Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

bampilot06 03-21-22 04:40 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b94df6e1a2.png

Anybody do cycle cross? Would this be suitable? If not why? I am completely ignorant of all things cycle cross.

Mojo31 03-21-22 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22446280)
I just read that John Travolta is now certified to fly a 737.

I thought he has been for a while.

Mojo31 03-21-22 05:24 PM

This evening will be interesting. Already had tornadoes north of us from the same storm system.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cea818ecf8.jpg

Bah Humbug 03-21-22 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22446372)
This evening will be interesting. Already had tornadoes north of us from the same storm system.

Stay safe! I am feeling incredibly guilty that I am up in Boulder and AG is down in Austin alone; two tornados already in the greater metro area. :eek:

Bah Humbug 03-21-22 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22446327)
Anybody do cycle cross? Would this be suitable? If not why? I am completely ignorant of all things cycle cross.

Without having looked at that one, my understanding is that gravel bikes are generally geometered for stability while cross bikes are responsive and twitchy. I wouldn't want to keep a cross bike stable on a long gravel ride, and wouldn't want to try to force a gravel bike around a cross course. I believe that is a very nice gravel bike, but I wouldn't want to take it on a cross race.

Gravel bikes are NOT "trendy cross bikes".

Mojo31 03-21-22 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22446388)
Stay safe! I am feeling incredibly guilty that I am up in Boulder and AG is down in Austin alone; two tornados already in the greater metro area. :eek:

Didn't know there were tornados in Austin today. My daughter that lives there is in Telluride this week.

We had a round of small hail a few minutes ago, lots of rain, and high winds. I’m staying low tonight.

bampilot06 03-21-22 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22446389)
Without having looked at that one, my understanding is that gravel bikes are generally geometered for stability while cross bikes are responsive and twitchy. I wouldn't want to keep a cross bike stable on a long gravel ride, and wouldn't want to try to force a gravel bike around a cross course. I believe that is a very nice gravel bike, but I wouldn't want to take it on a cross race.

Fair enough. I know my wife is not going to let me keep buying bikes. I’m not sure at the moment how many cycle cross events near me I would even have access too. I really like this bike a lot, so my thought process, I will prolly ride gravel more than cycle cross.

Or I’ll just get a Ritchey Swiss.

big john 03-21-22 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22446424)
Fair enough. I know my wife is not going to let me keep buying bikes. I’m not sure at the moment how many cycle cross events near me I would even have access too. I really like this bike a lot, so my thought process, I will prolly ride gravel more than cycle cross.

Or I’ll just get a Ritchey Swiss.

If you just want to try it you can race about anything at a 'cross race. People here show up on mountain bikes and old beaters, too. My friend won her cat 3 state title on a cheap older Redline.

big john 03-21-22 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22446301)
All it takes is about 30 grand…….. You just have to rent the sim.

I mean you have to have your other ratings but any ATP pilot can get a type rating in anything if they want to pay for it.

We had a couple pilots at the regional who paid for an airbus type rating thinking it would help them get hired. I mean it might look good on resume I guess, but if you don’t have any time in it, kind of useless.

I really want a B-25 type on my certificate. My uncle flew those in WW2 and I have always wanted to fly one once. The type would be more for the experience once I had it, I wouldn’t be able to really use it.

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22446367)
I thought he has been for a while.

Clearly flying is a big part of his life. He said he bought a plane when he first started making money. He's had a custom jet for some time.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QlReKPXAQKA/maxresdefault.jpg

rjones28 03-21-22 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22446327)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b94df6e1a2.png

Don't buy a gravel bike to race cross. The design is not intended for it. Look at Ridley's cross bike Cyclo-cross | Ridley (ridley-bikes.com) Steeper angles, shorter wheelbase, more generous main triangle (for shouldering the bike).

I mean, if one already has a gravel bike and wants to try cross, then sure. It'll work. But...

rjones28 03-21-22 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22446389)

Pretty much.

rjones28 03-21-22 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22446431)
If you just want to try it you can race about anything at a 'cross race. People here show up on mountain bikes and old beaters, too. My friend won her cat 3 state title on a cheap older Redline.

