Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Opinion on White industries versus ACS PAWS 4.1 freewheels (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1240931)

drlogik 10-21-21 06:04 PM

Opinion on White industries versus ACS PAWS 4.1 freewheels

Looking for opinions....

I know White makes very good, very robust freewheels but they do cost $100 bucks. Are they 75% better than my $25 dollar ACS? Thinking about getting one since I got a new chain and chain ring.

TejanoTrackie 10-21-21 07:07 PM

That would be 400 % better. But, anyway, the WI Eno freewheels are much better than anything else. Quantifying how much is difficult, but I think you will appreciate the improvement and not regret paying the extra cost.

drlogik 10-21-21 07:15 PM

That would be 400 % better.
Yeah, I noticed that and decided not to change. I gather you have a White?

TejanoTrackie 10-21-21 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by drlogik (Post 22278407)
Yeah, I noticed that and decided not to change. I gather you have a White?

Yes, and it’s light years better than my other economy freewheels.

veganbikes 10-21-21 09:01 PM

Another +1 for WI I have two and they are super high quality and well made and will probably last forever or nearly forever. If you are only getting one gear you might as well make it the best damn gear you can get. The whole reason for the nice freewheels is because they are well made, good tooth profiles, round, good bearings...

AJW2W11E 10-21-21 11:07 PM

I am very frugal and I used an ACS Paws as my first freewheel. I do a lot of hills. I was worried it might fail at the most dangerous time, when you’re near a peak , and moving very slowly.
At low speeds a track bike could tip over, and with cars on the left and a ditch on the right, I would be in bad shape.
I switched to White freewheel’s, learned about them right here on this forum, I now own two of them.

acoustophile 10-22-21 12:03 AM

WI have bombproof seals and pawl engagement is second to none. The BZZZZZZZZZZZ sound is oddly satisfying too.

bykemike 10-22-21 05:39 AM

+1 on White's. I have 3 SS road bikes right now and change gearing frequently. I have 7 White freewheels right now and am always looking for deals on them. $125 seems to be the going rate but I see $75 deals at times.

My only complaint is the weight, after pushing to keep the bikes as light as possible and they are heavy component but I'm not riding anything else.

AJW2W11E 10-22-21 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by acoustophile (Post 22278577)
WI have bombproof seals and pawl engagement is second to none. The BZZZZZZZZZZZ sound is oddly satisfying too.

I love that sound !

Rolla 10-22-21 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by drlogik (Post 22278328)
.Are they 75% better than my $25 dollar ACS? .

Yes, they are. But if you want something that’s almost as good for a little less, look at a Box 2 freewheel.