Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Forum Suggestions & User Assistance (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Highlight Zombie thread date (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1193533)

WizardOfBoz 02-08-20 10:53 AM

Highlight Zombie thread date

Recently, have read several zombie threads and even contributed to one (from 8 years ago, I think). Suggest that in the thread listing, threads in which there has been no activity for some time (6 months?) have the date highlighted in red and bolded. If you want to get fancy, you could have a "ZOMBIE THREAD" watermark in the reply box (which would disappear after one typed a certain number of characters.

Could save Forum users' time.

IBJoel 02-10-20 10:34 AM

Unfortunately, it is doubtful that the software is capable of doing this. If it is, it would require a lot of development time.

datlas 02-10-20 12:06 PM

My idea is that an OLD thread (more than 1 year old) should not be bumped except by the OP (or possibly someone who actually posted in the thread before).

I expect that would be easier, but still may not be possible and not an ideal solution to zombie threads.

cb400bill 02-10-20 01:17 PM

Getting the Original Post Date back took forever, like two years. We just need look for the date under the thread title when looking at the list of threads in a forum. That's as good as I see it ever getting.

Rollfast 02-12-20 03:30 AM

If you see a zombie, point it out in a post or report it. It's polite and not everyone sees the YEAR as much as the DATE.

You are asking VOLUNTEERS to go over this site and do this massive task on a site that has been around close to 20 years in at least 3-4 platforms. Several people are titled GUEST as that's how the previous owner Joe Gardner did it, We've been over a few generations of staff and quite frankly we lost some great ones to the grave or they just moved on.

This is a huge site. Help us all out ss a group and take each one as you see it. It has been stated over and over that no cutoff dates are going to be imposed on threads and some threads can clearly be beneficial to be continued vs. a million little thread asking the same thing over and over. That's a job for the moderators to decide, and one for the members to point out.

And I did as such earlier tonight.

It's not like the zombie threads are attacking the living.

Rollfast 02-12-20 06:23 PM

And please, no resurrections of threads about ZOMBIE THREADS!?

datlas 02-04-21 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 21325651)
And please, no resurrections of threads about ZOMBIE THREADS!?

Any way to stop zombie threads yet?

Iride01 02-04-21 04:46 PM

geesh, a rival of a thread about zombie thread revival! <grin>

cb400bill 02-04-21 09:42 PM

This is how you stop a Zombie thread.