Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

indyfabz 04-03-20 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21398243)
Hot. King hubs to match the headset?

Got the headset to match the hubs. The wheels were swapped over from my IF, which had 10 speed SRAM Force. Had to get an adapter to make the rear 11 speed compatible. When the wheels were originally built the same shop thatbuilt the frame sold me the CK hub set for the same price as the rear one retailed for.

I did Cycle Oregon in 2007. Chris King and a small entourage travelled with the tour. I never saw him ride, but he did like to hang around in camp in the evening with his flock, hold cour and drink coffee.

Bah Humbug 04-03-20 10:43 AM

Can we please take the masks talk to the Covid forum? Because what I’d like to say is far too political for this thread, but clearly it’s not just being dropped despite getting tempers up.

LAJ 04-03-20 10:45 AM

I'm not mad.

seedsbelize 04-03-20 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21398455)
You must be new here.*

* see bar tape episode

Yes, I am new here. Too new for that one.

LAJ 04-03-20 10:49 AM

That Cervelo Aspero is a nice looking bike for a grinder.

Bah Humbug 04-03-20 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21398726)

Those colors...

I do like that the geometry is nice and low compared to most, but I’d never be happy looking at any of them in the stable.

big john 04-03-20 10:52 AM

If I asked about lower gearing and I got 100 replies I would be surprised. I had no idea there was that much to know about lower gearing.

seedsbelize 04-03-20 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21398556)
My 6600 bike has done that on both shifters. I don't ride it very often and I have tried WD-40 but it gets gummy in there after the bike sits in cooler weather. The last time I used silicone spray lube and the shifters worked great after that. Turn the bike upside down and spray into the shifter at the base of the lever.

But then you have to bleed the brakes

WhyFi 04-03-20 10:55 AM

Excel sent out an email and now I want a Cervelo Aspero.

seedsbelize 04-03-20 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21398595)
Bill Withers RIP

Bill Wirhers? Wow! Sad!

WhyFi 04-03-20 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21398726)

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398746)

Lol - I hadn't refreshed, so I didn't see your comment before making mine. The gold one... hnnnng.

WhyFi 04-03-20 11:00 AM

And I hadn't realized that GRX wasn't just a groupset, but a line of groupsets. They have 105 and Ultegra level now? :foo:

big john 04-03-20 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21398741)
But then you have to bleed the brakes

Into every life a little rain must fall.

Bah Humbug 04-03-20 11:01 AM

Also it’s funny, because I think when I first registered here roadies viewed Cervelo with scorn as a tri-geek brand. I certainly don’t remember this much glowing talk about them back then.

MoAlpha 04-03-20 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398655)
Wait - high HRV is a sign of stress? Or bigger swings in HRV is a sign of stress? I was under the impression that higher HRV was healthier.

When you're saying increases and decreases, you're talking relative to your baseline? Like bad stressors will send you below your baseline and good above it? :foo:

Stress is a general term denoting the influence of things, both good (exercise) and bad (sleep disruption), which disturb homeostasis, or the tendency of the system to dwell at, or return to, a particular set point.

As a homeostatic marker, i.e. an indication of what that set point is, more HRV is better because it indicates greater activity of the parasympathetic nervous system relative to sympathetic.

However, as a marker of acute perturbations, i.e., stress, good or bad, it's more complicated. Any swing away from the previous set point is indicative of stress and the system can swing in either direction. As a rule, bad stress causes an acute increase. Good stress, however seems to be able to push HRV in either direction, or at least that's my understanding, not having gone back to the original literature on "good" stress. In vague terms, I think the direction of change after exercise is an indication of how the body is "handling" stress and higher means it's reacting in a healthier way because of increased reserve. That seems to fit with my experience.

A higher day to day variance, measured in my app as the running 7-day coefficient of variation, implies stress because it means the system is being perturbed by some input.

Make sense?

I will look up acute HRV increases in response to exercise and see if there's anything interesting there.

Bah Humbug 04-03-20 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398754)
And I hadn't realized that GRX wasn't just a groupset, but a line of groupsets. They have 105 and Ultegra level now? :foo:

I’m still surprised it’s a whole groupset - seems like an RD and maybe a bit else would be enough. I suppose there are people who would feel it wasn’t taken seriously then though.

