Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Northeast (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   Metro Boston: Good ride today? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=518426)

sherbornpeddler 10-22-09 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by bikinggrrrl (Post 9904229)
SBP, I wish I had seen your note about 126 before yesterday's ride. Slowed us down quite a bit and opted to take 117 just to get off it. Nearly woke the sleeping baby in the trailer. Boy that sure will be sweet when they finish. Are these improvements part of stimulus $$?
Looks like they are going to work on Sudbury road in Concord between Route 2 and Verrill Farm too. Love love love it!

BG, Good catch. That section north of the river, S of Rt. 2 badly needs repair for safety sake. I grab the road to pass the larger potholes and worry the sun blinds the eyes of southbound afternoon drivers. I don't have precious cargo either.

bikinggrrrl 10-25-09 02:36 PM

Sweet ride in and out of Harvard today. Many of the leaves were down but beautiful day anyway.

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/r...otos/bike2.jpg

sherbornpeddler 10-25-09 06:23 PM

Great! Nice photo. I rode similar neck of the woods out to Wachusett. My last century of the year?

sherbornpeddler 11-11-09 06:40 PM

The weather has been so spectacular, today I got in a November century. Not quite shirt sleeves and fewer leaves on the trees as in Bikinggrrrl's photo.

bikinggrrrl 11-12-09 06:21 AM

Nice to squeeze in one more this year, SBP! Good for you! Yes the weather has been delightful. Any day that isn't cold and raining in November is a gift.

Sudbury Road between Verrill Farm and Route 2 in Concord is paved. The 126 project seems to be lingering although I keep checking. Been getting pretty familiar with the Baker Bridge detour through Lincoln (past DeCordova) to get down to Sherman Bridge Road these days.

sherbornpeddler 11-12-09 10:35 PM

Coming from the south Sandy Pond to Baker is as smoooth as the Gropius House was cool. I head north over just a very little bit of ground grated escavated gyrated granulated pavement of Rt 126 before it becomes smoooth past Walden. Yeah, Sudbury Road is weird it is so smooth.

ZIPP2001 11-15-09 03:55 PM

What a nice day today. I was able to roll out a nice 40 mile ride thru Westminster, Fitchburg, Ashburnham, Winchendon area. The roads were nice and wet so the bike is covered in mud, but it was fun.

sherbornpeddler 11-17-09 06:53 PM

Sounds great Zipp.
I'm leafing tomorrow for a Carlisle or other metric C ride to admire bare trees. I cleaned my gutters and tonight was raking with a light. I'm not done but the yard looks good in the dark. Last month I actually liked looking at foliage.

I made a deciduous decision to ride another C Thursday so instead I'll ride the B. Freeman trail with friends.

atom bomb 11-19-09 06:29 AM

Over the River and Through the Woods

Rode Tuesday with some lunatics around Dover/Sherborn/Medfield/Holliston. Around 40 miles. Here's the movie:

QuickTime:

http://www.bufflehead.tv/scott_rich_tots.mov

mp4:

http://www.bufflehead.tv/scott.rich.tots.mp4

sherbornpeddler 11-19-09 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by atom bomb (Post 10051349)
Rode Tuesday with some lunatics around Dover/Sherborn/Medfield/Holliston. Around 40 miles. Here's the movie:

QuickTime:

http://www.bufflehead.tv/scott_rich_tots.mov

mp4:

http://www.bufflehead.tv/scott.rich.tots.mp4

AtomB,
First a new forum format, now I've got to install a quicktime or mp4 decoder. I'm being herded to the future.
If it were anyone else I wouldn't be so interested.

BTW, I rode the new Bruce Freeman trail to Lowell then Carlisle (Ferns is closed a few days a week during rennovations) and back to the southern end at 27 and 225.

ZIPP2001 11-19-09 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled my winter bike out (Cannondale Multi-Sport) for a 25 mile ride today. I spent the begining of the week breaking down my 2 zipp's, and will be building them back up over winter. Weather looks good for some weekend riding, and hopefully next week will be nice because i'm off most of the week.

atom bomb 11-19-09 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler (Post 10053718)
AtomB, First a new forum format, now I've got to install a quicktime or mp4 decoder. I'm being herded to the future.
If it were anyone else I wouldn't be so interested.

It's worth it... trust me.

