Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Northeast (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   Metro Boston: Good ride today? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=518426)

Jim from Boston 07-07-09 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler (Post 9231217)
I hope y'all got out in this beeeyutiful weather! Rode singlespeed to W. Concord with my daughter during mid day. There was very little traffic and great tune up for our ride in the Prouty this weekend.

Hi SBP,

Thanks for that cheery greeting. Last Saturday, immediately after breaking a rear wheel spoke and loosening the spokes on either side of the broken one I went from Kenmore Square to Lexington, then Rte 225 out to Forge Village, to Ayer, then Rte 110 to Harvard, to Bolton and Rte 117 and Rte 20 back to Boston. I estimate that I had about 20 to 30 miles in Carlisle and beyond where the cyclists outnumbered the cars.

Harvard was such a nice town to pass through on the Fourth. They were doing it up right, including an antique car show. It was virtually a miracle that Saturday was such a gorgeous day, in particular considering the nasty thunderstorms occuring now.

Total mileage was about 75. One block from home my tire exploded because I had worn through my rim. The guys at my shop were impressed. It certainly would have been a ride-stopper way out west there. I'm glad it happened this week-end because I'm planning my Prouty surrogate century on July 11, as we discussed previously. I'm thinking of going northward to the Merrimack Valley region and back. It certainly will be less of a hassle to do, but the Prouty sounds like a memorable adventure. I look forward to your report.

BTW, I enjoyed the style of your preceding posts with dmann on your imaginary bike ride to Wachusetts. I would have added my two cents, but I was too breathless by your pace. :lol:

Sincerely,

James de Boston

sherbornpeddler 07-08-09 07:45 AM

Imaginary?

1. Dmann and I were on an imaginary ride?
2. How do you manage to "half full", wonderful 4th, bask in LBS compliments, coach a broken wheel through a 75 mile ride and dodge T storms. I'd have cursed the glass, complained my half-empty was smaller than your half-full and not known to loosen adjacent spokes.

Were you fuelled by New England roads, ingenuity, the Pops http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pzCoyhanEk ?

As was the case virtualizing Wachusett, tell us of your adjacent spoke strategy, your decision to press on and your rim falling like Phidippides approaching Athens?

Jim from Boston 07-08-09 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler (Post 9239253)
1. Dmann and I were on an imaginary ride?
2. How do you manage to "half full", wonderful 4th, bask in LBS compliments, coach a broken wheel through a 75 mile ride and dodge T storms. I'd have cursed the glass, complained my half-empty was smaller than your half-full and not known to loosen adjacent spokes.

Were you fuelled by New England roads, ingenuity, the Pops http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pzCoyhanEk ?

As was the case virtualizing Wachusett, tell us of your adjacent spoke strategy, your decision to press on and your rim falling like Phidippides approaching Athens?

Hi SBP,

Nice reply, great prose. No thunderstorms on the fourth as I recall; it was a miracle.

I actually broke my spoke on the way to a 24 hour CVS at 6AM to buy a cycle computer battery because the computer was acting up the day before and I thought the battery might be failing. I was out to do 75 miles according to my Century training schedule and I wanted to be as precise as possible (I'm very goal-oriented). After the spoke broke and the rim was significantly rubbing the brake I was concerned if my repair would hold up. I thought about just riding tight loops around town but that seemed too boring so I went way out west, with out any significant wobble after the quick fix.

I always carry a spoke wrench that fits the spoke nipples. All I did was gradually loosen the spokes on either side of the broken one, about a quarter to half turn each time, and checked the wheel postion relative to the brake pad until it centered pretty well with each revolution. The trick is to know which way to turn. The rule is "Righty tighty, lefty loosey" as you face the spokes with the bike in the upright position, but since I set it upside down to fix the wheel, the opposite directions apply.

I didn't notice any problem the entire ride and felt pretty good. I was slowly riding on the sidewalk of my block in Kenmore and the front tube suddenly exploded with a loud bang and I was riding on the rim with a collapsed tire. Fortunately I unclipped in time and shuddered to think how the bike would handle if I was zipping downhill. :eek: (There was a thread on this subject sometime ago. As I recall most correspondent said they were able to handle it OK.). There were some strips of metal protruding out of the rim and at first I thought the tire bead had worn through, but in fact they were shards from the edge of my rim. The shop is building me a new wheel and tuning my bike for this Saturday's century attempt.

Nonetheless, it was a glorious Fourth besides the bike ride. I walked through the teeming masses on the festive Esplanade that afternoon, and that night I watched the concert and fireworks on TV, while I could still hear the bombs bursting in air simultaneously in Kenmore Square.

Best wishes on the Prouty this Saturday. I had been invited to a dinner that Saturday by a colleague who has a summer home up there. :(

Jim

sherbornpeddler 07-12-09 06:04 PM

Gaahraate Ride Saturday. Daughter and I "stealth camped" nearby Friday night and rode to an 8AM start. Under threat of thunderstorms and rain (ever hear of the stuff?) and to assure a good time was had by all two of us we rode the 50 mile criss-crossing the river north of Hanover in the good company of enthusiastic riders, volunteers, perfect weather and magnificent views.

