Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

rjones28 05-27-20 07:25 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21500284)
In my third meeting of the day. :mad:

I was mostly on administrative tasks at the bike shop today. :o

rjones28 05-27-20 07:30 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21500536)
Your dirty is cleaner than my clean.

Sad

LesterOfPuppets 05-27-20 07:31 PM

Dat flugelhorn tho!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...G?v=1559686237

big john 05-27-20 07:35 PM


Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21500942)
This bike is definitely different. 140m-150mm of travel, and it's highest gear is a 32x11. It's not a bike for flatland offroad. It climbs well for 30+lb bike, but when things slope downhill it's dreamy.

My old SC Nomad was a few pounds lighter, but it cost almost $6k 10 years ago. This complete bike cost a little more than that frame.

The high gear is rarely an issue for me. I'm either climbing or coasting downhill. I even put a 28 on the front.

rjones28 05-27-20 08:17 PM

I cross-chained a bit coming home from the bike shop today -- 13/36 -- during a bit of a break from heading back up the hill to the rjones28 family compound.

Velo Vol 05-27-20 08:31 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21501058)
Dat flugelhorn tho!

Now that I think about it the Canadian Brass tuba guy has used a CF bell.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5c690b5fd6.jpg

LAJ 05-27-20 08:47 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21501058)

Hot

LesterOfPuppets 05-27-20 09:20 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21501134)
I cross-chained a bit coming home from the bike shop today -- 13/36 -- during a bit of a break from heading back up the hill to the rjones28 family compound.

Welp, I guess you'll be needing a new chainring, chain and cassette now. :)

BillyD 05-28-20 06:20 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21501134)
I cross-chained a bit coming home from the bike shop today -- 13/36 -- during a bit of a break from heading back up the hill to the rjones28 family compound.

Reported.

BillyD 05-28-20 06:34 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21501157)
Now that I think about it the Canadian Brass tuba guy has used a CF bell.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5c690b5fd6.jpg

I have a question, it may be a dumb question to some who already know the answer but I’ve never seriously given it any thought before. So do these wind instruments have valves that keep the air at pressure and keep it from bleeding back? Because I can’t imagine a human being can push all that air, like above for example, every time he needs to blow a note. It can’t possibly be with these big convoluted horns.

rjones28 05-28-20 06:36 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21501216)
Welp, I guess you'll be needing a new chainring, chain and cassette now. :)

Nah, just replace the whole bike.

Velo Vol 05-28-20 06:43 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21501623)
I have a question, it may be a dumb question to some who already know the answer but I’ve never seriously given it any thought before. So do these wind instruments have valves that keep the air at pressure and keep it from bleeding back? Because I can’t imagine a human being can push all that air, like above for example, every time he needs to blow a note. It can’t possibly be with these big convoluted horns.

I don't fully understand the physics of it all, but the sound has very little to do with air pressure, per se. It's about vibrations--which start with the air flowing through the player's lips. You do need faster air (higher pressure, so to speak) to play higher. The valves "lengthen" the instrument, thus changing the pitch.

Bah Humbug 05-28-20 07:20 AM

Who's such a stud he killed his OG Hammer this morning?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GmuZA00QU1...0/This_guy.jpg

WhyFi 05-28-20 07:22 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21501683)
Who's such a stud he killed his OG Hammer this morning?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GmuZA00QU1...0/This_guy.jpg

Dial down the wattz, Lance.

Bah Humbug 05-28-20 07:30 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21501686)
Dial down the wattz, Lance.

I'm not sure if I'm proud or pissed. I also think (hope) it's just the freehub portion and that the LBS can bring it back to life. If not, Neo 2T will be ordered. But yeah, was plowing up an 8% grade on Rouvy this morning, hear a *crack*, and then there's no resistance in any gear and the cassette just spins.

This also dovetails with my intent to invest in an MP1 to take some abuse off the rest of the system.

