Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

indyfabz 03-09-22 08:06 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22433250)
Straight, flat, gravel, soybeans (?) to left, corn to the right - looks like any number of roads to the south of the Twin Cities... and prolly half of the upper midwest.

Corn to the left of my, soybeans to the right. Here I am am, stuck in SPD shoe.

I'll be here all week, ladies and gents. Make sure you try the veal.

WhyFi 03-09-22 08:14 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22433259)
Corn to the left of my, soybeans to the right. Here I am am, stuck in SPD shoe.

I'll be here all week, ladies and gents. Make sure you try the veal.

I know that some of my rides on Strava have been titled similarly. :p

datlas 03-09-22 08:28 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22433258)
I still use PGS--Paper Guidance System-- and a CatEye computer when I tour in unfamiliar places. No batteries or charging required, and you can use the cue sheets to help start campfires at the end of the day.

When/where is your next big tour??

rjones28 03-09-22 08:36 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22433243)
Foreflight wasn’t a thing when I started flying. It became more popular when I was instructing. It always amazes me how fast people will give up solid practices (sectional chart, plotter, E6B) for technology when an Ipad is only good as long as it has a battery. Not to mention apps get corrupted. Trying to teach a younger student how to use a sectional when they had an ipad was like pulling teeth. I

Mrs. rjones28 still uses a Daytimer to keep her calendar.

Eric F 03-09-22 08:56 AM

Wordle 263 3/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 03-09-22 09:11 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22433076)
Nothing quite like navigating with nothing but a cue sheet and odometer.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5268069463.jpg

Related: when I moved with my parents to Illinois from Texas I flew our Cub and my dad flew his Pitts. I did the majority of it using a line drawn on a few sectional charts and general pilotage techniques. Only used an iPad with Foreflight around the more complicated airspace regions. Certainly one of the more memorable things I've done in an airplane.

Followed Hwy 75/69 out of Dallas to I44 in OK until you got to I55 in Illinois, heh?

Mojo31 03-09-22 09:13 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22433241)
rain today. Wife works, so watching the little one. Hoping to get a decent zone 2 ride on the trainer at some point today but that might be difficult.

Wife wants her bike on the trainer tonight, which I am pretty stoked about. Would love to see her start riding again.

Just tell her that her butt looks big and she needs to start riding again. When you regain consciousness, let us know if that motivated her. :lol:

Mojo31 03-09-22 09:15 AM

Wordle 263 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Eric F 03-09-22 09:21 AM

Wordle 263 3/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Trsnrtr 03-09-22 09:30 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22433229)
Daayum, that road is straight as a mutha!

welcome to my world.

indyfabz 03-09-22 09:50 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22433292)
When/where is your next big tour??

I don't have anything big planned. Looking at 7 days of riding with two off days for easy hiking and possibly some paddling in VT starting early June. Starting in Brattleboro and heading to the Northeast Kingdom then ultimately taking he train home from St. Albans.

Firs scheduled outing is to Lewes, DE for two days then up the coast to A.C. for the train home. Start would be the day before Good Friday. We have off that Friday so it saves me from burning a vacation day. I made my campsite reservation in Lewes last month. The place was nearly full for Easter weekend already.

datlas 03-09-22 09:51 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22433385)
I don't have anything big planned. Looking at 7 days of riding with two off days for easy hiking and possibly some paddling in VT starting early June. Starting in Brattleboro and heading to the Northeast Kingdom then ultimately taking he train home from St. Albans.

Firs scheduled outing is to Lewes, DE for two days then up the coast to A.C. for the train home. Start would be the day before Good Friday. We have off that Friday so it saves me from burning a vacation day. I made my campsite reservation in Lewes last month. The place was nearly full for Easter weekend already.

Sounds good. We are planning a week in Asheville in early May. Gotta ride up Mt Mitchell.

abshipp 03-09-22 10:06 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22433229)
Daayum, that road is straight as a mutha!

It's funny looking at my old cue sheets. A lot of times instead of writing a left of right turn I would use cardinal directions. Made a lot of sense when I was riding on a grid. Down here there are no straight roads so that approach is useless :lol:

abshipp 03-09-22 10:11 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22433243)
Foreflight wasn’t a thing when I started flying. It became more popular when I was instructing. It always amazes me how fast people will give up solid practices (sectional chart, plotter, E6B) for technology when an Ipad is only good as long as it has a battery. Not to mention apps get corrupted. Trying to teach a younger student how to use a sectional when they had an ipad was like pulling teeth. I

Dead reckoning at least keeps you occupied on a long XC in a slow airplane.


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22433342)
Followed Hwy 75/69 out of Dallas to I44 in OK until you got to I55 in Illinois, heh?

Flying IFR is easy! I follow roads :D

indyfabz 03-09-22 10:21 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22433366)
welcome to my world.

I remember that from my X-country ride. Indiana had a lot of straight roads as well.

LesterOfPuppets 03-09-22 10:36 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22433409)
It's funny looking at my old cue sheets. A lot of times instead of writing a left of right turn I would use cardinal directions. Made a lot of sense when I was riding on a grid. Down here there are no straight roads so that approach is useless :lol:

On my cue sheets for riding on crooked roads that mostly don't have street signs, I put the approximate compass bearing of the road I'm turning onto, that helps me reassure myself that I'm taking the correct turn, or I didn't miss a turn, etc.

BillyD 03-09-22 10:59 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22433250)
Straight, flat, gravel, soybeans (?) to left, corn to the right - looks like any number of roads to the south of the Twin Cities... and prolly half of the upper midwest.

Not easy to find a road that straight, and that flat, for as far as the eye can see, around this part of the country. Especially not in the Hudson Valley.

rjones28 03-09-22 10:59 AM

Wheel Wednesday

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eb3f2ae25a.jpg

genejockey 03-09-22 11:07 AM

Now I feel stupid.
Wordle 263 6/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟩🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 03-09-22 11:16 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22433461)
Not easy to find a road that straight, and that flat, for as far as the eye can see, around this part of the country. Especially not in the Hudson Valley.

Surprisingly, not easy here unless you look at the interstates.

BillyD 03-09-22 11:19 AM

#TheUsualSuspects

A gang of 8 juveniles hanging around with nothing to do in the human world would be trouble waiting to happen. :lol:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fed74ad96f.jpg

I love how they all automatically adhere to the standard personal spacing.

seedsbelize2 03-09-22 11:25 AM

:bday:
This morning I bought a box of 50 SS db spokes, 298mm, for US$25.
Celebrating with a slice of chocolate cake a la mode, with a cup of the best coffee in the city. It doesn't hurt to have extra.

seedsbelize2 03-09-22 11:29 AM

Just came from the chiropractor. I can walk again, for now, at least. Getting an x-ray in a few minutes, and then another visit . I blame it on sleeping in hotel beds, in instead of my trusty hammock.

seedsbelize2 03-09-22 11:40 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22433304)
Mrs. rjones28 still uses a Daytimer to keep her calendar.

My wife uses her Daytimer too. I had to type Daytimer three times before the phone would accept it.

DougRNS 03-09-22 11:41 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22433388)
Sounds good. We are planning a week in Asheville in early May. Gotta ride up Mt Mitchell.

you should swing by nearby Knoxville to check in on Velo Vol


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.