Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

datlas 02-14-22 09:34 AM

I will admit to being quite old and/or outta touch. The last Rap song I really liked was this:

LesterOfPuppets 02-14-22 10:04 AM

Happy Arizona Statehood day! 110 years old. :bday: :bday: :bday:

Velo Vol 02-14-22 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22409171)
I will admit to being quite old and/or outta touch.

We know.

big john 02-14-22 10:12 AM

I drove over an hour to a Super Bowl party at a friend's house. I had never been there before. Big house high on a hill overlooking the desert. Plenty of room and I sat by an open window with an amazing view. A huge amount of food with variety, grilling was going on and one lady made desserts fresh during the game.

It was loud in there and the game was not the focus for many of the guests but the t.v. was huge. Everyone paid attention to the half time show, though. I was glad I went and one friend insisted I try the strawberry shortcake before I left. That was a good call!

rjones28 02-14-22 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22409219)

:bday:

WhyFi 02-14-22 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22409080)
Mojo gets it. They automatically file that away in the db, a standard routine of the OS. In some it's buried way in the back, in others it's within easy reach. My ex, for example, didn't forget squat.

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22409118)
The best birth control is a pissed off wife. Or one who got pissed off 20 years ago. ;)

Lol. No worries - our relationship isn't nearly so tenuous. Lack of intimacy continues to not be a problem.

WhyFi 02-14-22 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22409097)
I got news for you, twenty years ago you were a kid, today you're still a pup. You've got no business letting the passage of 20 years at this stage in life make you feel old. Just think young, keep fit and eat right and life will treat you right.

Everything is relative, and I don't mean to imply that I'm feeling physically, mentally or emotionally old - that's not the case. I'm saying that this was a loud and clear example of a generational shift.

WhyFi 02-14-22 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22409140)
Consider yourself lucky. For me, it was acts like RUN-DMC, which I saw live during my college years.

The music video for the RUN-DMC/Aerosmith "Walk This Way" collab was a big milestone in my youth.

....as was Madonna's "Vogue," for different reasons. :innocent:

Mojo31 02-14-22 10:25 AM

Old joke in honor of Valentine's Day:

In case you don't know, there are three stages of sex in every relationship. The first is the honeymoon stage where you do it anywhere and everywhere - in the bedroom, in the car, on the patio, anywhere. The second comes after the arrival of kids and is relegated strictly to the bedroom after the kids are confirmed to be asleep. The third results in hallway sex. That's where you pass each other in the hallway and say, "**** you."

big john 02-14-22 10:27 AM

Wordle 240 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Velo Vol 02-14-22 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22409219)

A mere ute.

Trsnrtr 02-14-22 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22409097)
I got news for you, twenty years ago you were a kid, today you're still a pup. You've got no business letting the passage of 20 years at this stage in life make you feel old. Just think young, keep fit and eat right and life will treat you right.

A friend of mine used to say that if your baby pictures are in color, you can’t claim to be old. :)

LesterOfPuppets 02-14-22 10:41 AM

Man, on the 11th I went on a 7.5 mile mtb ride, did some yard work, did a 3 mile mix of trail running and hiking, then built bikes for 5 hours and my vastus medialises have been absolutely wrecked ever since.

Might have to go get some Flexall 454

Trsnrtr 02-14-22 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22409244)
The music video for the RUN-DMC/Aerosmith "Walk This Way" collab was a big milestone in my youth.

....as was Madonna's "Vogue," for different reasons. :innocent:

My normal Pandora listening on the trainer is the Ozzy Osborne channel which is all heavy metal. Oddly enough, I never listen to heavy metal on purpose off of the trainer. :foo:

LesterOfPuppets 02-14-22 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22409280)
My normal Pandora listening on the trainer is the Ozzy Osborne channel which is all heavy metal. Oddly enough, I never listen to heavy metal on purpose off of the trainer. :foo:

I like Pantera and Slayer when in a metal mood on the bike.

Eric F 02-14-22 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22409028)
All signs indicate that the Ram's OC will be the Viking's new Head Coach, so I watched the game with mild interest.

That half-time show made me feel old, though. Dre, Snoop, and Em were pretty edgy in my late teens and early adulthood, so seeing them on that stage just emphasized the passage of time and shifting of perception.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ng&oe=620F06C7

WhyFi 02-14-22 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22409037)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cf1d5d3401.jpg

bampilot06 02-14-22 11:01 AM

was the half time show any good? I bought a new book and started reading instead.