I strongly recommend this fundraiser ride as well organized, just beautiful views, cool NE towns, excellent, spacious roads, great sponsor food....and ice cream....and a friendly, crowded finish. The roads are very bicycle friendly and what little traffic there was, was well supervised. A great cause and great ride.

sherbornpeddler 07-16-09 07:59 PM

Wellelsey to Carlisle and beyond century tomorrow with a few friends.
Sunday I cast off one a three day road trial of a Raleigh Cadent 1 converted to a light tourer.

sherbornpeddler 07-20-09 06:57 PM

2 day cut short to 2 day because of tribal and cycle matters. Tiagra brifter on my Cadent 1 failed with shimano debris; a small, white tape jammed things up. Tribal matters weren’t so easily fixed and I left 11AM. Hot weather, my navigation around Worcester, Western MA hills, 20lbs of gear, bib shorts and my fitness do not make for my favorite combination. I slept soundly on a soft Amherst lawn in my Contrail tent. Today started and middled with hillllls north of Quabbin over to Princeton. Lots of road repair on Rt. 62. It will be nice and road crews are friendly and bicycle considerate. Sitting in the Princeton gazebo, I was a clothed, sagging version of a famous Rodin statue and contemplated Wachusett or a nap. The nap won. Seemed like it was downhill almost all the way to Sherborn. 165 loaded miles was a tough, beautiful ride.

beat.tk 07-21-09 11:28 AM

Great day for commuting in Cambridge-Somerville because EVERYWHERE SMELLS LIKE BACON.
You'd think the rain would diminish the hammy smell, but no.

sherbornpeddler 07-21-09 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by beat.tk (Post 9323091)
Great day for commuting in Cambridge-Somerville because EVERYWHERE SMELLS LIKE BACON.
You'd think the rain would diminish the hammy smell, but no.

You are right! Smells are a great part of riding. Terrific observation!

atom bomb 07-22-09 06:23 AM

scents

Hmmm, when I have ridden through Cambridge and Somerville it usually smells like laundry. But maybe it depends on time of day.

On Saturday, Needham smelled like manure.

ZIPP2001 07-25-09 07:07 PM

Had a fun ride out to Worcester airport today. Did all thre climbs up to the airport the out to rte. 70 around the resivior thru Clinton, Lancaster, Sterling, Leominster to my moms for a visit. Got in a total of 78 miles.

sherbornpeddler 07-26-09 09:54 PM

Zipp that is serious hill work! I went through Worcester last week on route to Amherst via Rt. 9. Not the greatest road in Worcester but pretty considerate urban drivers. A truck driver gave me the Sox score. Returning I stayed north of Quabbin to Princeton and angled south on Rt.140, crossed Rt.70 and mucked (aka rode around hills) north of Hopkington to Ashland.

ZIPP2001 07-27-09 03:05 PM

Hi SBP !

I've done Winchendon rte. 12 into Worcester to rte.9 into Belchertown to rte. 202 back to Winchendon which is a nice route that loops around the Quabbin. It's a nice route with great views. I like going thru Worcester and doing the airport for some reason, I climg the three different roads leading to the airport. My legs have been feeling pretty good lately so i've been doing more climbing. I'm going to be doing a ride out by your way in the next few weeks. I'm going rte. 202 to 119 to rte. 31 thru Mason NH., to rte. 101 over Temple Mt. I'll stay on rte. 101 toward Keene then hit rte. 12 to head back home to Winchendon. As the weather gets hotter I like to ride longer distances.

sherbornpeddler 07-27-09 03:30 PM

Wow! How long are your Belchertown and Temple rides? How long do these loops take you? Beautiful country. I lived in Mason years ago, major hills. You must fly into Peterborough.

ZIPP2001 07-29-09 06:19 AM

SBP

The Temple MT. route comes in at 87 miles, and the Beltchertown route is 121 miles. Both routes have plenty of rolling climbs, that make them pretty fun. The last time I did the Beltchertown route I was out for a little over 8 hours of total time, thats rest stop included. If the weather is nice this Saturday i'm going out to Worcester again to do the airport and maybe ride out toward Auburn for a bit.

bikinggrrrl 08-09-09 04:14 PM

mmmmmmm :).... had a couple of great rides through Harvard this past week.:thumb: Gosh I love those hills (especially on a tandem), even with the baby trailer. Have had to make a few adjustments to our rides with baby in tow: no more 50mph descents (although I'll allow 40), and no blowing around super tight corners at top speed.

sherbornpeddler 08-12-09 07:18 PM

I didn't notice laundry smells on route 16 and along the river to Cambridge and out via Minuteman and Concord Monday but did enjoy the ride.

Tuesday I found favorite roads in Wellesley (Weston Rd) and Lincoln (Baker Bridge Rd) are under much appreciated repair but Baker Bridge is impassible. I did "ride" it with police warning at 2-5 mph and kept one foot uncleated. The grader driver considerately stopped to make it easier for me to pass but I will avoid BB until September.

