Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

Sierra_rider 04-08-24 01:59 PM

Indoor zone 2 recovery ride this morning, 26 miles and 1100' of virtual climbing. 21 of those miles were Rouvy cobbles in virtual France.

jaxgtr 04-08-24 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23206682)
For sure about the various factors in FTP testing. My results weren't wholly unexpected and I felt the test was necessary to reevaluate my power zones.

About the ride, here she is:

Love the color...

jaxgtr 04-08-24 05:27 PM

No riding over the weekend, too much work and family obligations. Today got in a Rouvy ride, 29 miles, 2800 ft., had very good legs for the climbing today, probably due to taking the 2 days off.

rsbob 04-08-24 08:06 PM

30 something Zone 2 for an hour and a half. Watched The Regime to keep from going insane - Ooops - too late. Did ‘lose it’ at the end and went for a PR on a sprint. My bad

Sierra_rider 04-08-24 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23209113)
Love the color...

Thanks, the option was that or black...I used to be all about black bikes, but I've learned to embrace color. My road bike of the past 5 years or so was my first "colorful" bike...kind of a bright metallic red/sunburst orange color. That was a big step for a boring person like me...I still appreciate black bikes, but every bike since then has had a non-black frame.

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23209271)
30 something Zone 2 for an hour and a half. Watched The Regime to keep from going insane - Ooops - too late. Did ‘lose it’ at the end and went for a PR on a sprint. My bad

I think it's alright if you save it til the end lol...or maybe it doesn't matter. I think that's the big debate in the zone 2 world right now. Not if it's optimum or not, but rather if an above zone 2 effort screws up any of the zone 2 work immediately following it.

Troul 04-09-24 03:19 AM

102 miles OD. Legs are already complaining.

Sierra_rider 04-09-24 05:37 PM

Did a zone 2 ride at 255 watts up the virtual Tourmalet on Rouvy. 11.5 miles and 4550' of fake climbing, in a little less than 1.5 hours.

jaxgtr 04-09-24 06:11 PM

I suffered on my ride on Rouvy today, I did not eat or hydrate well today, I was in the code zone at work, and I should have picked a flatter route. 25.3 miles, 2200 ft ascent.

rsbob 04-09-24 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 23209420)
102 miles OD. Legs are already complaining.

Banging out those centuries already! Nice

Troul 04-09-24 10:21 PM

it's been a rough few months, just trying to get it in where/when i can.

rsbob 04-09-24 10:25 PM

1 hour Z1 one and finished watching The Regime - very disappointing ending.

XxHaimBondxX 04-10-24 04:21 AM

Finally, a ride outside!!! Left work early and did 20 gravel miles. Wasn't too bad, but had to ice my knees.

diphthong 04-10-24 06:51 AM

40-spot. 80 degrees.

rsbob 04-10-24 10:19 PM

36 miles and 2,300’, 16 MPH average. Tried a new strategy today in the name of doing quasi-intervals: Take it real easy on the flats and downhills and attack the hills. Managed one KOM for my age group and 3 second places.

There is a 1.5 mile downhill that I had a good shot at getting the KOM or KOD (King of Descent) but there was a white Land Rover which kept braking to say at the speed limit. Was tempted to overtake him a couple of times on a long straight but wasn’t sure if he would turn into a driveway in front of me. The holder of the KOM is a tandem - which doesn’t count since those things are so damned fast. I had one and could go stupid fast on downhills - 62.5 was my max.

Sierra_rider 04-11-24 12:36 AM

All together, 18 miles and 1500' of elevation on the XC bike, at tonight's local race series...although only 12 of those miles were race miles. Some hitters showed up this week, I came out on top with a late attack, but I was on my limit most of the race. Out of the 12 race miles, I averaged 16 mph and 174 BPM for 45 minutes. Power was surprisingly low, only 270 normalized, so I'm a bit suspicious of my power meter.

Sierra_rider 04-11-24 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23211398)
36 miles and 2,300’, 16 MPH average. Tried a new strategy today in the name of doing quasi-intervals: Take it real easy on the flats and downhills and attack the hills. Managed one KOM for my age group and 3 second places.

There is a 1.5 mile downhill that I had a good shot at getting the KOM or KOD (King of Descent) but there was a white Land Rover which kept braking to say at the speed limit. Was tempted to overtake him a couple of times on a long straight but wasn’t sure if he would turn into a driveway in front of me. The holder of the KOM is a tandem - which doesn’t count since those things are so damned fast. I had one and could go stupid fast on downhills - 62.5 was my max.

Congrats on some new Strava bragging rights. I hear you on getting stuck behind cars...not uncommon to get stuck behind a car on some of the twistier local descents. Back in my dumber days, I used to pass on some of these downhills, but I generally just bide my time now. They generally speed up on the straights and then slow down for the corners, so my move used to be be to dive for the inside of a turn(as long as I could see around the corner.) Looking back, I would've been run over if I happened to slide out.

rsbob 04-11-24 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by sierra_rider (Post 23211421)
all together, 18 miles and 1500' of elevation on the xc bike, at tonight's local race series...although only 12 of those miles were race miles. Some hitters showed up this week, i came out on top with a late attack, but i was on my limit most of the race. Out of the 12 race miles, i averaged 16 mph and 174 bpm for 45 minutes. Power was surprisingly low, only 270 normalized, so i'm a bit suspicious of my power meter.

keeping the streak alive!