DougRNS 02-14-22 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22408805)
My baba was well received.

Reminds me of this.

indyfabz 02-14-22 11:03 AM

lplo

indyfabz 02-14-22 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22409306)
Reminds me of this.

https://youtu.be/QRTNm6GLJYI

One of my favorite R&R songs.

Saw them live at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh. IIRC, it was the summer of '89. The tour where they opened their shows with selected tracks from Tommy. I was dating a woman in a wheelchair. Our seats were in the press box.

Mojo31 02-14-22 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22409305)
was the half time show any good? I bought a new book and started reading instead.

It was okay. Nothing special in my mind. Never been into the rap/hip hop genres though.

WhyFi 02-14-22 11:18 AM

Jumped in to the ring with A. Anquetil again. Yeah, still pretty tough. Given the elevation profile of the course, I thought that I might be able to hang for the full loop, but I ran out of gas a little over 20 min in. The Jungle Loop section, with all of the gravel, really saps me and makes me wonder if a gravel bike might give me a fightin' chance. Warming up beforehand, instead of jumping in cold, might not be a bad idea, either - I never did feel quite up to speed, though it might have just been a bad day.

indyfabz 02-14-22 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22409275)
A friend of mine used to say that if youíre baby pictures are in color, you canít claim to be old. :)

The very first photo of me is in B&W. C'est la vie.

datlas 02-14-22 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22409326)
The very first photo of me is in B&W. C'est la vie.

Mine too. Apparently the hospital took newborn pics back in 1965 in B&W. I think my folks still have that pic.

Eric F 02-14-22 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22409324)
Jumped in to the ring with A. Anquetil again. Yeah, still pretty tough. Given the elevation profile of the course, I thought that I might be able to hang for the full loop, but I ran out of gas a little over 20 min in. The Jungle Loop section, with all of the gravel, really saps me and makes me wonder if a gravel bike might give me a fightin' chance. Warming up beforehand, instead of jumping in cold, might not be a bad idea, either - I never did feel quite up to speed, though it might have just been a bad day.

In my experience with the Jungle Loop is that a gravel bike makes a significant difference. My last time with a group on that section, I could not stay with anyone on a gravel bike, even when putting out significantly more power.

seedsbelize2 02-14-22 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22409250)
Old joke in honor of Valentine's Day:

In case you don't know, there are three stages of sex in every relationship. The first is the honeymoon stage where you do it anywhere and everywhere - in the bedroom, in the car, on the patio, anywhere. The second comes after the arrival of kids and is relegated strictly to the bedroom after the kids are confirmed to be asleep. The third results in hallway sex. That's where you pass each other in the hallway and say, "**** you."

Today must be Valentine's Day. It would've just passed me by.

Eric F 02-14-22 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22409319)
It was okay. Nothing special in my mind. Never been into the rap/hip hop genres though.

That's never been my preferred style of music, either, but I am familiar with most of the songs that were included, and I was mostly entertained. The show did confirm that I still have a strong dislike for Kendrick Lamar.

genejockey 02-14-22 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22409324)

Saturday I did the Tour de Zwift Stage 4, the "B" ride, since I had limited time. It was on "Chain Chomper" in the Makuri Islands, so mostly paved but with a big 'gravel' climb and descent in the middle. Since I had almost 900,000 drops, I went shopping beforehand, and bought a Canyon Grail gravel bike. I thought maybe an MTB, but when I read the course review they said an MTB would be overkill.

ANYWAY, I kept up with a group of about 6 other riders doing 2-3 w/kg on the paved part, mostly drafting as much as possible, and putting out maybe 0.2-0.4 w/kg more than the riders around me - who were on road bikes. The gravel climb, though, I dropped them all like stones. And caught and dropped a bunch of other riders - all of whom were putting out similar w/kg to me. So, yeah, the gravel bike might be just the thing, if there's a significant gravel section. BTW, I passed about 12 other riders on that climb, went from 25th out of 38 to about 11th, and only 3 riders passed me on the way down. The difference between gravel bike and road bike on that segment was like night and day. Literally, I had no problem dropping riders I'd been pushing hard (for me) to keep up with on the flat. And I was watching their w/kg and we were all putting out 3-4 on that climb, but they ended up >30 seconds behind me.

(Yeah, I'm reveling in boasting about this. This is probably the only time that I will be able to do that on a climb. Certainly not IRL!)

LesterOfPuppets 02-14-22 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22409266)
A mere ute.

State 48!