This.

In fact, I would suggest snaggiing an old aluminum cross bike for beginners. They take a licking and keep on ticking.

Mojo31 03-21-22 06:41 PM

Johnny T’s place is nuts!

rjones28 03-21-22 06:43 PM

I've used my cross bike for gravel events. It works great. I change the gearing and throw some 40mm tires on and go.

rjones28 03-21-22 07:01 PM

Since changing the Crux to 1x, I don't need to change the gearing. Just the tires. :)

genejockey 03-21-22 07:19 PM

Years ago, I took a one day 'workshop' in cyclocross run by Clark Natwick. It was fun, but after watching a couple actual races, I decided it wasn't for me. One thing I never got the hang of was remounting without crushing my jimmies. This was BITD before people started bunnyhopping barriers. Watching the Cat 1/2s race, it was amazing - he's on the bike, he's off the bike, he's on the bike - all seamless!

The other thing that put me off it was that my pedals were rapidly getting harder to unclip from, and I could see myself colliding with a barrier with my feet stuck to them.

Trsnrtr 03-21-22 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22446431)

I rode masters cyclocross nationals in 1989 on an old Trek 4xx series that was two sizes too small. My mechanic brazed on studs for cantilever brakes. I ran a single 46 ring up front with blank inner and outer rings to keep the chain from jumping off. Lastly, it was original 6 speed Shimano 600 indexing. I don’t remember what the freewheel size was. Also had Vittoria cross tubulars. Only 15 riders were allowed to finish and since I was the last person pulled, I claim 16th place. :)

Anyway, I won a lot of CX races on that piece of junk. CX bikes were rarer than hen’s teeth so most of us just cobbled whatever we could. :D

For some reason, this pic of the junk bike appears to have sidepull brakes. We must have brazed cantilever studs on later.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...99c27db189.jpg

abshipp 03-21-22 08:18 PM

Looks like Phil Gaimon and I have something in common: neither of us took the Paris Mountain KOM today.

I mean, he did it about 8-9 minutes faster than I did but the statement still stands :lol:

Bah Humbug 03-21-22 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22446401)
Didn't know there were tornados in Austin today. My daughter that lives there is in Telluride this week.

We had a round of small hail a few minutes ago, lots of rain, and high winds. I’m staying low tonight.

My boss who lives in Austin was in Telluride last week. Funny.

seedsbelize2 03-21-22 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22446401)

RIP
Gone too soon

indyfabz 03-22-22 03:58 AM

WTH

Wordle 276 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Trsnrtr 03-22-22 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22446685)
WTH

Wordle 276 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That was a weird one.

Wordle 276 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

datlas 03-22-22 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22446685)
WTH

Wordle 276 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Took me 6 too.

bampilot06 03-22-22 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22446464)
Since changing the Crux to 1x, I don't need to change the gearing. Just the tires. :)

Crux, ritchey swiss and kanzo fast, or boone.

Any friend recommended the aspero over the kanzo.

Im also looking at the canyon inflight but that doesn’t have any bottle mounts.

If I get a true cross bike I would like to be able to use it for long gravel rides.

indyfabz 03-22-22 06:16 AM

Someone put this out in the office kitchen. Tempting, if only for the action.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ca4be5e91.jpeg

datlas 03-22-22 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22446762)
Someone put this out in the office kitchen. Tempting, if only for the action.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ca4be5e91.jpeg

Could be a viral video on YouTube if you record it!

#EarlyRetirement

WhyFi 03-22-22 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22446539)
Looks like Phil Gaimon and I have something in common: neither of us took the Paris Mountain KOM today.

I mean, he did it about 8-9 minutes faster than I did but the statement still stands :lol:

I was surprised that he was that far off the pace.

Mojo31 03-22-22 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22446555)
My boss who lives in Austin was in Telluride last week. Funny.

Maybe your boss was part of her group. He'd have to be about 25 though.

Mojo31 03-22-22 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22446764)
Could be a viral video on YouTube if you record it!

#EarlyRetirement

TikTok

YouTube is for old people.

Mojo31 03-22-22 06:46 AM

Wordle 276 3/6

🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