MoAlpha 04-03-20 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21398757)
Also it’s funny, because I think when I first registered here roadies viewed Cervelo with scorn as a tri-geek brand. I certainly don’t remember this much glowing talk about them back then.

I love my bike, but I have nothing else to compare it to. I got it because it was a smoking deal and fit me. Someday, maybe I'll ride some other soulless plastic bike and realize it's been ****e all this time.

WhyFi 04-03-20 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21398757)

I'm sure that your perspective is different, but I only recall scorn similar to... let's say - Rapha. Upscale without bells and whistles, so it must be fodder marketed towards poseurs and dentists, yadda, yadda.

WhyFi 04-03-20 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21398761)
Make sense?

Getting there!

seedsbelize 04-03-20 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 21398675)
Marbury played in China, lives in Beijing, and coaches a team there. He brokered the deal for 10 million masks at cost. He is not paying for them. Do you think Stephon Marbury would pay for 10 million masks at $2.75/mask?

Kraft was solicited by the governor to help. He sent the Patriots plane and (with some others apparently) paid for the masks. They would have brought more back, but the plane only fit 1.2 million. 300,000 of those are in New York this morning.

Facts are facts.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now you two shake hands.

WhyFi 04-03-20 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21398766)
I’m still surprised it’s a whole groupset - seems like an RD and maybe a bit else would be enough. I suppose there are people who would feel it wasn’t taken seriously then though.

Yeah, I would think that the clutched RD would be 95% of it. Maybe a chainring/crankset for 1x. I don't see the rest :foo:

WhyFi 04-03-20 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21398771)
I love my bike, but I have nothing else to compare it to. I got it because it was a smoking deal and fit me. Someday, maybe I'll ride some other soulless plastic bike and realize it's been ****e all this time.

Or you can just go in to the Greater 41 and wait for people to yell "Hambini!" at you.

LAJ 04-03-20 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398746)

I know, right?

Bah Humbug 04-03-20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398779)
I'm sure that your perspective is different, but I only recall scorn similar to... let's say - Rapha. Upscale without bells and whistles, so it must be fodder marketed towards poseurs and dentists, yadda, yadda.

I don't think I meant any more than that - it just was viewed overall negatively, and now it's flipped even though I think the current ones are less good for their time than the older ones were. Whereas people hardly talk about Felt now.

LAJ 04-03-20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21398733)
Those colors...

I do like that the geometry is nice and low compared to most, but I’d never be happy looking at any of them in the stable.

I could roll on that burgundy one.

sbxx1985 04-03-20 11:20 AM

The only bike emails I still get are from Excel.

Cervelos were so popular around here that they weren't cool. You were like everyone else. But then if you bought one, you understood what all the fuss was about. Occasionally awful paint jobs, terrible geometry at times, but really nice carbon at a good price.

Bah Humbug 04-03-20 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398787)
Yeah, I would think that the clutched RD would be 95% of it. Maybe a chainring/crankset for 1x. I don't see the rest :foo:

That and maybe a sub-compact crank and attendant FD, but... it doesn't need a chain, shifters, brakes, or generally the rest of that.

#butitsthefuture

seedsbelize 04-03-20 11:21 AM

It's a rare color I couldn't roll on, if the ride is nice enough. Pink, however.....in any shade

MoAlpha 04-03-20 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21398790)
Or you can just go in to the Greater 41 and wait for people to yell "Hambini!" at you.

Irrelevant until when and if it creaks, but it came with a Wheels Mfg screw-together BB to accommodate the Shimano crank (mystery upon mystery) so some of the risk has been mitigated.

What's at least as disturbing to me is that Australian guy with the video, posted somewhere here, on the idiotic, self-destructing, steering stop in the head tube of the top-end aero model.

I will say one other thing, as a boat guy I'm always interested in the unfinished side of composites, i.e., what the builder thinks you're not looking at. The guy who sold me the wheels had a couple of new R5 frames and I took a good look at the tubes and ran a finger around as best I could. Not knowing much about bikes, I would rate the work as pretty good.

sbxx1985 04-03-20 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21398786)
Thanks for clearing that up. Now you two shake hands.

I am uninvolved mostly.