Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   why use gloves? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1228811)

motopokep 04-22-21 12:38 AM

why use gloves?

why use gloves for road cycling? do some get calluses w/o them, do others wear them for better grip? do some wear for protection in case they go down and have to break the fall with their hands, to save the skin?

HTupolev 04-22-21 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by motopokep (Post 22025664)
why use gloves for road cycling? do some get calluses w/o them, do others wear them for better grip? do some wear for protection in case they go down and have to break the fall with their hands, to save the skin?

Any or all of the above. Also to keep the hands warm in cold weather. Some gloves also contain padding to cushion the hands, which some people like. It can also be less convenient to keep a good protective coat of sunscreen on the hands than on the rest of the arms, so gloves can help prevent sunburn.

Also because a well-selected pair of gloves can look very fashionable.

rubiksoval 04-22-21 04:36 AM

Some types of bar tape can get very slippery from sweat. I will never ride without gloves in the summer because there's such a risk of my hands slipping off the bars. And that's a disaster at speed.

Also, I've crashed a few times without gloves in cooler weather... having your hands torn up is no good for anything.

I use very thin gloves with no padding solely for the grip and protection.

dmanders 04-22-21 04:56 AM

When I switched to a carbon frame and bars I started wearing gloves to damp vibration a tad.

Ti473 04-22-21 05:36 AM

Also great to wipe your snot. I'm very snotty.
but seriously, why not wear them?

MSchott 04-22-21 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ti473 (Post 22025813)
Also great to wipe your snot. I'm very snotty.

Agree. Vibration absorption and protection against falls are great benefits. I feel naked without them.

eduskator 04-22-21 06:16 AM

For me it's only to keep my hands warm. I wear (or carry a pair) them when it's 10 or below (50f).

jpescatore 04-22-21 06:35 AM

All of the above - last summer I drove to a ride start and forgot to bring gloves. I missed the sweat/snot wiping the most because of how hot it was, and luckily didn't need the skin protection but that's another big reason I wear them.

KLiNCK 04-22-21 06:47 AM

I wear them just for the suntan lines! :thumb:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4648429d9d.png

WhyFi 04-22-21 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ti473 (Post 22025813)

Because I don't want to.

WhyFi 04-22-21 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by motopokep (Post 22025664)

When our wheels and frames assplode, despite dire warnings against riding them, the gloves help to keep the crabon shrapnel out of our palms.

Iride01 04-22-21 07:48 AM

I use to not wear gloves while riding. I wear gloves always now while riding.

The pro side for wearing gloves is many of what was said above. Also, ever so slightly snug gloves seem to give some support to my hands so the individual pieces parts of my hands share the loads with the rest more evenly.

The only con's are trying to take them off and no matter how many pair you have they'll still be in the washer when needed at some point.

It's still a personal preference. I care not if you wear them or don't wear them.

However if I see you after a wreck and your hand is all skinned up, I might say you should'a worn gloves. So you'll just have to grin and take it.

CAT7RDR 04-22-21 08:06 AM

Protect your hands at all costs. Hard to work with injured hands.
Viewer discretion advised:

ridelikeaturtle 04-22-21 08:13 AM

I have a habit of cleaning off my tyres - while I'm moving - if I notice crap stuck on them, like a tiny stone or sandy grit, to prevent it from boring into my tyre and causing a flat. (Usually only happens in the summer when there can be some road tar.) Doing it without gloves is painful.

10 Wheels 04-22-21 08:18 AM

They can Hold a Mirror
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...18acd7ace3.jpg

redcon1 04-22-21 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR (Post 22026043)
Protect your hands at all costs. Hard to work with injured hands.

Yep that vid looked familiar to me. I used to wear gloves when cold, or I felt like it. Then I went OTB and hit the pavement at 22mph-- my left hand had chunks of gravel embedded in the palm, and the skin on the back of my hand was shredded too. No Fun / Lesson learned.

smashndash 04-22-21 10:35 AM

I like wearing minimal but full finger gloves for protection.

I shredded my Rivet CS gloves in my last crash. Hands didn't feel a thing.

DaveSSS 04-22-21 10:48 AM

I quit wearing gloves about 30 years ago, except for winter gloves. I have small hands. Back then, brake levers had no reach adjustment. Gloves only made the reach longer. Ifigured out a way to reduce the reach on Campy brake/shift levers about 15 years before Campy added that feature.

popeye 04-22-21 10:48 AM

What's the downside, less feel?

MoAlpha 04-22-21 11:02 AM

Cheapo mechanic's gloves with tacky palms for me. They preserve grip on sweaty bars and levers—major safety issue—and offer some protection in a crash. Also, with the hundreds of dollars-worth of roadie duds I ride in, it's nice to wear something slightly countercultural.

Doomrider74 04-22-21 11:07 AM

Why wear gloves? Because I want to. The end.

genejockey 04-22-21 11:57 AM

Better grip on the bar when my hands are sweaty. I wear the thinnest possible gloves, because every padded glove I've tried makes my hands hurt.

NoWhammies 04-22-21 12:07 PM

Crash protection for me. As someone who types on a computer for a living, I do all I can to protect my digits.

big john 04-22-21 12:30 PM

Forgot my gloves on a hot, humid day and my hands were slipping so bad it was ridiculous.