Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

seedsbelize 06-01-20 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21509944)
I remember, as a kid, being told about "may you live in interesting times". Man I long for a good boring decade.

You know, this might be a the big one. The Philippines has already been hit by a cyclone. And El Salvador by a severe tropical storm. That's where our rain is coming from. They got much more, much more quickly---mudslides, washouts, deaths.The rain from that depression is scheduled to continue through this week. The southeast part of the peninsula looks to get 12". Same with parts of Chiapas, which is steep and prone to mudslides. Puerto Rico and The Bahamas are still trying to dig out from Maria. Then there are the southeastern United States scrambling to figure out Covid compatible shelters during hurricanes. And the cherry on top? The leader of the free world has checked out.
​​​​​

seedsbelize 06-01-20 09:47 PM

And to all a good night

Velo Vol 06-02-20 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21510427)
We are in an agricultural county.

How are your foaling management skills? Maybe you should hit a refresher course at the Caz?

bampilot06 06-02-20 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21510507)
You know, this might be a the big one. The Philippines has already been hit by a cyclone. And El Salvador by a severe tropical storm. That's where our rain is coming from. They got much more, much more quickly---mudslides, washouts, deaths.The rain from that depression is scheduled to continue through this week. The southeast part of the peninsula looks to get 12". Same with parts of Chiapas, which is steep and prone to mudslides. Puerto Rico and The Bahamas are still trying to dig out from Maria. Then there are the southeastern United States scrambling to figure out Covid compatible shelters during hurricanes. And the cherry on top? The leader of the free world has checked out.
​​​​​

I donít understand stand the southeastern part scrambling of hurricane shelters during covid?

Trsnrtr 06-02-20 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21510350)
Ah. I was thinking you'd been riding it for 41 years. That would be impressive.

No, that would be impressive. I don't recall ever owning one single bike more than 10 years and even then only a couple. Most only make it 4-5 years at the most though my latest is going on 6 years.

Jadesfire 06-02-20 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21510745)
I donít understand stand the southeastern part scrambling of hurricane shelters during covid?

I believe he's referring to families and emergency managers having to contend with social distancing (and the resultant need for more than the usual number of shelters to fit everyone safely), PPE requirements, and temperature checks for potentially thousands of people leaving the coasts (and New Orleans 'cause GTFO of there already for a storm).

datlas 06-02-20 06:12 AM

Hey gang, does anyone have a favorite weather site? I used to love Weather.com and its app, but it jumped the shark awhile ago.

More recently I have been using weather underground, but at least the web version is slow and has stupid pop-ups. MyRadar app is great for live radar, but I am interested in more detail especially day-before and day-of ride conditions, and would be interested in knowing if there are other options that people use and like.

rjones28 06-02-20 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21510681)
How are your foaling management skills? Maybe you should hit a refresher course at the Caz?

Maybe. Lots of acreage around here is becoming horse pastures.

Trsnrtr 06-02-20 06:39 AM

I use Weatherbug on my iPhone and iPad but haven't found a decent site on the desktop.

If you want to have some fun, I have an app called WTForecast on my iPhone that rudely tells me the weather everyday. This is a screenshot of the only "clean" report that it gave me this morning. Generally, it tells me the weather using curse words. :D

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eab069b78.jpeg

WhyFi 06-02-20 06:44 AM

I woke and found signs of mayhem on the dining room table - the contents of a flower vase were scattered, adjacent window blinds askew and the culprit conveniently left tufts of fur as a calling card. Britt is usually a very mild-mannered cat, so we were in disbelief that she'd so thoroughly flipped-out.

A few minutes later, Britt hopped on top of the table again, right in front of us, tail twitching madly. My wife shooed her away, shocked. "Wait a second, honey," I said, things clicking in to place, "what are those little purple flowers that you put in the vase?"

It took a second to register, then she sheepishly replied, "cat mint. Sorry."

rjones28 06-02-20 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21510804)
I woke and found signs of mayhem on the dining room table - the contents of a flower vase were scattered, adjacent window blinds askew and the culprit conveniently left tufts of fur as a calling card. Britt is usually a very mild-mannered cat, so we were in disbelief that she'd so thoroughly flipped-out.

