Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Interesting finds around the web (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=929230)

tobukog 02-18-18 06:24 PM

Gebhardt in those sizes is only 1/8. That's so 2000s. 3/32 if you want to race.

Morelock 02-18-18 08:22 PM

brilliant!

Thanks guys.

jsk 02-18-18 10:33 PM

Dixie Flyer also sells chainrings up to 64t.

700wheel 02-19-18 04:49 PM

I was a little surprised to read this on the British Cycling web site https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/kn...Cooling-Down-0

A good rule of thumb is that the shorter and more explosive an event is, the longer a warm-up needs to be. Before an all-out effort such as track sprint, riders may spend more than an hour building up to the race.


What warm up period do people on this forum use for 500m?
Thanks.

Baby Puke 02-19-18 08:18 PM

Asian track championships results:
https://atresults.wixsite.com/attiming/acct2018

Japanese elite men taking the kilo, sprints, team sprint, team pursuit, and individual pursuit; Japanese elite women taking team pursuit and omnium so far.

Clythio 02-19-18 10:36 PM


Originally Posted by 700wheel (Post 20178592)
I was a little surprised to read this on the British Cycling web site https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/kn...Cooling-Down-0

A good rule of thumb is that the shorter and more explosive an event is, the longer a warm-up needs to be. Before an all-out effort such as track sprint, riders may spend more than an hour building up to the race.


What warm up period do people on this forum use for 500m?
Thanks.

What about training? I've seen people just resting over soft eiderdowns for 10, 15 min, then roll lazy for a lap or two and.. jump for a very fast lap from stand.. roll down for two laps, stop, and get back to the blankets for 10, 15 min.... not my old fashion way of doing things..

taras0000 02-19-18 10:43 PM


Originally Posted by 700wheel (Post 20178592)
I was a little surprised to read this on the British Cycling web site https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/kn...Cooling-Down-0

A good rule of thumb is that the shorter and more explosive an event is, the longer a warm-up needs to be. Before an all-out effort such as track sprint, riders may spend more than an hour building up to the race.


What warm up period do people on this forum use for 500m?
Thanks.

Back in the day my "warm up" for the Kilo would start at 3 hours out if I didn't have any other races that day (and that would be my "perfect prep/warm up).

Basically for me, my body needs to be moving for quite a while before I can optimally max out. Can't quite explain it, but it's sort of like some people's brains are only 100% fully awake 2-3 hours after they wake up. My body is the same way, so basically, I would just ride the rollers real easy on and off for the first 2 hours, for 5-10 minutes at a time, and get a light sweat going early on. It also helps to get one's head in the right mind set. My real warm-up to the event was actually started about an hour out.

Basically for an intense event, you want to warm up longer to space out any efforts you do. An explosive event requires that you "wake-up" the nervous system so that you can literally fire all of your muscles at once. Spacing out these efforts allows one to properly recover and not tax themselves too much before the actual event.

carleton 02-19-18 11:33 PM


Originally Posted by Clythio (Post 20179119)
What about training? I've seen people just resting over soft eiderdowns for 10, 15 min, then roll lazy for a lap or two and.. jump for a very fast lap from stand.. roll down for two laps, stop, and get back to the blankets for 10, 15 min.... not my old fashion way of doing things..

Ummm...were you watching me at the track on Sunday? :foo:

SyntaxMonstr 02-20-18 02:38 AM


Originally Posted by tobukog (Post 20176857)
Gebhardt in those sizes is only 1/8. That's so 2000s. 3/32 if you want to race.

Wait what's the reasoning here?

topflightpro 02-20-18 07:15 AM

I got some Gr8 rings a few weeks ago. I haven't used them by they seem nice. A buddy was putting in an order, and he asked me if I wanted to order some too, to split shipping. I wasn't planning to get rings then, but I figured what the heck.

tobukog 02-20-18 07:52 AM


Originally Posted by SyntaxMonstr (Post 20179249)
Wait what's the reasoning here?

It's a joke. People usually fall into one of two camps, with 1/8 being the much larger group as far as I can tell, and it's often harder to find 3/32 in the the sizes you want. Sugino Zen is only 1/8, but my friend put together a special order/ request to have a run of large 3/32 rings. Endurance racers have often tended to favor 3/32. Morelock, who is looking for every last drop of wattage, would probably be better off on a 3/32. I have actually been using an 11 speed chain -- gasp!

Morelock 02-20-18 08:15 AM

I saw Colby Pearce picked up some Zen's in 3/32 the other day (from his instagram)

I'm not hip though... I like my big bulky 1/8 stuff :D Although If I find the "perfect" gear in time I might still end up going to 3/32... (and send it off to Atomic for some coating...)

carleton 02-20-18 08:30 AM

Going 3/32" isn't the end of the world. You just have to buy all of your own stuff new up front (used 3/32" is rare) and you probably won't be able to borrow anything in a pinch. But, borrowing should be rare.

With the chainrings being so big now, the weight savings could be significant.

Morelock 02-20-18 08:36 AM

58/15 is what I'm thinking... but I need to ride it (and make sure it clears my track elite) a good bit to be sure. So currently just need a cheap 1/8 58t :D

SyntaxMonstr 02-20-18 09:09 AM


Originally Posted by Morelock (Post 20179499)
58/15 is what I'm thinking... but I need to ride it (and make sure it clears my track elite) a good bit to be sure. So currently just need a cheap 1/8 58t :D

58 will clear a Track Elite. Friend of mine has a 60 on his.

