Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

LesterOfPuppets 10-31-21 10:31 PM

I sure look forward to it getting a little cooler here. I'm tired of looking at everyone's rattlesnake pics on Strava, especially after hearing one in a grassy area on a ride the other day. They're bad enough when you can see them, but one in the tall grass really gives me the willies.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8cad7f9acf.jpg

gnome 11-01-21 01:54 AM

Went for a nice tramp (hike) on the weekend. nice easy track although the wind was a little vigorous and lazy. 13km on day one, 17.5km on day two. about 650m height gain each day. Nice hut to stay at. Good company. I'm sure I'm fatter than when I started though. We started with G&Ts and pre dinner snacks. There there was a nice Barossa Shiraz between the snacks and the main. Then dessert, then mulled wine and chocolate to finish. Our packs were a lot lighter on the walk out today.

MoAlpha 11-01-21 04:06 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22290871)
Try PB Blaster. May take several shots of it over a few days. Be careful if you drink from the tank. May have to give it a good flush if you do.

who does aluminum caps on those things? Is it a weight weenie race boat? 😜. Ours were stainless.

Definite weight weenie boat: Only weighs 17,000 lbs! Tanks get rinsed in the spring.

ls01 11-01-21 04:32 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22290623)
I can't say that it was 100% fun, though. I have been having issues with my toes going numb ever since I got the Lake shoes.

This was the longest ride I've done in them, and the numbness transitioned into pain under the ball of my foot. Feelings of numbness and pain increased as power increased.

Could this be an insole issue? My cleats are all the way back as I've been doing for a while, so there's no real room for adjustment there. Numbness seems to be independent of BOA/Velcro tension.

​​​​​

​​​​​

Try some Specialized foot beds. They worked awesome for me, had the same issue.

datlas 11-01-21 05:32 AM

Feels like a Monday in November. Chilly and dark, with a sense of impending winter weather. :notamused:

indyfabz 11-01-21 05:37 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22291053)
I sure look forward to it getting a little cooler here. I'm tired of looking at everyone's rattlesnake pics on Strava, especially after hearing one in a grassy area on a ride the other day. They're bad enough when you can see them, but one in the tall grass really gives me the willies.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8cad7f9acf.jpg

Near the southern end of the Mickelson Trail there is a sign warning riders to stay out of the grass along the trail because of rattlesnakes.

Mojo31 11-01-21 06:17 AM

A guy I worked with a long time ago would give soft drinks to the kids and beers to their parents. That's how you do it!

Mojo31 11-01-21 06:21 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22291053)
I sure look forward to it getting a little cooler here. I'm tired of looking at everyone's rattlesnake pics on Strava, especially after hearing one in a grassy area on a ride the other day. They're bad enough when you can see them, but one in the tall grass really gives me the willies.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8cad7f9acf.jpg

What do you do when they are in the middle of your path?

Trsnrtr 11-01-21 06:39 AM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22290857)
If you're on a tandem, be aware of a hilly area near Grady road. See link below.
https://www.silvercometga.com/silver...et-grady.shtml

Thanks for the info. We are on singles this trip.

seedsbelize2 11-01-21 06:44 AM

I had a mid-ride coke yesterday. First coke in a couple years. It was good. I sat next to a party of 20 bikers(Harleys) and there was a coke for every one. The national drink.

WhyFi 11-01-21 06:45 AM

We did not have trick-or-treaters, we were trick-or-treaters. The kids went out with their cousins, many of whom we've only seen once, if at all, in the last couple of years. It's amazing how much kids grow up in that amount of time if you're not seein' them very often. The neighborhood that we go to has a pretty high density of homes that do it right, though the decorations and sound system at one house scared the little girl, which made her decide that she'd had enough and wanted to go back to the house.

The most grisly part of the night, though, was trying not to peek at the wretched Vikings game, which went about as I'd expected. Goodness, I wish Cousins hadn't been all heroic the last two games, pulling out wins that weren't deserved; if not for that, we might have some new coaching staff.

