my times weren't great, and I was sore for a longer time after. Tuesday's ride was one of those 'Legs just don't have it' rides.

Last night was a lot better. I felt more 'at one' with the bike, even though it was Mrs. Peel and not one of my brifter bikes. Even with friction shifting, it felt like I was in tune with the bike. Maybe I've recovered from the rest? Next ride is tomorrow, unless I convince Mrs. GJ to clear her stuff out of the garage so I can Zwift (that woman is like a gas - her stuff expands to fill any available space)

MoAlpha 08-19-21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22191156)
I feel like the first 3 rides since I got back from almost 2 weeks off the bike (last Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday) I was 'off'. While riding, I felt like I was going reasonably hard, but my times weren't great, and I was sore for a longer time after. Tuesday's ride was one of those 'Legs just don't have it' rides.

Last night was a lot better. I felt more 'at one' with the bike, even though it was Mrs. Peel and not one of my brifter bikes. Even with friction shifting, it felt like I was in tune with the bike. Maybe I've recovered from the rest? Next ride is tomorrow, unless I convince Mrs. GJ to clear her stuff out of the garage so I can Zwift (that woman is like a gas - her stuff expands to fill any available space)

For me, two weeks off would dig a hole requiring another two weeks to climb out of.

indyfabz 08-19-21 11:49 AM

Lplo

big john 08-19-21 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22191179)
For me, two weeks off would dig a hole requiring another two weeks to climb out of.

At least. I can't remember the last time I took 2 weeks off the bike, I think it was in my late 40s, so 20 years. This week I am taking 3 straight days off to see if whatever is going on with my heart/copd will calm down.

Mojo31 08-19-21 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22191179)

I have experienced that.

big john 08-19-21 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22191215)
I have experienced that.

I took 6 months off in 1988 after a crash and I gained 35 pounds.

MoAlpha 08-19-21 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22191214)
At least. I can't remember the last time I took 2 weeks off the bike, I think it was in my late 40s, so 20 years. This week I am taking 3 straight days off to see if whatever is going on with my heart/copd will calm down.

I've done it in June and September most years and come back okay, but only after some struggle. Not this year, though, between canceled Bermuda races and LSS's cancer treatment.

big john 08-19-21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22191238)
I've done it in June and September most years and come back okay, but only after some struggle. Not this year, though, between canceled Bermuda races and LSS's cancer treatment.

I had always been able to get back to where I could do any of the rides we do with just a little bit of preparation and I could always get from my normal mediocrity to ready for a century with a 50 mile hilly ride the Wednesday before the Saturday century. The last few years of working took a lot out of me and I thought retirement would be like being 50 again.
Instead, it took months to make substantial gains but it finally did start happening. I got to where I was feeling pretty good and friends even noticed. Still need more rest than years ago and I get sore sometimes when I don't think I should. Like doing a 60 mile ride and feel fine during the ride but later feel like I did a lot more. Weird.

Then last month I really overdid it and now all bets are off.

bampilot06 08-19-21 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22191142)

congrats, I think……..

Bah Humbug 08-19-21 12:41 PM

Congrats! But AG and I spent $65.

bampilot06 08-19-21 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22191273)
Congrats! But AG and I spent $65.

I think mine was like 20 plus three zeros.

I was in California and Alaska the whole time it was planned.

Eric F 08-19-21 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22191038)

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22191145)
I seem to be the lone dissenting voice. I got the $60 bibs. Quality is good, at least as good as the $100 Louis Garneaus I've been buying since Time Immemorial. Fit is also good - BETTER than the LGs. However, the pad is too thick over the sitbones, so it actually seems to create pressure points there that I don't get with the thinner pad in the LGs. Worse than that, though, is the slickness of the outer fabric. They allow me to slide around on the saddle, and since my preferred saddle is a 'wave' type (lower in the middle than the ends, I end up sliding forward in to the trough, and have to keep pushing myself back to put my butt where it belongs on the saddle.

So, for me that was $60 wasted. I really need to give them a try on all my bikes, which now have a number of differently shaped saddles, and maybe I'll find one that works. If not, they'll hang unused in the closet.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will be giving mine their first try tonight. I tend to like a thicker pad, but slippery fabric could be an issue.

MoAlpha 08-19-21 01:03 PM

Why do they all have beards? The boys, I mean.

Mojo31 08-19-21 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22191303)
Why do they all have beards? The boys, I mean.

I don't know. Maybe because everyone is working from home and doesn't have to look a certain way? Plus, he's an engineer and doesn't have to do the suit thing.