Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

WhyFi 03-07-22 02:55 PM

At the risk of making you other REI members jealous, I just got my REI dividend notice. Yup - almost twenty-one whole dollars burnin' a hole in my pocket. :D

Mojo31 03-07-22 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431536)
At the risk of making you other REI members jealous, I just got my REI dividend notice. Yup - almost twenty-one whole dollars burnin' a hole in my pocket. :D

If you wait for a sock sale, you might be able to get a pair.

Mojo31 03-07-22 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22431454)
Fugly

Indeed it is. That may be why they have discontinued it.

Eric F 03-07-22 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431242)
Welp, Trsnrtr, I've done it, now - it's new grinder time. I've been wanting to get in to a single dose machine, which should be less waste and allow me to swap between beans with zero fuss, so I've got a DF64 en route. Hopefully it'll be here in a week or so. They sat in customs for weeks (months?) and I just don't like to pre-pay for something in limbo, but they're finally clear and on the way to the distributor. I went with Red because they were the cheapest and I'm cheap. :o

I read "grinder" and I thought you were talking about shop tools again. I had to read your post again to realize you're talking about coffee.

WhyFi 03-07-22 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22431538)
If you wait for a sock sale, you might be able to get a pair.

Pffft - I bet that I could squeeze in some short, no-show socks at full pop.

genejockey 03-07-22 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431536)

$4.04. Maybe I'll buy a couple energy bars.

WhyFi 03-07-22 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22431544)
I read "grinder" and I thought you were talking about shop tools again. I had to read your post again to realize you're talking about coffee.

No, but it's not like I'm not injecting money in to that industry, too. :roflmao2:

I got my hands on a Milwaukee pin nailer (I got a reconditioned one, but I need to exchange it this week - it's not working up to spec) and electric screw driver (handy little thing) the other day. Might also pick up an oscillating multi-tool; Makita has a promo going - buy a "starter kit" (battery and charger) and you get to choose one of an handful of tools to receive free. The starter kit is on sale for $120 and the multitool normally goes for $130 - seems like a reasonable deal.

WhyFi 03-07-22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22431550)
$4.04. Maybe I'll buy a couple energy bars.

Shot Bloks for the win.

genejockey 03-07-22 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431554)
Shot Bloks for the win.

I have those, but I'm down to my last Clif Bar.

Mojo31 03-07-22 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431546)
Pffft - I bet that I could squeeze in some short, no-show socks at full pop.

That fourth tan line would be money!

WhyFi 03-07-22 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22431555)
I have those, but I'm down to my last Clif Bar.

Clif Bars just sit a little heavy in my stomach. I like them for camping, but not so much otherwise. For rides, I'd rather have a regular granola bar or Pearson's Nut Roll or some such.

phrantic09 03-07-22 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431557)
Clif Bars just sit a little heavy in my stomach. I like them for camping, but not so much otherwise. For rides, I'd rather have a regular granola bar or Pearson's Nut Roll or some such.

Iíve been on an UnTapped kick lately when I rode long enough to need fuel

WhyFi 03-07-22 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22431565)

Oh, is that Ted King's syrup? I'd give it a whirl. In general, though, I feel like stuff marketed for on-bike consumption is just too expensive for what it is. That and, if I need to stop for more fluids, anyway, I like to poke around and see what snacks are available at different convenience stations.

datlas 03-07-22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431557)

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22431565)

A fellow cyclist introduced me to Nature's Bakery Fig bars a few years back. I am sold. They taste way better than usual "energy" bars.

phrantic09 03-07-22 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431567)
Oh, is that Ted King's syrup? I'd give it a whirl. In general, though, I feel like stuff marketed for on-bike consumption is just too expensive for what it is. That and, if I need to stop for more fluids, anyway, I like to poke around and see what snacks are available at different convenience stations.

It is just maple syrup after all. I do the same- if I know I need to top off water I generally bring less good.

LAJ 03-07-22 03:39 PM

I tried Vafel waffles, and I'm sold. One before a ride, and then a pack of Bloks in there somewhere, and I have enough to not suffer on a 4 hour/230-250 TSS ride. I do have one bottle with Tailwind in it too, along with a big and little bottle filled with Roctane.

WhyFi 03-07-22 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22431568)
A fellow cyclist introduced me to Nature's Bakery Fig bars a few years back. I am sold. They taste way better than usual "energy" bars.

Yeah, we used to get those - I liked 'em, but the wife got a nasty one that put her off. She won't look at them after that, so I don't buy any more. Sad.

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22431569)
It is just maple syrup after all. I do the same- if I know I need to top off water I generally bring less good.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'd save for a long, more fast-paced event, just for the jolt of sugar. Otherwise, my stomach appreciates real-ish snacks.

Eric F 03-07-22 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431551)
No, but it's not like I'm not injecting money in to that industry, too. :roflmao2:

I got my hands on a Milwaukee pin nailer (I got a reconditioned one, but I need to exchange it this week - it's not working up to spec) and electric screw driver (handy little thing) the other day. Might also pick up an oscillating multi-tool; Makita has a promo going - buy a "starter kit" (battery and charger) and you get to choose one of an handful of tools to receive free. The starter kit is on sale for $120 and the multitool normally goes for $130 - seems like a reasonable deal.

Sounds like a great deal!

I've got eyes on a bench-top drill press and a cordless jigsaw, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. This past weekend, I got some corner squares and clamps, and the feet and wheels for a small work/outfeed table. We put floor-to-ceiling pegboard on one wall of our shop area, painted it black, and now it's getting a spray paint art treatment from my daughter before we start hanging stuff on it.

