Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

clubman 05-27-22 11:17 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 22521896)
I was thinking the exact thing!
We used to pedal like crazy to try to impress the girls...
It was exhausting!

Impressing girls was, and shall always be, exhausting. :)

Salubrious 05-27-22 11:41 AM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 22521911)
Impressing girls was, and shall always be, exhausting. :)

I find it better instead the other way 'round- to be impressed with the girl; somehow that seems to work out better. Helps if she does not mind riding a fine British steel bike.

gster 05-27-22 12:12 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 22521911)
Impressing girls was, and shall always be, exhausting. :)

Indeed..
and expensive!

Tyres 05-27-22 01:14 PM

Sugar coated cinnamon doughnuts.
 

Originally Posted by gster (Post 22521986)
Indeed..
and expensive!

​​​​​​xrated talking computer and that cross room voice thrower? Ahh youth..

markk900 05-27-22 01:19 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 22521911)
Impressing girls was, and shall always be, exhausting. :)

Especially since, unbeknownst to us at the time, the girls couldn't care less how fast we pedalled.....

thumpism 05-27-22 06:25 PM

Ad does not specify which one is for sale, $150 in NY. Mine matches the middle one.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...25164758020641

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...Tg&oe=62962CB7

gster 05-28-22 08:29 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a20f4522a3.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...69b06d1337.jpg

52telecaster 05-28-22 09:22 AM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 22521938)
I find it better instead the other way 'round- to be impressed with the girl; somehow that seems to work out better. Helps if she does not mind riding a fine British steel bike.

I Think you cracked the code there. Although mine rides a Japanese bike.

Commando 05-29-22 08:09 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 22521805)
The Ontario Science Centre had a popular interactive room to test all sorts of things, one of them being a pedal powered incandescent light bulb. It was astonishing how difficult it was to keep the bulb lit. I'm sure there's more modern and efficient generators as well as our low power LED lights but it would still be a serious amount of work to say, light a house during an outage.

Interesting relevance to the thread. When my Superbe arrived in Australia after moving from Toronto, I discovered the front Dynohub had rusted solid, I guess water had got in it while in storage for a few years after I left. I went around to some 'Mens Sheds' that do up old bicycles and asked about spares. They told me they were tough to find because many farmers would modify SA Dynohubs to generate power from small windmills for lighting outbuildings and as back up during power failures,

Tyres 05-30-22 08:36 AM


Originally Posted by Commando (Post 22524406)
Interesting relevance to the thread. When my Superbe arrived in Australia after moving from Toronto, I discovered the front Dynohub had rusted solid, I guess water had got in it while in storage for a few years after I left. I went around to some 'Mens Sheds' that do up old bicycles and asked about spares. They told me they were tough to find because many farmers would modify SA Dynohubs to generate power from small windmills for lighting outbuildings and as back up during power failures,

l was intrigued by the idea of men's sheds after having seen a program about them on the tube. In a way this thread is similar in that it's a group of predominantly guys of a certain age sharing a love of fixing and repairing in our case bicycles. I'm glad l found this site during the pandemic cause it kept me engaged and informed and helped me with my recently acquired fleet.

Tyres 05-30-22 09:47 AM

TRILLIUM Uprising!!
 

Originally Posted by bikamper (Post 22509008)
I had to miss it this year, but are you sure it was trading notes and not trading flasks at the top of Bay City Hill. ;)

Up here in Ontario the Trillium is the official flower, in early spring as the snows recede and the woods are still wet and black, there comes the uprising when thousands of trilliums burst forth and the forest floors are scattered with bright white fragile flowers, they seem overly bright white comparable to the bright blue white of our modern LED lights.They're only here for a short time, then they wither and change to that early pre-war maroon and just like that, they're gone for another year.

gster 05-30-22 10:36 AM

Listed on Kijiji here today in Toronto
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2483a5d55f.jpg
Listed as a 1970 CCM Continental @ $200.00
Not a bad price considering the Dynohub rear hub, pump and what appears to be
overall good condition.

poetman 05-31-22 09:31 AM

I was tuning up the three-speeds for another riding season and noticed that my wife's Rudge Sports rear wheel axe has a stripped nut. Does anyone know what size nut to purchase for replacement? TWO bike shops in my area that specialized in vintage closed over the last year, three LBS had no idea, and none of the bolts at Lowe's fit the nut. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Salubrious 05-31-22 10:31 AM


Originally Posted by poetman (Post 22525936)
I was tuning up the three-speeds for another riding season and noticed that my wife's Rudge Sports rear wheel axe has a stripped nut. Does anyone know what size nut to purchase for replacement? TWO bike shops in my area that specialized in vintage closed over the last year, three LBS had no idea, and none of the bolts at Lowe's fit the nut. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

You won't find such a nut at a hardware store!
You'll likely have to go online to find one. Here's an example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/29488284186...3ABFBMgPujr6Ng

poetman 05-31-22 10:46 AM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 22526013)
You won't find such a nut at a hardware store!
You'll likely have to go online to find one. Here's an example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/29488284186...3ABFBMgPujr6Ng

Why wouldn't I be able to find a nut at a hardware store? I do not need the hub size, just the standard looking nut. Is there a way to search for the size/thread?