BTW, I rode the new Bruce Freeman trail to Lowell then Carlisle (Ferns is closed a few days a week during rennovations) and back to the southern end at 27 and 225.
It's a nice trail, no? It'll be swell when it goes all the way to Framingham

sherbornpeddler 11-19-09 06:30 PM

AB,
I'm stressed. I haven't been able to open your movie! I downloaded quicktime but to no avail. Is it just me? Anyone else have problems?

sherbornpeddler 11-19-09 06:36 PM

OK, I right clicked, was a little more patient and the mp4 opened. I recognize those roads, that menu and at least one of those bents! I'll have to get my Goldrush on the road more often.

bikinggrrrl 11-20-09 10:46 AM

Awesome movie AtomBomb!:thumb:

sherbornpeddler 11-20-09 11:30 AM

I agree! Great flic! Wind, speed, cruising, gab, picking up a comrade and pizza are all spot on.

I specially liked the age-old balance between basic needs; a roof over our heads (the blue tarp) and our spiritual needs (riding a New England road on a crisp morning). Business, rake leaves, ride?

Eating is a basic need. The movie ends with pizza at Casey's so the clear message is we can have both. I'm going for a ride.

Nice flic!

bikinggrrrl 11-21-09 03:07 PM

Gorgeous day today. We pulled sleeping baby around the Carlisle/Concord/Lincoln/Sudbury loop. Plenty of other cyclists out enjoying this unusual November weather.
Notes: 126 from Walden Pond to Wayland still is not paved, but they are getting closer every day. I'm now used to the Baker Bridge detour and think I might stick with it even after 126 is clear.
SBP, Ferns reopened today after their renovation project. :beer:You can now buy a bottle of wine to go along with your yummy sandwich... 'couse I'm not sure how you'll bike home afterwards.

ZIPP2001 11-21-09 07:51 PM

Great day for a ride, I rode thru Leominster, Lunenburg, Ayer, Sherley, and Fitchburg for a nice 40 mile ride.

atom bomb 11-23-09 03:59 PM

50 miles - Newton to Dover and all around there and back. 30 of those miles w/ "sherbornpeddlar"! That faired/socked Gold Rush is one slippery banana! Let me tell you that during one blast of acceleration...stuff came flying off his bike! I was working v e r y h a r d to keep up. Oh but then I was wicked slowed down by a raisin/bran muffin. (And another thing people, if you are driving downhill on Wilsondale Road... and you see bikes in your rearview... please, please, move aside. Or speed up!)

After splitting off from shrbrnpddlr... I limped back to Newton. Whew!

sherbornpeddler 11-23-09 06:48 PM

Hah! A great time. I was more impressed seeing Atom Bomb's Javelin carving back roads than the new Tesla that passed earlier.

You know those special roads with just the right amount of swooping ups and narrow, tree lined down hills you just have to accelerate through; kind of like flying? Anticipation of Wilsondale was even greater because long wheel base recumbents are the ultimate hill carvers and we were riding a pretty good clip.

It was funny; I regularly grumble about impatient cars passing too close or overly cautious "tailgaters" who never seem to pass. How often does one complain about a conservative car up front? We braked well below carving speed.

It was a great ride with both roads and conversation weaving and friendly. I think it looked accidental when I tossed a tool and later dropped my chain to catch my breath.

sherbornpeddler 11-25-09 06:00 PM

Thanksgiving ride?

Me? Today same old, same old 67 mile, misty Carlisle ride back on the Serotta with rubber band clamped fenders.
Half day students jammed Ferns so I was forced to a taragon chicken sandwich at Starbucks in Concord.
188 miles to my second 1K month of the year.

40 or so on Turkey day before both football team and turkey are mauled.

ZIPP2001 11-26-09 05:58 PM

Went out for a 46 mile ride today before stuffing myself with turkey. I was out riding rte. 119 Willard Brook area, was a pretty nice day out. I hope everyone had a geat Thanksgiving.

sherbornpeddler 12-01-09 09:44 PM

Who's still getting out? I rode Sunday and plan my first Dec. ride tomorrow. I am dusting off my trainer.

bikinggrrrl 12-02-09 10:22 AM

Headed out again tomorrow. I'm picking my days carefully and starting to do things other than bike more often. Moving the trainer into position downstairs but it just isn't the same.:cry:

sherbornpeddler 12-02-09 05:46 PM

BGrrrl, trainers aren't all that bad.
Nice out this afternoon. I rode today but gotta get a bigger, brighter tail light.

On the other hand
it wouldn't have helped the poor dude at 730 pm the other week that got dragged 800+ ft on Rt 16 in Natick. He was going west, the driver was heading north from Dover and turned east on Rt16.
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/...arges_sou.html