WhyFi 03-07-22 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22431575)
I tried Vafel waffles, and I'm sold. One before a ride, and then a pack of Bloks in there somewhere, and I have enough to not suffer on a 4 hour/230-250 TSS ride. I do have one bottle with Tailwind in it too, along with a big and little bottle filled with Roctane.

I still wish I'd stumble across some of those Belgian Boys snacks that (I think) you'd posted before. :love:

edit: Target supposedly has some stuff in stock. I'll look tomorrow.

rjones28 03-07-22 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22431458)
A lot of times they are. I should have specified only to do that for legit email lists you're subscribed to. I enter a lot of contests that require signing up for an email list, so I have to have an Unsubscribe party every year or two.

Reminds me that I should unsubscribe from the Jeep-related things I have, since there is no longer a Jeep vehicle in the rjones28 motorpool.

WhyFi 03-07-22 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22431578)

I've got eyes on a bench-top drill press and a cordless jigsaw, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. This past weekend, I got some corner squares and clamps, and the feet and wheels for a small work/outfeed table. We put floor-to-ceiling pegboard on one wall of our shop area, painted it black, and now it's getting a spray paint art treatment from my daughter before we start hanging stuff on it.

WEN has some pretty decent and inexpensive bench-top drill presses. No complaints about the one that I have (making a proper table/fence for it is on my shortlist - maybe this weekend...).

I've never warmed to jigsaws, but that's probably because the one that I have sucks. Would love to add a bandsaw to the works sooner rather than later, though; I'd like to do some template work, and removing the bulk of the material with the bandsaw would help a lot.

genejockey 03-07-22 03:59 PM

I take along a package of Shot Bloks and a Clif Bar on Sunday rides, but I only eat the Shot Bloks, usually at the halfway point (where I took the pics I posted yesterday), unless I really feel empty during the last half of the ride. So the Clif Bar is really just there for backup. I do tend to eat them if I go for the 65 mile version of the ride.

I have a fairly light lunch usually ( a simple sandwich and apple with a coke), so often when I get home and get ready to Zwift, I'm kinda running on empty, so I tend to suck down a single gel, mostly for easy digestion and a fast carb hit.

Mojo31 03-07-22 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22431581)
Reminds me that I should unsubscribe from the Jeep-related things I have, since there is no longer a Jeep vehicle in the rjones28 motorpool.

Once a Jeeper, always a Jeeper.

seedsbelize2 03-07-22 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22431578)

It's not always easy being a train of thought guy. My wife, for example, doesn't think much of it.

Mojo31 03-07-22 04:30 PM

Oreos.

Eric F 03-07-22 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22431591)
WEN has some pretty decent and inexpensive bench-top drill presses. No complaints about the one that I have (making a proper table/fence for it is on my shortlist - maybe this weekend...).

I've never warmed to jigsaws, but that's probably because the one that I have sucks. Would love to add a bandsaw to the works sooner rather than later, though; I'd like to do some template work, and removing the bulk of the material with the bandsaw would help a lot.

The WEN 4212T is the one on my list. Glad to hear you like yours. I've seen quite a few good reviews online, but I know a lot of those tend to be sponsored. I have a 40-year-old jigsaw that I've had since I was kid. It gets used from time to time, including recently to notch out edges of the pegboard to fit around outlets, etc. I also want to pick up a brad nailer.

I've got all the materials I need to put together the router table insert for my table saw. I'll get that done before I start on my table project.

rjones28 03-07-22 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22431656)
Once a Jeeper, always a Jeeper.

Maybe

indyfabz 03-07-22 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22431701)
Mo hasn't been around either. Maybe he and V V have something goin on.

bampilot06 03-07-22 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22431609)
I take along a package of Shot Bloks and a Clif Bar on Sunday rides, but I only eat the Shot Bloks, usually at the halfway point (where I took the pics I posted yesterday), unless I really feel empty during the last half of the ride. So the Clif Bar is really just there for backup. I do tend to eat them if I go for the 65 mile version of the ride.

I have a fairly light lunch usually ( a simple sandwich and apple with a coke), so often when I get home and get ready to Zwift, I'm kinda running on empty, so I tend to suck down a single gel, mostly for easy digestion and a fast carb hit.

had my first shot bloks today. Those things are awesome. Definitely need to get some in the future.

Century done. Started off super strong was looking like I might be able to do it sub 5 hours but the wind. got worse and worse the closer we got to richmond. On the way back we stopped at Charles City for a break. Both of us felt worse after that. The last 10 miles were hard, but I did surprise both of us by holding 20 mph for the last stretch. 100 miles were completed at 5 hours and 31 mins, I think thatís my fastest yet. Next time hopefully I will try when I am fresh.

Velo is alive and well.

bampilot06 03-07-22 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22431189)
It's a first world problem, but I still feel slightly annoyed, enough to gripe about it.

My personal email started getting too much spam about 1 year ago, so I set the filter to "exclusive/contacts only" but still did my best to eyeball the "spam" filter as rarely, like 1 in 100, of those emails in junk/spam were actually something useful.

However, in the past year the number of junk/spam emails has easily tripled, and life is too short for me to scan through several hundred junk emails daily, looking for a needle in a haystack.

:50:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...776c3f7c33.png

Im pretty positive 25,850 of those emails are scam.