Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Introductions (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Here I am (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1269011)

Cyclespanner 03-17-23 02:45 PM

Here I am

Newbie saying hi from Yorkshire, England.
I don't do posh, expensive or flash of any kind.
Very down to Earth with a long road behind me.

bike_tom 03-17-23 07:31 PM

Welcome from New England.

Cyclespanner 03-18-23 02:26 AM

Thank you, Tom.
With a bit of luck I hope to find the odd friend here and there.
After all, I'm an odd person.
Can I assume this is an American based forum?

Barry2 03-18-23 11:25 AM

Sorry, we’re all a bit snooty here.
and no sense of humor!

welcome

Barry

Cyclespanner 03-18-23 02:55 PM

I desperately don't wish to offend, but my limited experience dealing with Americans highlighted a serious (!) chasm of what they see as funny and what we Brits do, and I'm a Yorkshireman, a tribe renown for upsetting everyone from everywhere.
But the fall-back is always how much we are misunderstood!

As I understand, the rules here require 10 posts before a newbie can post photo's or URL's.
Question: does this reply of mine qualify as a 'post'?
Here 10 posts in a line puts you into the sea; in any direction.

Can't see a 'like' button....don't want to make anyone feel under appreciated.

georges1 03-19-23 12:53 AM

hi and welcome on board :)

Barry2 03-19-23 02:42 AM

Your every reply here is one (1) post.
Even if, based on content, they are only worth 0.5 of a post, you still get a whole one! :)

And regarding the UK vs USA……. Harlow Essex reporting in here sir.
Although I’ve been in CA 30+ years.

Al the best

Barry

downtube42 03-19-23 03:22 AM

Welcome.

The posting rules are simply how the site admins have set up the software, and the software simply implements the rules by counting. A simple one-word post counts as 1, as does a lengthy diatribe extolling the superiority of whatever bicycle thing you consider superior to any and all alternatives. For example, this post counts as one, and all words appearing after the word "welcome" are irrelevant as far as the software post counter is concerned. I tend to concur with that assessment, and not just in terms of counting posts.

Cheers

Cyclespanner 03-19-23 04:04 AM

Thanks, guy's for your welcome.

Looking forward to becoming involved.

npu1 03-20-23 09:01 AM

Welcome,i think it will bi my 3 post...

npu1 03-20-23 09:04 AM

Sorry, it is 6!soon i can post something!

Barry2 03-20-23 09:10 AM

npu1
As it states in the Sticky at the top of the Introductions Forum

DO NOT MAKE JUNK POSTS JUST TO GET TO 10. THEY WILL BE DELETED!

Not saying it will happen, but it’s in the rules.
and we all know what rules are meant for…….

:)

Barry

Cyclespanner 03-20-23 09:50 AM

Thank you npu1.

Is there much of a following here for Raleigh Twenties and diy recumbents?

I just got a 1980 none folding Raleigh 'Solitaire' model; one lady owner from new.
It's a 'spanker', having been in off the ground dry storage for most of its life.
A quick wash removed the dust to reveal what is to me, a brand new bike.
Paint, chrome, all rubber & plastic items are A1.
The deep red metalic colour is sublime. Judging by the tyres and brake blocks I recon its done no more than 10 miles in 43 years.
All for a charity donation of £30. It's standing next to me in my lounge and looks perfect from any angle.
The case on the SA hub has a number code, which dates it to May 1980 (80-5).
The 'Solitaire' frame emblem is a Rose and I think I'll call her my English ROSE!
Shame the emblem isn't white, then she'd be my 'Yorkshire Rose'.

Plan is to build a recumbent, and the spine framed '20' looked to be a suitable case for treatment. I mentioned this to a pal, who, to my astonishment said ''I think I've got one!''.
Indeed he had.
When it arrived, I couldn't believe how nice it is. Far too nice to be cutting up!

Instead I got a cheap (£20) but new 'Muddyfox Energy 20' kids mountain bike for the project.
This is a vanity project. Can't afford one, so I'll make my own, together with above pal's fabrication skills.
In fact I've never seen one in the flesh, but always fancied one since I was blown away by the one in the title sequence of the film 'Brainstorm' (Christopher Walken/Natelie Wood), many, many years ago!

I also have had a German 'Tensor Elite' for my sins, which has given me sterling, if staid utter reliable service for over 30 years.
Not exactly an 'enthusiasts' machine. From the little I can find, they were the cheapest of the cheap, but from what I see it is better equipped than a similar period base model Raleigh.

