Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Trsnrtr 05-11-20 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21468209)
They’re great vehicles. Our MDX is a 16, we have over 100k on it and it runs as good as the day it was new, the paint is still perfect and it’s a ton of fun to drive as far as an SUV goes.

I’d consider another, but having no car payment is pretty nice

My wife bought a new TSX back in 2009 and an RDX in 2016. It always takes me 4-5 miles to get use to that tight/twitchy steering since I rarely drive her cars but once I do, it’s cool. :thumb:

datlas 05-11-20 09:06 AM

I woke up this morning to a kitchen table with interesting sparkly heart-shaped cookies spread out.

Good thing I did not try them.

Turns out they are bath bombs. Probably don't taste good.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f692ceb68e.jpg

datlas 05-11-20 09:08 AM

Since I fired Zwift I may be trying out other smart trainer programs. I am less interested in "training" and more interested in distraction.

Suggestions?

Bah Humbug 05-11-20 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21468267)
Since I fired Zwift I may be trying out other smart trainer programs. I am less interested in "training" and more interested in distraction.

Suggestions?

I do like Rouvy, and it has pretty courses to ride through. And itís frugal.

Velo Vol 05-11-20 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21468183)
Velo Vol thinks they only have clover.

I'm surprised you have anything more than tundra there, TBH.

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21468199)
I was considering the raisin bran and cheerios also.

Raisin bran is kind of sugary, but so good. #GuiltyPleasures

LesterOfPuppets 05-11-20 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21467891)
Seems like a lot of work for something so useless (to me) as a lawn. Whenever I buy a house I would love to just gravel the whole lot. Too bad that would likely take a chunk out of the resale value :rolleyes:

The northeast lawn and the backyard were desert landscaped (gravel) but we got enough rain this winter/spring that the weeds were terrible. Weedstop fabric had been put down under the gravel maybe 10 years ago, so it wasn't really doing anything anymore. At that point you gotta spray poison on it a couple times a year or get a propane flamethrower out to torch the yard. I decided growing Bermuda was easier, prettier, and cooler.

LesterOfPuppets 05-11-20 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21467997)
Actually, not joking. Both the Saturn and the kids' car have a slow leak and we typically top them off for free at WaWa once/month.

But with COVID19 I probably need an air compressor to do this at home. Google says there are lots of battery-plug compressors in the $20-30 range. Tough to know which is best because all the on-line reviews have good and bad reviews. Anyone have a unit they like?? Maybe I should cross-post in carforums.net.

I have a C&V Sears unit. It's loud as hell (ear protection definitely necessary) and the valvestem lock doesn't work anymore so you have to hold it on.

Maybe I should look into a rebuild once I finish bringing the rest of the irrigation system into the 21st century.

bampilot06 05-11-20 09:41 AM

weather in albany is dreadful today.

BillyD 05-11-20 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21468348)

We had some showers here but the sun is out atm.

datlas 05-11-20 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21468279)

I will check it out.

I am also going to try CVRcade, it's from the founders of Zwift and apparently is more video-game in nature. Plus free!

phrantic09 05-11-20 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21468348)

Was it windy coming in? Iíve heard in the past that thereís basically always a decent crosswind because of how the airport is situated geographically. Curious if thereís any truth to it.

Bah Humbug 05-11-20 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21468414)
I will check it out.

I am also going to try CVRcade, it's from the founders of Zwift and apparently is more video-game in nature. Plus free!

Now Iím going to go check that out.

Pirkaus 05-11-20 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21468279)

I like Rouvy also, the augmented rides and training are a great diversion.

Pirkaus 05-11-20 10:53 AM

Breakfast varys by the day, bagel and eggs, fruited pancakes, cinnamon raisin French toast...... all in moderation of course. :innocent:

LesterOfPuppets 05-11-20 10:57 AM

Two Yukon golds cubed and fried in olive oil with white onion, rosemary, feta, and sea salt.

