Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Finally! Shimano recalls Dura Ace and Ultegra cranksets (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1281491)

icemilkcoffee 09-21-23 10:18 AM

Finally! Shimano recalls Dura Ace and Ultegra cranksets

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/shi...to-crash-risk/

Ultegra FC-6800, Dura-Ace FC-9000, Ultegra FC-R8000 and Dura-Ace FC-R9100 chainsets, as well as the FC-R9100P power meter variant

superdex 09-21-23 10:22 AM

here, for the clicking-impaired:

The specific models affected are the 11-speed compatible Ultegra FC-6800, Dura-Ace FC-9000, Ultegra FC-R8000 and Dura-Ace FC-R9100 chainsets, as well as the FC-R9100P power meter variant.

It affects products manufactured prior to 2019, with one of the following two-letter production codes on the rear of the crank arm:
KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.

The affected parts are 680,000 units sold in North America, and 80,000 further units sold in Canada over the eleven-and-a-half-year period between January 2012 through August 2023. Cyclingnews understands this only relates to the products that fall under the CPSC's jurisdiction, and that the number could be much higher when extrapolated worldwide.

According to the CPSC, the recalled bonded components can separate and break, posing a crash hazard to consumers. It reports that Shimano has received 4,519 incidents of cranksets failing through separation of the bonded construction. From these, there have been six reported injuries including bone fractures, joint displacement and lacerations. It is unconfirmed over what time period the incidents were recorded.

Despite their similar appearance, Shimano's 105 chainsets are not affected by the recall, due to a cold-forged manufacturing process. Likewise, no 10-speed or 12-speed components are affected either.
Shimano's release: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...Cranksets.html

smd4 09-21-23 10:58 AM

You mean after all this time that we've been told the failures have been statistically insignificant?

ljsense 09-21-23 11:01 AM

Shoot. Both my road bikes have FC-9000 cranksets, each with a matching Stages power meter. I'll have to check the letter codes when I get home.

I really like the looks of the 9000 and I'm not crazy about the all-black 9200 that it seems they are using as a replacement (cobbled with 11-speed chain rings.)

Does anyone know if the crankarm/chainring lines and junction are the same on 9100 as 9200? I am wondering if this blend of 9100 11-speed chain rings on 9200 arms is going to be less than seamless.

Also, they say they'll have a shop inspect the crank, leaving open the possibility that they look fine now and pass inspection but break later, which doesn't seem that great.

indyfabz 09-21-23 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ljsense (Post 23021867)
Shoot. Both my road bikes have FC-9000 cranksets, each with a matching Stages power meter. I'll have to check the letter codes when I get home.

Shoot, too. I have DA 9000 11 speed. It's from 2016. however. Time to check.

icemilkcoffee 09-21-23 12:27 PM

Uh oh. I am reading the fine print. Looks like they are borrowing a page from GM:

If your crankset passes the inspection and has no signs of delamination, we appreciate your patience and diligence in having the safety inspection done. You may continue using your crankset as normalIf your crankset passes the inspection and has no signs of delamination, we appreciate your patience and diligence in having the safety inspection done. You may continue using your crankset as normal
So this is not a blanket recall. They are only replacing cranksets that are visibly delaminated! If your crankset hasn't failed yet you get nothing. This is a real slimy move by Shimano.

spclark 09-21-23 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee (Post 23021962)
They are only replacing cranksets that are visibly delaminated!

My state DOT's begun a policy of replacing vehicle license plates that have a reputation for delaminating. Mine are too after 9+ years but I'm not quite to the trigger date of 10 years from what I've heard.

I've seen plates literally bare of readability, all that's left is the embossed aluminum that can't be read.