Salubrious 05-31-22 10:53 AM


Originally Posted by poetman (Post 22526043)
Why wouldn't I be able to find a nut at a hardware store? I do not need the hub size, just the standard looking nut. Is there a way to search for the size/thread?

You won't find it because its not a regular "English" thread. Its a British thread; I don't recall which but I think its a Whitworth- the nut size is Whitworth anyway. more:
https://www.boltscience.com/pages/screw4.htm

gster 05-31-22 10:54 AM


Originally Posted by poetman (Post 22526043)
Why wouldn't I be able to find a nut at a hardware store? I do not need the hub size, just the standard looking nut. Is there a way to search for the size/thread?

The nuts (and everything else) is proprietary to Raleigh.
It's a non standard thread pitch.
The nuts are also softer than the axle to avoid stripping the axle itself.

nlerner 05-31-22 10:55 AM


Originally Posted by poetman (Post 22526043)
Why wouldn't I be able to find a nut at a hardware store? I do not need the hub size, just the standard looking nut. Is there a way to search for the size/thread?

I googled it: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/st...thread.189732/

13/32 and 26 tpi

gster 05-31-22 10:59 AM

That Ebay price is quite reasonable.
I just stripped one last week.
I always tell someone who's just bought an old british bike,
don't throw anything away!
Amazon Canada
https://www.amazon.ca/3-speed-Sturme...s%2C86&sr=8-26
or this
https://www.amazon.ca/Sturmey-Archer...s%2C86&sr=8-53

poetman 05-31-22 12:13 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 22526073)
That Ebay price is quite reasonable.
I just stripped one last week.
I always tell someone who's just bought an old british bike,
don't throw anything away!
Amazon Canada
https://www.amazon.ca/3-speed-Sturme...s%2C86&sr=8-26
or this
https://www.amazon.ca/Sturmey-Archer...s%2C86&sr=8-53

I haven't planned on throwing anything away but am curious why you mention that here.

gster 05-31-22 12:43 PM


Originally Posted by poetman (Post 22526171)
I haven't planned on throwing anything away but am curious why you mention that here.

Well....
A lot of people assume that they can easily
replace rusty nuts and bolts on their vintage British bicycles
with a quick trip to the hardware store. I did.
Even the original ribbed cable housings are worth recycling.
It would be a shame to have a project stall waiting on
a 10 cent fender bolt

Tyres 05-31-22 01:40 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 22524855)
Listed on Kijiji here today in Toronto
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2483a5d55f.jpg
Listed as a 1970 CCM Continental @ $200.00
Not a bad price considering the Dynohub rear hub, pump and what appears to be
overall good condition.

That' s a nice CCM, my first "collector" bike was a 41 Cleveland CCM motorbike.
OK, something's come up.I've been plagued by this incessant white noise for months and it's cause has finally registered with me. Turns out it was my wife going on and on infinitum about finally being able to go back home to visit her family to eat lobster and drink Keith's (yes she'll be down your way Clubman) . I won't be joining her this trip as l'll be cottage bound.
We own 2 old 3 bdrm. house/cottage/cabins on the Crowe River, opposite the Callaghan Rapids Conservation Area.Google it. We're two towns from Tweed Ont. There are 2 railway trails intersected by the road in from the highway, small country roads through woods and fields and destinations like the Trent canal CHURCHKEY brewery etc.
I'll be going up sat. staying until tues wed.lf any of you gta area 3 speeders want a weekend excursion, l could use the company.l guess l'm thinking of maybe hosting a 3 spd ride, using my place as a base and l'd like some input and opinions .For this weekend l can promise bbq's, bicycle rides and beer if you bring it.
There's 8 queens 2 singles extras couches hammocks etc.Bring your own consumables and l'll provide the cookers and coolers (fridges).over the fire we can reminisce on the Toronto of our yout and 3 speeds. As for bikes bring your fave or a comfortable saddle, I've got 3 working 3 speeds and a few coasters and a 10 spd or two 1st come.... tell me what you think, and reply with any interest. Keith

gna 05-31-22 01:48 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 22526061)

The originals are the best, but there are new ones available that will work:
https://www.performancebike.com/stur...100.bx/p315643

clubman 05-31-22 02:00 PM


Originally Posted by Tyres (Post 22526300)
...my wife going on and on infinitum about finally being able to go back home to visit her family to eat lobster and drink Keith's

Comfort food for a Bluenoser! I love the idea about the cottage and some 3 speeds. Maybe another time.

gna 05-31-22 02:03 PM

Not really an English 3-speed, but it does have a Sturmey-Archer AW hub:
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...58c4123033.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...42ad8e28a2.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...82994efc99.jpg

Someone gave it to me. They found it cleaning out a storage locker, and they knew I liked "old junk." 64 9 SA hub. Serial indicates built in 1965. Fresh grease in the hubs, oil in the SA hub, oiled chain, newer brake pads. Trued wheels a bit. Works just fine. Found it a home already.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.