Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

jamesj 01-17-20 10:20 AM

Needing to update my tires on my 1979 Brown Raleigh since they kendas have been on it since I bought it 2 years ago, they are now cracked and needing replacing. What do you all think I should get next?

Has anyone seen these?
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/roadsport/p/155765
on
eriks bikeshop I had asked and they said they are ISO 38-590.
https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/specia...3e3117/product

bluesteak 01-17-20 05:51 PM

are you saying your tires are 2 years old or donít you know how old they are?

I donít have experience with either.

adventurepdx 01-18-20 02:52 AM


Originally Posted by jamesj (Post 21288179)
Needing to update my tires on my 1979 Brown Raleigh since they kendas have been on it since I bought it 2 years ago, they are now cracked and needing replacing. What do you all think I should get next?

Has anyone seen these?
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/roadsport/p/155765t

No experience with those Specialized tires, though they look very "modern".
For price, aesthetics, and durability, I think Schwalbe Delta Cruisers can't be beat. Panaracer Col de la Vies are also swell, but since they are just a tad wider can cause some fit issues with old Raleighs.

BigChief 01-18-20 05:11 AM


Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 21289236)
No experience with those Specialized tires, though they look very "modern".
For price, aesthetics, and durability, I think Schwalbe Delta Cruisers can't be beat. Panaracer Col de la Vies are also swell, but since they are just a tad wider can cause some fit issues with old Raleighs.

I've been using Kendas without any problem for a while now. I like that they are plain black without any colored lettering or reflective strips. I have some that are well over 2 years old and I don't see any cracks in the sidewalls. I do wish they sold the brown version here in the US.

adventurepdx 01-19-20 01:05 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21289264)
I've been using Kendas without any problem for a while now. I like that they are plain black without any colored lettering or reflective strips. I have some that are well over 2 years old and I don't see any cracks in the sidewalls. I do wish they sold the brown version here in the US.

Kendas can be okay, but it seems like their quality control on the 590 tires can vary a bit.Still, I got some good life out of the Kenda/Nimbus "hybrid" tires for this size.

I don't mind reflective stripes on my bikes, as they add some extra visibility for night riding.

bluesteak 01-20-20 11:43 AM

Brake pads
 
Some of my bikes still have possibly the original 60 plus year old brake pads. I have adjusted them and replaced some where I have to.

The original holders were obviously refillable. Does anyone make new blocks for them?

What should I be using that will provide safety, retain the right look, and wear well? Also, I have aluminum rims waiting for the Hopper project. How does that change things?
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1d3075b74.jpeg

FBOATSB 01-20-20 12:05 PM


Originally Posted by bluesteak (Post 21292123)
Some of my bikes still have possibly the original 60 plus year old brake pads. I have adjusted them and replaced some where I have to.

The original holders were obviously refillable. Does anyone make new blocks for them?

What should I be using that will provide safety, retain the right look, and wear well? Also, I have aluminum rims waiting for the Hopper project. How does that change things?
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1d3075b74.jpeg

I would say if you are changing to aluminum rims most definitely you should change to modern pads like kool stop. I'm keeping the original steel rims on my project and will be road testing the original '74 pads before deciding on replacements.

BigChief 01-20-20 04:41 PM

I like Kool Stop Continentals, but if you want a more traditional look Fibrax pads are still available. The new Fibrax are closed on both sides now so it doesn't matter which way they face and you can hold your bike at a stop on an uphill! Gotta love this modern technology.

gster 01-20-20 05:08 PM

Listed as a 1958
Looks good at $175.00 on Toronto Kijiji
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4959790196.png

markk900 01-20-20 06:20 PM

Oooo - Chrome socks on a roadster...

BigChief 01-20-20 07:23 PM


Originally Posted by markk900 (Post 21292722)
Oooo - Chrome socks on a roadster...

Yeah, Canadians got the cool Superbes with two tone paint and chrome socks. Different colors too. I think it's a Superbe. Is that an AG hub? Very nice. 58 looks right.

clubman 01-20-20 09:07 PM

...but don't forget we only rate vinyl Brooks saddles. Tit for tat.

Johno59 01-21-20 07:12 AM

Last chance saloon
 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 21283686)
AFAIK, that's the only way to remove the cog from the driver. Sturmey-Archer actually recommended replacing the threaded drivers with splined drivers once the splined driver became available.