Sierra_rider 04-11-24 04:25 PM

A friend and I met up for a road ride this morning, the pace ended up being very mellow(only 14.5 mph) and the weather was perfect(60s/70s.) All together, 59 miles and 6500' of gain.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...10cc67cc34.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...254b26766a.jpg

jaxgtr 04-11-24 05:03 PM

Had us some tropic force winds and rain this morning, still dealing with the wind, so I stayed inside. 25 miles 2200 ft of ascent

georges1 04-12-24 02:01 PM

Rode on my local trail my yellow 2006 trek 6500 slr with its XT 780 T, Mavic D521 rims laced to hope rs4 orange hubs and with conti 26*2.2 race king tires, I did it in 40 min compared to 1h10 min last time with the 1991 Merida. The large size of the frame helps to get fast as well as to cross obstacles fast and getting fast into desends and fast in climbs. The 26*2.2 conti race king are superb quality tires with a very good grip.The Cane creek110 headset provides sure and fast cornering, it was a delight riding it. Can't wait when my Trek Fuel 100 and my Gary Fisher Hookoo Ekoo will be assembed.

Sierra_rider 04-12-24 05:58 PM

Road ride today, 37 miles and 5100' of climbing. The intent was to just go ride tempo, but I was feeling really good and ended up setting a handful of PRs on some fairly challenging climbs. One of them I was already 3rd OA on, but now I'm just 10 seconds quicker in the same place. The next climb(2.25mi @ 8%,) I managed to shave nearly a minute off my previous best and was able to snag the KOM on it by a handful of seconds. Another notable thing, is my Garmin is now estimating my VO2max to be 68. Don't know how accurate it is, but that and how I felt on this ride, bodes well for my race at Sea Otter next week

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...28a78747e7.jpg

Sierra_rider 04-12-24 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by georges1 (Post 23212933)
Rode on my local trail my yellow 2006 trek 6500 slr with its XT 780 T, Mavic D521 rims laced to hope rs4 orange hubs and with conti 26*2.2 race king tires, I did it in 40 min compared to 1h10 min last time with the 1991 Merida. The large size of the frame helps to get fast as well as to cross obstacles fast and getting fast into desends and fast in climbs. The 26*2.2 conti race king are superb quality tires with a very good grip.The Cane creek110 headset provides sure and fast cornering, it was a delight riding it. Can't wait when my Trek Fuel 100 and my Gary Fisher Hookoo Ekoo will be assembed.

I run the Conti Race Kings on my racing wheelset for my XC bike. The "Protection" version is one of the fastest rolling XC tires you can get...I'm a bit of a data nerd went it comes to racing stuff, and they actually have less rolling resistance than most gravel tires and even some of the "armored" road tires. I wouldn't necessarily call them grippy, but they're still my preferred race tire.

rsbob 04-12-24 06:52 PM

34 miles Z1-2 with a quick dash up to 500 Watts to stretch the legs. Did not beat my existing KOM on one segment. Was 5 seconds slower, but didn’t commit until I was into the segment. Next time!

SpeedyBlueBiker 04-12-24 09:57 PM

My first ride back in the US today. Quite the shock to the system going from the upper 90's and low 100's and very humid to some very cool (cold?) weather. I rode 28 miles on the Burke-Gilman. It was quite nice outside but the windchill is something else. They've done a lot of work on the BG and paved over some sections that had a lot of tree roots. Made the ride a lot nicer.

georges1 04-13-24 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23213164)
I run the Conti Race Kings on my racing wheelset for my XC bike. The "Protection" version is one of the fastest rolling XC tires you can get...I'm a bit of a data nerd went it comes to racing stuff, and they actually have less rolling resistance than most gravel tires and even some of the "armored" road tires. I wouldn't necessarily call them grippy, but they're still my preferred race tire.

They are installed on three of my MTBs, two others have Mountain Kings which are very good too, another has Cross Kings which are excellent too. My Merida has 2015 Hutchinson Toro tubeless tires but who are near to the worn out condition ,so I will have them replaced with Mountain Kings.I agree with you that the are the fastest rolling tire you can get for XC.

rdf37 04-13-24 10:09 AM

Toddy was a 6 mile ride. Not much time and wife said she needed to mail letter at post office...so...I offered to be her bike carrier lol. 2 birds with one stone and time saved! Did not think a ride was happening today but suprise suprise!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...36795ae2cf.jpg

Sierra_rider 04-13-24 01:12 PM

Today was the return of crappy weather...it's actively snowing right now...so back indoors. Did a couple of easy recovery rides on Rouvy, first was an hour of virtual Paris-Roubaix for 22 miles and 650' gain. I felt like adding 15 minutes to the session, so I did 4 miles and 500' in virtual Utah.

jaxgtr 04-13-24 03:40 PM

After 4 days of strong 20+ mph winds and some strong storms, the wind was 10-15 but temps were too nice to ride indoors, so I got in 83 and got beat by a northern headwind for about 35 of them.

rsbob 04-13-24 08:33 PM

A 23 whopping miles with the bride of RSbob. Was a bit windy, so putting her out front on her e-bike made an excellent drafting opportunity. Besides she wants me behind her because when Iead, I tend to drop her. Why she doesn’t put her motor into the next level - is a question I know better than to ask.

gpp 04-14-24 01:56 AM

About 20kms, almost always in flat terrain but returning home I had to overcome some steep climbs, had to push the bike in one part.