Maybe Shimano's engineers accountants have determined the cosmetic coating's more indicative of their products strength in use than the metal underneath?

ljsense 09-21-23 12:39 PM

I hadn't really paid attention to this issue, but now with the official recall I'm reading up as much as I can -- it seems like corrosion is a major factor in how this failure occurs: water, or worse, salty water gets inside the hollow area and reacts with the bare aluminum, especially where it touches the steel spindle.

biker222 09-21-23 01:24 PM

I have the OH designation after the crank arm length on a 6800 crank arm. No signs of separation. This was a mail order purchase from UK (Chain Reaction).

bikingshearer 09-21-23 01:25 PM

I stopped at 10sp and it's all Campy, so this does not affect me. But I note that, according to the article, the 105 units are not affected, as they are cold forged. Like my cranks.

Old tech FTW.

trailangel 09-21-23 01:54 PM

Ya'll need to stop riding on plastic:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...591e623541.png

tempocyclist 09-21-23 03:50 PM

As far as I confirm (so far) this recall is only for units in USA and Canada? Hmmm. Potentially worldwide recall to follow?

Originally Posted by ljsense (Post 23021974)
I hadn't really paid attention to this issue, but now with the official recall I'm reading up as much as I can

Same. Pretty much all my bikes run Ultegra 11-speed cranksets of some description. I'll have to check and see what model identifiers are stamped into them!

Koyote 09-21-23 05:28 PM

This isn't really a recall, as they are only replacing obviously defective units. It's more of a warranty extension.

jadmt 09-21-23 07:26 PM

I lucked out I guess my fc r8000 numbers are UK and UL.

Maelochs 09-21-23 07:46 PM

"Yup, you are okay .... but don't ride that thing until you are off shop property and on the sidewalk .... Thanks, bye!"

Eric F 09-21-23 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 23022064)
Ya'll need to stop riding on plastic:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...591e623541.png

What does plastic have to do with it?

icemilkcoffee 09-21-23 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 23022236)
This isn't really a recall, as they are only replacing obviously defective units. It's more of a warranty extension.

Yup. Just watch - somebody will break their 'inspected' crankset a few years down the road and hurt themselves, and Shimano will open itself up to yet another round of lawsuits. It will be an easy lawsuit to win because Shimano has already admitted that there is a known defect.

Barry2 09-21-23 08:51 PM

Once somebody passes store inspection then fails and gets hurt, only then will become a recall.
Are the retail stores really going to accept this inspection liability for what is a known issue.

“It’s a trap”

Barry

Kabuto 09-21-23 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ljsense (Post 23021867)
Does anyone know if the crankarm/chainring lines and junction are the same on 9100 as 9200? I am wondering if this blend of 9100 11-speed chain rings on 9200 arms is going to be less than seamless.

11 speed chainrings will fit on a 9200 crank and work, but they'll look odd (odd parts cobbled together). I'd just use the 9200 crank with the 12 speed chain rings. As long as the FD is set up properly it'll work fine with an 11 speed drivetrain.

9100 is designed around a 135mm O.L.D. and has a 43.5mm chainline and 146mm Q-factor.
9200 is designed around a 142mm O.L.D. and has a 44.5mm chainline and 148mm Q-factor.
Not much difference, really.

Troul 09-21-23 09:36 PM

deja vu du

GamblerGORD53 09-22-23 12:01 AM

They didn't use GORILLA GLUE?? LOL hahahahahaha
And yah, I said 2 years ago it's a STUPID idea.

KerryIrons 09-22-23 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 23022380)
What does plastic have to do with it?

The cranks being recalled are composite.

CAT7RDR 09-22-23 09:24 AM

So did Shimano issue some type of procedure on how to inspect the cranks?
What exactly makes one fail and needs to be replaced?

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/fi...0201143940.jpg

smd4 09-22-23 09:33 AM

First Gen Hollowtech FTW.

Eric F 09-22-23 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by KerryIrons (Post 23022686)
The cranks being recalled are composite.

The Shimano cranks being discussed are not carbon fiber composite ("plastic"). They are multiple pieces of aluminum bonded together. The bond is the issue.

"The last few generations of Dura Ace and Ultegra cranks have incorporated hollow crank arms and a semi hollow crank arm spider made of aluminum." https://www.hambini.com/shimano-cran...ring-analysis/

Aluminum...the same material as the cranks posted by trailangel. Sorry. CF isn't to blame for this one. Try again.