Velo Vol 11-01-21 07:14 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22291053)
I sure look forward to it getting a little cooler here. I'm tired of looking at everyone's rattlesnake pics on Strava, especially after hearing one in a grassy area on a ride the other day. They're bad enough when you can see them, but one in the tall grass really gives me the willies.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8cad7f9acf.jpg

Trolls gonna troll.

seedsbelize2 11-01-21 07:50 AM

Economies of scale. A young man from another village, who was our gardener one day a week for awhile, recently scored a full time job at a lumber yard at minimum wage. Six 12s, for US$40/week.
I think about this as I take half a day yesterday and half a day today to recover from my ride yesterday. Granted, I have 50 years on him.

LAJ 11-01-21 07:51 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22291184)
A guy I worked with a long time ago would give soft drinks to the kids and beers to their parents. That's how you do it!

Doing it right, indeed!

That sounds sort of like Guy Fawkes Day over in the Olde Country.

indyfabz 11-01-21 07:51 AM

Ugh. Six hit in Texas. From the logo, that looks like an Adventure Cycling Association van and trailer. I do believe their supported Southern Tier trip is this time of year.

6 cyclists hit by car, injured while participating in annual ride from California to Florida - ABC11 Raleigh-Durham

LAJ 11-01-21 07:53 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22291203)
We did not have trick-or-treaters, we were trick-or-treaters. The kids went out with their cousins, many of whom we've only seen once, if at all, in the last couple of years. It's amazing how much kids grow up in that amount of time if you're not seein' them very often. The neighborhood that we go to has a pretty high density of homes that do it right, though the decorations and sound system at one house scared the little girl, which made her decide that she'd had enough and wanted to go back to the house.

The most grisly part of the night, though, was trying not to peek at the wretched Vikings game, which went about as I'd expected. Goodness, I wish Cousins hadn't been all heroic the last two games, pulling out wins that weren't deserved; if not for that, we might have some new coaching staff.

That makes it fun when folks get into it.

The Broncos tried so hard to lose the game, it makes me wonder if the players themselves want the coaching staff gone. The last 45 seconds of the game, truly was horrifying.

rjones28 11-01-21 07:56 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22291278)
Ugh. Six hit in Texas. From the logo, that looks like an Adventure Cycling Association van and trailer. I do believe their supported Southern Tier trip is this time of year.

6 cyclists hit by car, injured while participating in annual ride from California to Florida - ABC11 Raleigh-Durham

:(

Velo Vol 11-01-21 08:12 AM

This is how you do it.


Velo Vol 11-01-21 08:37 AM

genejockey we could have done this.


rjones28 11-01-21 08:37 AM

Wrong kind of bikes.

big john 11-01-21 09:22 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22291023)
I've heard that horses eat apples.

15 Fruits and Vegetables Horses Love to Eat - Helpful Horse Hints

Hypothetically.

I fed a friend's horse a few times while she was away. She said to give him bran as a treat. He gobbled that stuff up!

BillyD 11-01-21 09:23 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22290846)
I asked my tour director and she said that we won’t be getting that far to the east. We have to be home by Thursday night so she’s wanting to ride near the west end.

:lol:

BillyD 11-01-21 09:33 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22290935)
Exactly zero trick or treaters.

Same, I live on a street too dangerous for grownups in daylight, much less kids after dark. (traffic)

I miss the trick or treaters. Didn't even attend the local parade today, football took priority. :(

big john 11-01-21 09:35 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22291189)
What do you do when they are in the middle of your path?

I don't get too close. I usually toss a rock behind them to startle them into moving, if they aren't moving already. This usually works but the last time the snake turned around furiously and was ready to strike. I'm glad I wasn't closer.
We had them in the yard where I used to live. We shared a driveway with the house next door, which is where the landlord lived. One afternoon he saw one under his van so he started shooting at it with his .22 with snakeloads. The sound echoing through that canyon was quite loud.

Another time there was a partially flattened rattler in the driveway and the cat went after it. I yelled at him "NO" and he stopped. He killed some other snakes and left them on the doormat and one time a snake bit him on the nose. He still has the scar from that.

My friend lost his cat to a rattler. The cat killed the rattler but I guess the snake bit him, too.

Around here there are classes for dogs to teach them to avoid snakes.

BillyD 11-01-21 09:37 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22290995)

No Hershey's? :crash:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.