Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Totally Tubular (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=154679)

seedsbelize 02-27-21 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 21944072)
sshhhhhhssssh...... this is the big secret: they really are not that hard and from what I read in the mechanics section a ton less difficult than tubeless (i have no tubeless hands on experience) need to keep the mystique of tubies to the cognoscenti :)

How are you liking those Challenge Elite?

squirtdad 03-01-21 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21944618)
How are you liking those Challenge Elite?

so far so good, but not a lot of miles. the combination of those tires and mavic 330 rims (on edge of being too light for me) and the 84 miyata is the best riding bike I have had

am putting more miles on the Vittoria Corsa Control G+ on other bike (fit 30mm even though the 5800 105 brakes said 28 mm max.)

xiaoman1 03-01-21 10:17 PM

Hello,
I am still looking for a close match to this tubular, I have had some leads but nothing has panned out so far....I want to run it on my Bianchi KRONO and I need it in a 700cx22. i am hoping that there is at least one out there somewhere...decent condition is alright...I would even consider a clincher. Orange with Tan sidewall...
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0216bbd0ef.jpg
looking for a 700cx22
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...23d792264e.jpg
I need a rear 700 to put on this.

Any help much appreciated PM only, please.:thumb:
Best, Ben

woodcraft 03-02-21 12:32 AM

On the way to an appointment this morning, I realized I had not brought pack with spare, etc., & thought well I never get flats anyway.

Almost 1.5 miles out, got a puncture, turned around & rode back on the flat tire. The appointment got rescheduled for an hour later, & I put on another wheel

The tire seems OK except for the puncture- 30mm Schwalbe.

Vince Hoffmann 03-07-21 06:56 PM

I got a puncture in my Gatorskin tubular yesterday, it was a bear peeling it off but using tire levers helped immensely. I put on my spare Vittoria and managed to pump it up to 90 pounds and got to a local bike shop and gave it extra pressure to 140 and it happily took me the 25 miles back home!

After 5 years, that was my first puncture and having to change my tire on the road. It wasn't too bad. I can't say clinchers are any easier because you still have to pry the bead out of the rim and some tires can really be hard to get off. I think the hardest part is getting the tire up to pressure as my pump could only go up to 90 before my arms gave out!

I've heard that you can accidently roll the tire off the rim going around corners, but I had no trouble with the spare for the rest of the day.

scozim 03-08-21 11:21 PM

Stumbled across this pristine NOS Vittoria Trofeo 250. Would love to find something similar to match. Otherwise it may end up as a spare, which could be better anyway
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6040bf54cc.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e8a6c96dfd.jpg

gkamieneski 03-11-21 09:11 AM

GL330 Comparable Rims

I use a 32h GL330 front with a 32h Reflex rear. I'm pretty sure I will be able to find a replacement rim for the rear when I should need one, but I don't see any shallow box section rims that would be around the same ERD as the GL330 if I had to do a lace-over.

Anyone find something comparable to the Mavic GL330?

SJX426 03-11-21 10:21 AM

[MENTION=394724]gkamieneski[/MENTION] - there are a lot of GL330's on the bay. Some with reasonable prices. Although, many are 36 hole.

gkamieneski 03-11-21 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by SJX426 (Post 21962360)
[MENTION=394724]gkamieneski[/MENTION] - there are a lot of GL330's on the bay. Some with reasonable prices. Although, many are 36 hole.

No. Really nothing there for 32h. What there is charges exorbitant shipping. I was hoping someone has found another rim that is comparable. I believe Ambrosios are long gone. Most tubular rims are now made of carbon.

SJX426 03-11-21 12:28 PM

@gkamieneski - Checked my stock. No spare GL330 in 32h and the NISI and GP4's are all 36h. Sorry.

gkamieneski 03-11-21 07:30 PM

Clearly Ambrosio would have a market if they decided to make their Nemesis rim again.

Classtime 03-11-21 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by gkamieneski (Post 21963346)
Clearly Ambrosio would have a market if they decided to make their Nemesis rim again.

Cerchio bici: Ambrosio Nemesis - Ambrosio Wheels
you are in luck. Finding a dealer has always been an effort.

gkamieneski 03-11-21 08:30 PM

Thanks. I saw that, but I wasn't sure they were actually selling them. Found no vendors.

Lazyass 03-13-21 08:56 AM

FWIW, BWW still has at least one set of their Ultegra 6700 tubulars on clearance if someone is looking to build up a bike with modern stuff. I've had a set for two years and they're flawless, I haven't had to turn a spoke nipple. The rims are the best tubular rims I've ever had and the decals peel off if you don't like them. They say the hubs are "dark silver" but they're the regular silver hubs. DT Swiss Comp butted spokes. With the discount code 10Now they're only $170.51. The hubs are probably worth close to that. I'm tempted to buy a spare set.