One over easy egg.

One slice bacon.

Cup of coffee with whole milk.
​​​

LesterOfPuppets 05-11-20 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21468467)
... fruited pancakes ...

that reminds me I have some blueberries getting a little wrinkly. Think I'll have protein pancakes for lunch with blueberry simple syrup. And another cup of coffee.

Bah Humbug 05-11-20 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21468456)
I like Rouvy also, the augmented rides and training are a great diversion.

I will say the biggest flaw with Rouvy is their focus on soul-crushing climbs, which donít make for good training (especially on the trainer, potentially entering a death spiral). You can do them in training mode and drop the resistance, but I do wish they had more of their in-house, high-quality rides as 20-50 miles of pleasant riding instead of Col du Dedlegs. Many of the best courses for general riding are their user-submitted courses. Including the lovely Kona and Lake Placid IM courses.

BillyD 05-11-20 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21468478)
Two Yukon golds cubed and fried in olive oil with white onion, rosemary, feta, and sea salt.

One over easy egg.

One slice bacon.

Cup of coffee with whole milk.
​​​

???

Pirkaus 05-11-20 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21468489)
I will say the biggest flaw with Rouvy is their focus on soul-crushing climbs, which donít make for good training (especially on the trainer, potentially entering a death spiral). You can do them in training mode and drop the resistance, but I do wish they had more of their in-house, high-quality rides as 20-50 miles of pleasant riding instead of Col du Dedlegs. Many of the best courses for general riding are their user-submitted courses. Including the lovely Kona and Lake Placid IM courses.

I agree, and their challenges tend to slant to the climb heavy end of the spectrums as well. I do like the "bots" in the augmented rides, I use them for pacing. They will keep you working hard, if that's what your interested in.

seedsbelize 05-11-20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21468109)
Ha. Whenever I feel good about my RHR and HRV, relative to the couch-sitters of the world, I can click on to Phil Gaimon's IG and see his whoop stats, indicating a 33bpm RHR and 250+ HRV. :eek:

I feel good about my 54 RHR, at 67 years old. It's unlikely to get any better. I know trainsnorter has me beat, but I've never been more than just a casual, but serious cyclist

seedsbelize 05-11-20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21468267)

Suggestions?

Ingesting chemicals? XXX tv?

datlas 05-11-20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21468561)
Ingesting chemicals? XXX tv?

Dude.

Speaking of chemicals, I was listening to some music and "Break on Through to the Other Side" by The Doors came on.

It somehow seemed different to me. I figured it out....interesting....

In the second verse, the original album and single release has Jim Morrison singing "She gets...." 4 times with a break between each one.

The version I heard has him say "She gets HIGH!" four times.

Turns out, the original version is what I heard, but the record label CENSORED that out and all subsequent versions of the song until the 1990's was played that way. So the censored version sounds "right" to many listeners and the uncensored one sounds almost "wrong."

I still think censors are stupid, but makes for an interesting talking point.

#NowYouKnowTheRestOfTheStory

big john 05-11-20 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21468552)
I feel good about my 54 RHR, at 67 years old. It's unlikely to get any better. I know trainsnorter has me beat, but I've never been more than just a casual, but serious cyclist

Mine's 48 right now which is a little higher than normal but I was just arguing politics on FB so I'm a little agitated. I just turned 66.

abshipp 05-11-20 12:11 PM

I don't have a heat rate tracker, so I just tried to measure my heart rate sitting here at my desk.

My heart rate increases noticeable when I breath in. Never noticed that before:wtf:

Dr. Google says I have a sinus arrhythmia and I'm not going to die (at least immediately, from this).

Weird.

RPK79 05-11-20 12:14 PM

What's this thread about?

My knee is not loving the running this year (or the end of last) so I think I might just dust off my bike for an outdoor ride after work today. First in over a year according to Strava. I hope I remember how to ride it...