A few minutes later, Britt hopped on top of the table again, right in front of us, tail twitching madly. My wife shooed her away, shocked. "Wait a second, honey," I said, things clicking in to place, "what are those little purple flowers that you put in the vase?"

Oh boy

seedsbelize 06-02-20 07:08 AM

The rain let up again, a few minutes ago. The entire back yard is a shallow lake. And a large part of the front. There is a heretofore unknown roof leak in the man cave, and another in the man cave kitchen(flat concrete roof) But there are puddles in other parts of the house that have no explanation. They are just there. I had to turn in my quilt, last night, and get out of he sleeping bag, because the quilt is seemingly wicking moisture out of the air

seedsbelize 06-02-20 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21510776)
Hey gang, does anyone have a favorite weather site? I used to love Weather.com and its app, but it jumped the shark awhile ago.

More recently I have been using weather underground, but at least the web version is slow and has stupid pop-ups. MyRadar app is great for live radar, but I am interested in more detail especially day-before and day-of ride conditions, and would be interested in knowing if there are other options that people use and like.

I use Weather Bug. And, this time of year also the NOAA hurricane center
Edit: For the desktop, Windy.com is a good one.

Trsnrtr 06-02-20 07:13 AM

:lol:

berner 06-02-20 07:16 AM

The masterminds in Washington and other centers of government must be on the people equivalent of cat nip as they also turn destructive.

abshipp 06-02-20 07:25 AM

:D

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21510831)
The rain let up again, a few minutes ago. The entire back yard is a shallow lake. And a large part of the front. There is a heretofore unknown roof leak in the man cave, and another in the man cave kitchen(flat concrete roof) But there are puddles in other parts of the house that have no explanation. They are just there. I had to turn in my quilt, last night, and get out of he sleeping bag, because the quilt is seemingly wicking moisture out of the air

After a few days of very high humidity I went downstairs and found a puddle of water on a folded-up air mattress. Must be condensation.

abshipp 06-02-20 07:41 AM

Forecast to be 91įF today.

Going to need to thoroughly pre-hydrate a-la Velo Vol since I only have one bottle cage on my bike. And even more so because I forgot to bring an additional one to stuff in my jersey pocket :o

seedsbelize 06-02-20 07:49 AM

A wonderful story to start the day with.

big john 06-02-20 08:02 AM

My cat loves my mountain bike shoes. Must be the smells from riding through brush because he is only remotely interested in other shoes. Anyway late at night he will go into the closet (hollow hardwood floors) and throw them around, sometimes throwing them out of the closet. It is quite noisy.

Velo Vol 06-02-20 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21510868)
Going to need to thoroughly pre-hydrate a-la Velo Vol since I only have one bottle cage on my bike. And even more so because I forgot to bring an additional one to stuff in my jersey pocket :o

Don't forget.

RPK79 06-02-20 08:41 AM

Got out of the city for the weekend and had a little North Shore hiking vacation.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...993614067a.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...88ddc86528.png

RPK79 06-02-20 08:42 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b94e672da7.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...35db995079.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f0c1e3d059.jpg

RPK79 06-02-20 08:43 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9a844c50a7.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...61e6c78723.jpg

BillyD 06-02-20 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21510801)
I use Weatherbug on my iPhone and iPad but haven't found a decent site on the desktop.

If you want to have some fun, I have an app called WTForecast on my iPhone that rudely tells me the weather everyday. This is a screenshot of the only "clean" report that it gave me this morning. Generally, it tells me the weather using curse words. :D

Sounds like my cup of tea, must try. :lol:

I have this snarky app on my Mac that's been around since the very beginning of Mac computers, originally called the Talking Moose, the latest version is called Uli's Moose. Basically there's a voice that pops up frequently during the day with some random snarky remark, cat jokes, ironic observations, all kinds of different dumb, humorous things. It's been on my computer entertaining me literally for over 30 years. Doesn't do the weather, but endearing.

datlas 06-02-20 09:05 AM

Like pics of RPK79