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Cl...ar-wheels.html

https://i.postimg.cc/JnpWCR1Q/014.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/5t1RpDwq/20200107-143909.jpg

DiabloScott 03-13-21 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lazyass (Post 21965266)

Nice spare fold!

gkamieneski 03-13-21 03:28 PM

Guess they only sell built wheels, not rims?

Lazyass 03-13-21 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by gkamieneski (Post 21965768)
Guess they only sell built wheels, not rims?

Man, they used to but I don't see them on the site now. I remember they were only $39.99 because I was thinking about using them to build up some vintage hubs. You could contact them and see. The rims are nice, very stiff. They look like the Velocity Major Tom rims.

gkamieneski 03-16-21 11:34 AM

Pressures for Sewups

There are many threads discussing tire pressure, mostly suggesting that lower pressure is better, but I think these are mainly referencing clincher or tubeless.

What about tubular tires? Conti Sprinters are rated to 170psi, but surely riders are not pumping them that high? I thought one of the sewup's biggest advantage was lower pressures and pinch flat avoidance.

I use my 25c clinchers at 85psi/90psi f/r. Haven't been on sewups for years but can't imagine using those high pressures on the sidewalls.

scozim 03-16-21 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by gkamieneski (Post 21970269)
There are many threads discussing tire pressure, mostly suggesting that lower pressure is better, but I think these are mainly referencing clincher or tubeless.

What about tubular tires? Conti Sprinters are rated to 170psi, but surely riders are not pumping them that high? I thought one of the sewup's biggest advantage was lower pressures and pinch flat avoidance.

I use my 25c clinchers at 85psi/90psi f/r. Haven't been on sewups for years but can't imagine using those high pressures on the sidewalls.

I have my Sprinters between 115 and 120 psi. They ride super nice. The max I have had them was 130 for a hill climb race - not that I needed to. In fact, my clinchers are usually 110-120 psi. Just always have so I don't change it. Cheap tubulars I'll run between 105-110 psi

semroc 03-17-21 08:59 AM

After I read where Boonen, and Chavanel were running 59 in front and 62 in the back for Roubaix. I've lowered my pressures down to 75 on all my tubulars. They ride real comfy.

woodcraft 03-17-21 11:13 AM

I run 23/25mm F/R Sprinters at 70/75.

squirtdad 03-17-21 01:03 PM

I am running 30mm Vittoria Corsa Controls at 100R/95F I am 250. works well (miyata Team 85, Mavic rim don't remember which one at the moment

I am running 25 mm challenge elite at 130. this is on a 84 Team miyata. the rims are mavic gel330 which are on the light side for my weight. this is the best ride of any bike I have had.

I do think people don't factor in the the impact of the rim and wheel build on overall ride

Chubby715 03-17-21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vince Hoffmann (Post 21956760)
I got a puncture in my Gatorskin tubular yesterday, it was a bear peeling it off but using tire levers helped immensely. I put on my spare Vittoria and managed to pump it up to 90 pounds and got to a local bike shop and gave it extra pressure to 140 and it happily took me the 25 miles back home!

After 5 years, that was my first puncture and having to change my tire on the road. It wasn't too bad. I can't say clinchers are any easier because you still have to pry the bead out of the rim and some tires can really be hard to get off. I think the hardest part is getting the tire up to pressure as my pump could only go up to 90 before my arms gave out!

I've heard that you can accidently roll the tire off the rim going around corners, but I had no trouble with the spare for the rest of the day.

I blew out both of my Gatorskins (rear and front) within 2 weeks last Sept. They were glued on very well and were a b***ch to peel off, so it took awhile to remove. I always carry a pre-stretched Sprinter as a spare, so pump it up as best I can and then take extra care on the corners until I get home where I can do a proper glue job in my garage. I also added a razor blade to my saddle bag in case I ever need to cut the flat off my rim for faster removal.

Classtime 03-17-21 06:45 PM

At 155 lbs., I'm back to 100-110 on my 23mm Tubulars (and 110 clinchers). I just patched a 23 Corsa G that I pinch flatted at 90. But I am often careless on my regular routes and hit stuff. I will add that Corsas are a joy to patch while Rallys are no fun.

CV-6 03-17-21 10:32 PM

A tip that applies to the use of tape and glue. Leave the space between two spokes directly opposite the valve free of tape/glue. It gives you a starting point for removal. Also consider having tire iron for leverage.