Bah Humbug 05-28-20 07:34 AM

And it wasn’t even 400w. The session’s peak was 381w to that point, and it was under that when it said “no más”.

noodle soup 05-28-20 07:36 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21501683)
Who's such a stud he killed his OG Hammer this morning?

What the hell is an OG Hammer?

Bah Humbug 05-28-20 07:39 AM


Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21501718)
What the hell is an OG Hammer?

I suspect you know and are going for pedantry, but the original generation Saris Hammer.

BillyD 05-28-20 07:40 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21501640)
I don't fully understand the physics of it all, but the sound has very little to do with air pressure, per se. It's about vibrations--which start with the air flowing through the player's lips. You do need faster air (higher pressure, so to speak) to play higher. The valves "lengthen" the instrument, thus changing the pitch.

Ok, but let me put my question another way. Is it that air just occupies space in the tubes at atmospheric pressure, and that for each note the musician wants to create he needs to move all that stagnant air up to a certain speed? Or is it that the air in the tubes is held under pressure until the musician pushes it just a small amount to make a note? It just doesn’t seem possible that the human lungs can push all that stagnant air against the inherent drag of all those narrow tubes for each note he wants to play. But if so, that’s incredible.

LesterOfPuppets 05-28-20 07:42 AM


Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21501718)
What the hell is an OG Hammer?

Tha true OG :)

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...651023175c.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 05-28-20 07:44 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21501726)
Ok, but let me put my question another way. Is it that air just occupies space in the tubes at atmospheric pressure, and that for each note the musician wants to create he needs to move all that stagnant air up to a certain speed? Or is it that the air in the tubes is held under pressure until the musician pushes it just a small amount to make a note? It just doesn’t seem possible that the human lungs can push all that stagnant air against the inherent drag of all those narrow tubes for each note he wants to play. But if so, that’s incredible.

You're just changing the length of tubing the air/vibrations travel through, which changes the pitch.

IIRC.

noodle soup 05-28-20 07:56 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21501724)
I suspect you know and are going for pedantry, but the original generation Saris Hammer.

Nope. I've never heard of that, but I don't know much about indoor cycling equipment.

noodle soup 05-28-20 08:12 AM

Bigger is better

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7516f804_o.jpg

abshipp 05-28-20 08:14 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21501726)
Ok, but let me put my question another way. Is it that air just occupies space in the tubes at atmospheric pressure, and that for each note the musician wants to create he needs to move all that stagnant air up to a certain speed? Or is it that the air in the tubes is held under pressure until the musician pushes it just a small amount to make a note? It just doesn’t seem possible that the human lungs can push all that stagnant air against the inherent drag of all those narrow tubes for each note he wants to play. But if so, that’s incredible.


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21501738)
You're just changing the length of tubing the air/vibrations travel through, which changes the pitch.

IIRC.

The way I understand it is that the shape and size of the tubes that make up the instrument are sized in order to facilitate resonance of the air at certain frequencies. The instrument is at atmospheric pressure on the inside, and the only real airflow that moves through is a byproduct of the moving air required to create the initial vibration with your lips. The valves just change the length of the tube that the sound waves travel through, with each valve combination tuned to resonate at a specific frequency. Most brass instruments I've tried are quite free-blowing, there is some resistance but not a whole lot. The smaller the ID of the tubes, the more resistance there is. Try blowing through a straw vs blowing through a paper towel tube.

I have played both trumpet and tuba. The tuba does require a bit more airflow, but that just seems to be a necessary consequence of the amount of air it takes to vibrate your lips at frequencies that the tuba is designed to resonate at. If you want to try a silly experiment, try to buzz your lips at a high frequency and then at a very low and floppy frequency. I think you'll find that the latter will exhaust your lungs a lot faster than the former.

TL;DR - You just make the air inside the horn vibrate from buzzing your lips, any air movement through the horn is a necessary byproduct of that.

LAJ 05-28-20 08:21 AM

Crikey. If I didn't have 10 sets of rim brake rims.....

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...ajor=1&minor=1


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.