That's how I did it as well:

http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/threaded-driver-fix.jpg

I've had rear sprockets that that were so stuck they would have destroyed any wrench/bar/ vise. The best option is to use a hack saw and cut diagonally thru the sprocket until just before u reach the thread of the driver. Put a pipe wrench so the trailing jaw grips the first tooth beyond your cut. With moderate force the sprocket cracks and peels off the thread.
Needless to say the sprocket is toast.
Heat , surprisingly, makes no difference in my experience.

gster 01-21-20 10:02 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21292816)
Yeah, Canadians got the cool Superbes with two tone paint and chrome socks. Different colors too. I think it's a Superbe. Is that an AG hub? Very nice. 58 looks right.

Yes, listed as a Superbe and yes, rear Dynohub.

BigChief 01-22-20 05:32 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21293530)
Yes, listed as a Superbe and yes, rear Dynohub.

I didn't know the Canadian Superbes didn't come with Brooks saddles. Odd that they would add all those premium features and then spoil it with a clumsy saddle. Still, that is a good looking bike.

gster 01-22-20 09:02 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21294741)
I didn't know the Canadian Superbes didn't come with Brooks saddles. Odd that they would add all those premium features and then spoil it with a clumsy saddle. Still, that is a good looking bike.

Perhaps a leather saddle was an upgrade offered by the dealers here.
I wouldn't know as I wasn't interested in 3 speeds back then.....
My first self purchased bike was from Sears in Ottawa, 1977.
A ten speed, probably a house brand, Free Spirit?
My Aunt worked there and I got a discount.

Ballenxj 01-22-20 09:30 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21294741)
I didn't know the Canadian Superbes didn't come with Brooks saddles. Odd that they would add all those premium features and then spoil it with a clumsy saddle. Still, that is a good looking bike.

Maybe somebody swapped the saddle before offering for sale?

gster 01-23-20 08:37 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...db936d18b0.jpg

clubman 01-23-20 02:39 PM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 21294968)
Maybe somebody swapped the saddle before offering for sale?

Nope. I've had at least dozen or two Canadian Superbes pass through my hands. All came with vinyl with leather seats at extra cost.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cc821e6ef4.jpg

Ballenxj 01-23-20 02:48 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21297046)
Nope. I've had at least dozen or two Canadian Superbes pass through my hands. All came with vinyl with leather seats at extra cost.

Ah, Okay, I didn't know they had that option, but it stands to reason they did. :o

BigChief 01-23-20 04:15 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21297046)
Nope. I've had at least dozen or two Canadian Superbes pass through my hands. All came with vinyl with leather seats at extra cost.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cc821e6ef4.jpg

I like this red one. Early 60s? Scruffy, but not too scruffy. Never saw a headlamp bracket mounted on the top of the stem before. I know for a while in the 40s they used a similar mount on the stem clamp, but returned to the traditional bracket in the 50s. Nice bike.

clubman 01-23-20 06:43 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 21297152)
I like this red one. Early 60s? Scruffy, but not too scruffy. Never saw a headlamp bracket mounted on the top of the stem before. I know for a while in the 40s they used a similar mount on the stem clamp, but returned to the traditional bracket in the 50s. Nice bike.

Thanks! It was also just scruffy enough to ride passably even with a slight twist in the fork. Didn't matter at the $20 cost. I wasn't fond of the light position but the original bracket was still there. It also had a form of Tourist(?) short bars. After a year or so, I gave it to some guy who was already buying a smaller Sports frame from me. I surprised him with a pay-it-forward. He had a nice-but-desperate vibe going on so it was fine. After all, it was a 23 and I ride 21. :)

gster 01-24-20 09:23 AM

Here's another Superbe offered for sale in Toronto.
Owner claims it to be all original
leather saddle...
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0632802bfe.png

browngw 01-24-20 10:22 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 21294923)
Perhaps a leather saddle was an upgrade offered by the dealers here.
I wouldn't know as I wasn't interested in 3 speeds back then.....
My first self purchased bike was from Sears in Ottawa, 1977.
A ten speed, probably a house brand, Free Spirit?
My Aunt worked there and I got a discount.

I think some of our Sears and Simpson Sears bikes were branded Ted Williams as well.

gster 01-24-20 12:22 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6eb6427447.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9674cbe5ca.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e999579926.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.