So when I get photo posting privileges I'll be sharing my sad bicycle adventures.

rumrunn6 03-20-23 11:54 AM

welcome!
you might also enjoy (if not prefer) https://www.cyclechat.net/

Cyclespanner 03-20-23 01:21 PM

Thank you rumrunn6.

Thanks for the heads up, looks interesting.
Or are you trying to tell me something?

Noticed your byline mentioning baseball.
Only once did I have the opportunity to be at a baseball match, which was on Independence Day many moons ago at Minneapolis.

To be honest, I didn't find that interesting, more like bewildering.
Very much like the game of 'Rounders' we played at school.

There again, I never understood the UK obsession with (proper) football, cricket or rugby.
As far as I can discern, the only positive attribute of cricket is, at least it's played during the summer months.

The other two 'sports' are marvelous ways to get wet and muddy with a good chance of contracting pneumonia and being carted off with contusions and broken bones in an ambulance.

Are these sensible ways for a mature adult to behave?

Told you I was odd.

Wildwood 03-21-23 12:13 PM

A couple of threads for folks who take pride in 'economy' bikes:

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump! - Bike Forums

What have you been wrenching on lately? - Bike Forums

...and maybe someone will reprise the Clunker Challenge with a new thread this Spring
Bike Forums - Clunker Challenge #5

zandoval 03-22-23 10:29 AM

Hey Ya... Welcome from Texas...

After you get your 10 posts git us a pic of your favorite horse...

Cyclespanner 03-22-23 10:31 AM

Thank you 'gregbent31'

Doh!
Realized the like button isn't on view when one is replying.

Cyclespanner 03-22-23 10:34 AM

Thank you, zandoval

Will do (I'd better get polishing).

rumrunn6 03-22-23 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cyclespanner (Post 22835124)
Thank you rumrunn6.

Thanks for the heads up, looks interesting.
Or are you trying to tell me something?

Noticed your byline mentioning baseball.
Only once did I have the opportunity to be at a baseball match, which was on Independence Day many moons ago at Minneapolis.

To be honest, I didn't find that interesting, more like bewildering.
Very much like the game of 'Rounders' we played at school.

There again, I never understood the UK obsession with (proper) football, cricket or rugby.
As far as I can discern, the only positive attribute of cricket is, at least it's played during the summer months.

The other two 'sports' are marvelous ways to get wet and muddy with a good chance of contracting pneumonia and being carted off with contusions and broken bones in an ambulance.

Are these sensible ways for a mature adult to behave?

Told you I was odd.

:roflmao:

btw some of us are members of both forums

Cornchips 03-23-23 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cyclespanner (Post 22835124)

What? When I think of Yorkshire I think of Geoffrey Boycott. Isn't he some kind of hero around your neck of the woods?

Cyclespanner 03-23-23 03:33 AM

A Google quote:-

'Why are they called ridings in Yorkshire?
Yorkshire is England's largest county and its boundary, over 600 miles long, was established more than 1100 years ago. The word Riding is derived from a Danish word 'thridding', meaning a third. The invading Danes called representatives from each Thridding to a thing, or parliament and established the Ridings System'.

So in it's diminutive state, Yorkshire is England's version of Texas.
Populated by forthright an independent thinkers, often derided, even despised by the rest for frequently 'not towing the line' and seen as troublemakers.

The Roman's, Vikings, Normans, Tudor's and Conservatives did their utmost to destroy Yorkshire's people and character.
Yet we endure.

Geoffrey Boycott is a prime example of a Yorkshire denizen...loud, forthright and brash.
As is the entire population of the Antipodes, it would seem; honorary Yorkshire-men, if you like ;)

My interpretation of organised sport was, historically, a means of keeping folk fit to be ready to do and die for their 'betters'.

PhilFo 03-23-23 06:02 AM

There's a few threads where Raleigh Twenties are the topic in the Folding Bikes sub-forum.
I have two Twenties myself, US import Raleigh "Folders". One is a "Root Beer" sample from 1971 with 20x1 3/8 (451) wheels, the other is a green machine from 1973 with 20x1.75 (406) wheels. Anyway, I digress! Welcome!

Cyclespanner 03-23-23 06:13 AM

Hi, PhillFo.
Thank you for your welcome.

Having just acquired a 'Solitaire' in near mint, hardly used condition, I'm getting obsessed with it. The more I look the more I marvel at it.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. It's a practical, everyday working bike.

cb400bill 03-23-23 07:42 AM

Lots of Raleigh 20 love in our Classic & Vintage forum.

https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...eigh-20-a.html