Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

rjones28 06-06-20 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21518561)
Either that chain is really low or you need to cut your lawn.

A little of both.

kissTheApex 06-06-20 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21518546)
Probably. Mind, it only counts outdoors and 72*+, so even my sweltering trainer rides did nothing.

And yes, it takes months to acclimate fully.

yup, nothing on my trainer rides in oven of a garage of mine either. I knew about the 72+ degrees thing. I managed not to get “acclimated” the whole summer last year by starting my rides around 6 am. :D

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21518561)
wut

The new-ish ones do that now. :)

Bah Humbug 06-06-20 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21518580)
yup, nothing on my trainer rides in oven of a garage of mine either. I knew about the 72+ degrees thing. I managed not to get “acclimated” the whole summer last year by starting my rides around 6 am. :D

Yeah I don't think it's accurate at all though. Similarly, heat trashes Performance Condition, even though your actual fitness hasn't changed.

Velo Vol 06-06-20 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21518580)

I have no idea what that's a measurement of.

I can say that I'm 0% acclimated to cold. Garmin not required.

Velo Vol 06-06-20 12:18 PM

This was in Knoxville yesterday. Note coach is wearing a sweatshirt. #NotSummer

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3877b6038.jpeg

kissTheApex 06-06-20 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21518594)
Yeah I don't think it's accurate at all though. Similarly, heat trashes Performance Condition, even though your actual fitness hasn't changed.

Can’t trash what I don’t have :roflmao2:

LesterOfPuppets 06-06-20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21518160)
A family of Gambel's quail having breakfast

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...1a&oe=5F01A88E

We had a small family (only two babies left) in the hedge the other day. I scared the **** out of them when I headed out for a ride and they took off. Neighbor's got 3 outdoor cats, so they've probably a been eaten by now :(

LesterOfPuppets 06-06-20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21518601)

Poor circulation? Chicken fried steak will do that to ya.

Bah Humbug 06-06-20 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21518603)
Can’t trash what I don’t have :roflmao2:

You know it's all relative to what you were prior to that workout, right? If we split the timeline and take the same version of you, but one day is in 60* and the other is 100*, your Performance Condition could be +5 in the former and -5 in the latter, with zero change in how fit you are.

datlas 06-06-20 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21518523)

Can you loan it to Hummer so he can circumcise his steerer??

kissTheApex 06-06-20 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21518617)
You know it's all relative to what you were prior to that workout, right? If we split the timeline and take the same version of you, but one day is in 60* and the other is 100*, your Performance Condition could be +5 in the former and -5 in the latter, with zero change in how fit you are.

I did NOT know that. That would explain the swings I was getting let’s say Sunday early morning indoor rides versus Monday after work indoor rides.

rjones28 06-06-20 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21518632)
Can you loan it to Hummer so he can circumcise his steerer??

He could just use one of his fancy Japanese knives.

#prolly

rjones28 06-06-20 12:54 PM

Mrs. rjones28's Catrike is no longer Mrs. rjones28's Catrike.

datlas 06-06-20 01:00 PM

So I have a question. Maybe I should ask the marginal gains podcast gang, but I will start here. My suspicion is it doesn’t make much of a difference, but the question involves whether you should pedal downhill when going medium pace, say at 25MPH on a 3-4% downhill. I usually do soft pedal at maybe 50-100w, and I expect that gets me only 1 MPH faster than just coasting. It’s easy to calculate the gain/cost using an online calculator to estimate the aero benefits of coasting vs pedaling and the speed difference at coasting vs soft-pedaling. The harder part is figuring out if the modest power output “costs” anything from future output needed when the inevitable next climb starts.

Anyone have some evidence based answers?

bampilot06 06-06-20 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21518674)
So I have a question. Maybe I should ask the marginal gains podcast gang, but I will start here. My suspicion is it doesn’t make much of a difference, but the question involves whether you should pedal downhill when going medium pace, say at 25MPH on a 3-4% downhill. I usually do soft pedal at maybe 50-100w, and I expect that gets me only 1 MPH faster than just coasting. It’s easy to calculate the gain/cost using an online calculator to estimate the aero benefits of coasting vs pedaling and the speed difference at coasting vs soft-pedaling. The harder part is figuring out if the modest power output “costs” anything from future output needed when the inevitable next climb starts.

Whoooooooooooosh, anybody else hear that go over my head?

seedsbelize 06-06-20 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21518601)

And he takes his mask off to talk. Right up there with being clueless to the ubiquity of cameras.

seedsbelize 06-06-20 01:16 PM

It's a bike, datlas go out and enjoy yourself.

datlas 06-06-20 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21518695)
It's a bike, datlas go out and enjoy yourself.

Ok I can do that.

LesterOfPuppets 06-06-20 01:19 PM

IIRC, Heathpack's coach told her to pedal on moderate downhills like that.

seedsbelize 06-06-20 01:22 PM

I just got in from a two wheeled standing water tour of the village. 4? 5? km. On my newish to me beater bike. A much too small framed hybrid, which gives a very nice ride. For this particular ride, it was good to know I could quickly get both feet down, if need be. Toe strike is an issue, but soonish I will be healthy enough to not be concerned with crashing. Tomorrow morning I hope to go to senior hour at the grocery store.

Velo Vol 06-06-20 01:23 PM

Zero science to this answer but my habit is that once you're at 25 mph downhill mostly rest until you're near the bottom.

bampilot06 06-06-20 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21518713)
Zero science to this answer but my habit is that once you're at 25 mph downhill mostly rest until you're near the bottom.

sounds legit.

Velo Vol 06-06-20 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21518689)
And he takes his mask off to talk. Right up there with being clueless to the ubiquity of cameras.

I think he's used to being on camera when out in public.

seedsbelize 06-06-20 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21518713)

Many many years ago I overheard the advice to pedal in those instances, for the gyro action, resulting in better balance. The receiver of the advice was a young inexperienced rider soon setting out on a cross country tour.

seedsbelize 06-06-20 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21518721)
I think he's used to being on camera when out in public.

Thus he takes his mask off to talk? Why of course! What was I thinking?

Edit: I realize that Americans have little experience in mask etiquette. We've been wearing them for six weeks, when away from home. And in the home, if there is a visitor