SyntaxMonstr 02-20-18 09:10 AM


Originally Posted by tobukog (Post 20179436)
It's a joke. People usually fall into one of two camps, with 1/8 being the much larger group as far as I can tell, and it's often harder to find 3/32 in the the sizes you want. Sugino Zen is only 1/8, but my friend put together a special order/ request to have a run of large 3/32 rings. Endurance racers have often tended to favor 3/32. Morelock, who is looking for every last drop of wattage, would probably be better off on a 3/32. I have actually been using an 11 speed chain -- gasp!

Oh, haha, I was wondering if there was some serious science behind it and I was just following dated trends. Thanks for the clarification.

Morelock 02-20-18 09:24 AM


Originally Posted by SyntaxMonstr (Post 20179572)
58 will clear a Track Elite. Friend of mine has a 60 on his.


nice, thanks!

carleton 02-20-18 09:49 AM


Originally Posted by SyntaxMonstr (Post 20179576)
Oh, haha, I was wondering if there was some serious science behind it and I was just following dated trends. Thanks for the clarification.

Some of it is weight. Let's say that a rider is moderately sized and not laying down a lot of torque. They may not need the thicker 1/8" and might appreciate the lighter 3/32".

There was talk of 3/32" providing better feel based on the chain chosen. 3/32" might be more elastic.

This is stuff that I'm recalling from Fixed Gear Fever when it came up. I have no experience with 3/32".

There are some prominent riders (enduros) that use 3/32". I raced with a guy that used 3/32". Strong enduro type, but could also lay down a mean 500M.

It not any worse than 1/8"...just different. A side-grade, I guess.

brawlo 02-20-18 05:32 PM


Originally Posted by carleton (Post 20179653)
There are some prominent riders (enduros) that use 3/32". I raced with a guy that used 3/32". Strong enduro type, but could also lay down a mean 500M.

FWIW I believe 9sp is a 3/32 and that is what I use on my trainer bike. I've beat the hell out of 2 bikes running on that gear for about 7 years now, and about a year ago I broke my first chain. Standing and seated starts galore and 100% Kickr efforts too.


Originally Posted by spartanKid (Post 20180271)
FWIW A Fuji Elite will clear at least a 64

https://www.instagram.com/p/BecptrbjqT_

He runs a wide BB, but notes on the FB TS page that there's room to run it with a standard BB.

Clythio 02-20-18 09:25 PM


Originally Posted by carleton (Post 20179174)
Ummm...were you watching me at the track on Sunday? :foo:

:)
I'm the old guy used to keep soft spinning on easy rollers between efforts, instead of almost sleeping on the ground.
Not sure yet what's right, nowadays...

Monkeyfudger 02-21-18 09:48 AM

https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/02/21...-meter-cranks/

carleton 02-21-18 11:31 AM


Originally Posted by Monkeyfudger (Post 20182009)

It seems that their selling point is the accuracy. No one has complained about SRM's accuracy.

It does offer left and right power measurement, which isn't a big deal. The biggest plus is the user-replaceable battery. The biggest downside seems to be the "< 5s" startup time (per official documentation).

The price is $300 less than SRM.

It seems to use the type of strain gauge that is plopped in the middle of the crank arm. I wonder if this hole in the crank arm affects how much torque the arm can handle before breaking. This might be a concern for the huge sprinters.

https://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content...dy-to-race.jpg

I love to see new Track Power Meters on the market.

Monkeyfudger 02-21-18 12:15 PM

Yeah way too rich for me but I thought it was an interesting product non the less after reading your comments ref missing data from standing starts, seems they’ve tried to address this and also recognise that torque is also an important metric to be able to see/record.

Aye the always bang on about accuracy, it’s just something they have to mention to keep people interested.

carleton 02-21-18 03:36 PM


Originally Posted by Monkeyfudger (Post 20182379)
Yeah way too rich for me but I thought it was an interesting product non the less after reading your comments ref missing data from standing starts, seems they’ve tried to address this and also recognise that torque is also an important metric to be able to see/record.

Aye the always bang on about accuracy, it’s just something they have to mention to keep people interested.

When I was looking into making a cycling head unit out of an iPhone, I researched a lot about ANT+ and Bluetooth LE and how it works.

The last power meter that was able to pick up early standing start data was the SRM Wired Track Cranks with PowerControl 5 head unit, using 2 reed switches.

Standing start pickup time has less to do with a head unit "waking up" and more to do with the cranks rotating 2 full rotations (using 1 reed switch). That's how long it takes for a crank to calculate your cadence (time between each rotation). If you can complete 2 full rotations in 1 second, the head unit will start recording then.

2 reed switches helps because instead of 2 rotations being needed, you only need 2 HALF rotations...or 1 rotation :D

But, this doubles your cadence readings which in turn doubles your power readings. So, the head unit has to be smart enough to halve the cadence data THEN calculate the power. SRM used to have a "2 reed switch" check box in its software, but to be compatible with others, it removed this.

So, basically, SRM dummed-down the product to be more compatible :(

carleton 02-21-18 03:37 PM

This is also the result of the road-focus of the power meter products. "Who needs the first 5 seconds of a crit? I'm not even in my other pedal by then! lol..."

If the infocrank were truly making a track PM from the ground up, they would have taken this into consideration. More than half of the track events begin with a standing start.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:40 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.