Jim from Boston 08-17-09 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler (Post 9474411)
...Tuesday I found favorite roads in Wellesley (Weston Rd) and Lincoln (Baker Bridge Rd) are under much appreciated repair but Baker Bridge is impassible. I did "ride" it with police warning at 2-5 mph and kept one foot uncleated. The grader driver considerately stopped to make it easier for me to pass but I will avoid BB until September.

Hi sbp,

Always enjoy reading about your rides out in the beautiful western sector. This Saturday I rode out to Walden Pond. Baker Bridge Road has been a favorite road of mine ever since moving to Boston, and with reluctance I avoided it on your recommendations, but you can't go wrong with any route out there. I stopped for a nice morning photo of a pastoral landscape at Sandy Pond and Codman Roads.

BTW, as a similar Public Service Announcement, I took Concord Ave outbound from Cambridge towards its end and then on to Trapelo. There is a pretty steep uphill out of Belmont Center and then a steep downhill on a terrible, bone-shaking road surface. I wanted to at least unclip my right pedal, but it was all I could do to hang on. Except for that it was a memorably serene ride on a Saturday AM before 7:00 AM.

Jim

beat.tk 08-17-09 05:06 PM

Ha

I live off of Concord and don't take it out that way, for those very reasons, unless I'm sure it's a low traffic time of day and my legs are real fresh like.
Belmont St is pretty fun imo.

Went out today when the mercury was saying 92, total slow fest, but I have that nice zapped buzzy feeling, so it's all good.

Jim from Boston 08-17-09 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by beat.tk (Post 9505171)
Ha

I live off of Concord and don't take it out that way, for those very reasons, unless I'm sure it's a low traffic time of day and my legs are real fresh like.
Belmont St is pretty fun imo...

Thanks for the reply and confirmation of my report. Next time I may do Belmont Rd. to Totten Pond and Winter St around the Reservoir on to Trapelo. Trapelo straight out from Belmont is nice too.

beat.tk 08-28-09 10:35 AM

So... yesterday, ride was real.
Real smelly.
Dump trucks, shellac, fertilizers, pesticide spray, skunks.
I guess if it's good weather to bike, it's good weather to shellac.
Quite honestly, the skunk scent was refreshing having just rode through a lawn chemical cloud.
Other than that, ride was fine. Everybody and their grandma out enjoying the day.
Did a 45 mile loop through Cambridge/Wilmington/Bedford.
Learned Burlington's not the best town to ride through.
Broken glass everywhere, cranky ladies yellin', those tire trap storm drains.

Where'd everybody else go yesterday?

G-money 08-28-09 04:20 PM

I have a hard time getting on the bike before 6:30 or so, but I managed to ride 50 miles total between evening rides on Tue, Wed and Thur. Gives me 90 for the week. I live in East Boston, and I either ride out to Deer Island (great sunset) or up Rivere Beach to Point of Pines (which has very few pines). I am bummed that the days are getting so dark so soon, but I am trying to get used to riding at night.

How late in the season does everyone ride in the Boston area?

atom bomb 10-19-09 04:38 PM

bruce freeman rail trail

Newton to Lowell and back today on the trike. 60 mi. Via Watertown, Belmont, Arlington, Minuteman, Bedford, Carlisle, Westford. I wanted to check out the first phase of the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail. Straight, flat, beautifully rural and covered with wet leaves and pine needles... so... good to be on three wheels. Nice path. The BFRT crosses some intersections in Chelmsford. I chose to stick to the path and use the ped signals. Sitting waiting for the "walk" and a pickup truck passes, beeps and I see the distinct silhouette of a bird being chucked in my direction. So I'm like, hey, "don't hate me because I'm beautiful".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8ul-gmLyA

sherbornpeddler 10-20-09 03:20 PM

Atom you da bomb! Pantene moments on a trike!
Great to hear from you!

I almost made it to BFRT today riding my crisp, pony like Serotta Fierte on an errand to Burlington and swung through Carlisle and Sudbury (because it was too nice a day not to) for a 71 mile loop.

Pavement notes: Rt. 126 in Concord is grated south of Rt 2 and the Walden esse turn) A section of Weston Rd south of Rt. 9 in Wellesley is also greatly ground.

dmann 10-21-09 11:12 PM

A nice 20 mile loop up and over the top of Sterling, onto the airport, no gliders up today :( Back home via Chase Hill, George Hill and Lancaster center. I was all smiles even after inhaling a pesudo lady bug beetle and dropping my water bottle :eek: I'm closing in on my mileage goal for my 1st year (April - Nov) of fitness riding.

bikinggrrrl 10-22-09 07:38 AM

SBP, I wish I had seen your note about 126 before yesterday's ride. Slowed us down quite a bit and opted to take 117 just to get off it. Nearly woke the sleeping baby in the trailer. Boy that sure will be sweet when they finish. Are these improvements part of stimulus $$?
Looks like they are going to work on Sudbury road in Concord between Route 2 and Verrill Farm too. Love love love it!