Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Northeast (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   Metro Boston: Good ride today? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=518426)

dmann 06-12-09 10:34 PM

Doin' good out here in Lancaster, Ma. just turned 500 miles on the new toy (started in April). Still lots of winter road sand, pot holes and tree debris from the ice storm on the back roads. Seems a lot of towns are cutting way back on their maintenance due to budget shortfalls, plenty of "shovel ready" work waiting for nObama $$$. :)

sherbornpeddler 06-14-09 04:39 PM

I wish cars were more aware we need to dodge potholes.
Dmann, have you tackled Wachusett? It is on my to do list. I also want to make a run up to Peterborough via your neck of the woods.

dmann 06-14-09 08:11 PM

Spb….Wachusett remains on my to dream list, it’s a nasty little zit just waiting to pop ones ego! The ride into Princeton can be challenging enough; the Rte 62 approach from Sterling is pretty much a 4 mile climb, same for Rte 31, then 2.5 to 3 miles on the Mtn. As for dodging potholes, I have become more assertive/belligerent, I take a look in the big 3rd eye mirror and whenever possible move further into the road, let the cars slow down or pull further around, its my road too ;)

sherbornpeddler 06-20-09 09:22 PM

25 June Thursday might be the day Rocinante and I tackle potholes, cell phone distracted drivers and that strange tectonic-weather shift causing hills to gain height as I get older and out and back loops become (I’m sure, Im sure, Imsure, imsure, Escher, W.C. Escher) uphill and against the wind both ways.

bikinggrrrl 06-21-09 09:03 AM

The whole pothole thing got me thinking....

Do you know how anyone can help put pressure on a town's DPW to resurface their roads? As I ride past Walden Pond on Route 126, I often have to take the lane to get through. The Lincoln roads are amazingly awful. I used to think to myself as I strained to keep up with the flow of traffic, "If the residents of Lincoln want me to ride on the right side of the road, they will put some dang pavement there." Well they recently cold-patched some of the holes so I have changed my mantra to "If the residents of Lincoln want me to ride on the right side of the road, they will put some smooth pavement there."

Anyone ever try to contact a town's DPW or selectmen to complain about road conditions? Perhaps write a letter to the editor of local newspaper? I'm not of the mindset that roads should be beautifully maintained for my comfort, but there are definitely roads out there that pose a hazard to cyclists.

FWIW, Carlisle recently did some resurfacing. Rutland Street from the Billerica line to Great Brook Path as well as River Road (aka Monument Street on the Concord end) from Skelton Road to the Concord town line. Plans are in the works to do West Street soon.

dmann 06-23-09 10:03 PM

Rode into a wood-chipping crew and then a "fix-em-up" road patching crew this afternoon in the Sterling/Princeton area. Unsurprising to me was that all I heard as I pedaled past was Spanish and that the "attempted" repairs were just that...attempted. Sadly, we have lost a war without knowing it......

sherbornpeddler 06-27-09 08:10 PM

Say dmann,
Time passes and I still ponder which war? Road conditions, Spanish road crew? Something else, as you say, "without knowing it"?

Non biking related thoughts are what I enjoy most about biking. Sometimes road conditions pop back into my head just in time to suddenly steer around a pothole. Personally I veer towards political correctness, tolerance, pulling our fair share. I revel in cycling down a New England road with sun and shade, twisting and turning prodding conversation about hyperinflation, global economy, CEO worship, corruption, stifling entrepreneurs, potholes and wars.

Rode down through Woonsockett today with my daughter to watch lacrosse at Bryant. Nice ride, friendly folk redirected us to the campus and we missed the thunderstorm.

There is something about flying just in cruising speed on shady New England roads (particularly near Emerson's and Thoreaus' stomping grounds) that makes for lively conversations I enjoy. Kinda like shooting the breeze is frowned upon but if I'm chatting with a fishing pole and line then I'm multi-tasking.

nickthaquick1 06-28-09 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler (Post 9179235)
[COLOR=black]

There is something about flying just in cruising speed on shady New England roads (particularly near Emerson's and Thoreaus' stomping grounds) that makes for lively conversations I enjoy. Kinda like shooting the breeze is frowned upon but if I'm chatting with a fishing pole and line then I'm multi-tasking.

i did my undergrad at bryant! and lived with the majority of the lacrosse team in 2008. now that i think of it the roads up and around that area would be excellent for cycling, thanks for the idea!

how is the bike path out in cumberland as far as traffic goes? i used to live in one of those old mill-turn-new-apartment types right on the river, but this was before my biking days.

sherbornpeddler 06-29-09 03:18 PM

The Blackstone trail beginning at the southern most Woonsockett factory is magnificient. Perfect. It is well used but not crowded. My wife and I go on ride dates down and back on the East Providence to Bristol trail.

Roads around Bryant are very inviting. Nice rolling hills, beautiful area is Smithfield. Our ride to Woonsocket included some of Rt. 126 which wasn't the best but I like exploring urban areas too and Woonsockett has some fascinating history and renovated areas. Traffic seems aware of bicycle traffic and is moderate speed so we didn't feel uncomfortable.

Bryant Universtity has really boomed into a beautiful campus. Great Italian restaurant just south on rt 7 too.

dmann 07-01-09 09:12 PM

sherbourne...

Time passes and I still ponder which war? Road conditions, Spanish road crew? Something else, as you say, "without knowing it"?
Without getting to cynical, we are losing this country to those whom have no interest in its history, culture, traditions and values; all they want is its money. The moral relativists and PC police have created an Orwellian landscape where the tyranny of the minority prevails callously ignoring the voice of the majority. I am a generation 1.5 American (my fathers parents and my mother were immigrants) as such my childhood could have easily focused on my European roots, but thankfully my parents and local community would have none of that, they were Americans first and insert ethnicity here second. I have witnessed this same pride to be an American in the many Asian and African immigrants that I have had the pleasure to work with. I DO NOT see this from the vast majority of Hispanics I have come across even those born here who inexplicably continue to speak in broken heavily accented English. When I had occasion to spend extended time overseas I made the effort to function within those societies and cultures without any expectation that they submit to my ethnic identity. As you can tell the absolutely abhorrent weather has reduced me to a ranting fool…I need to ride, only 42 miles in the saddle over the last 7 days. :twitchy:

sherbornpeddler 07-02-09 09:42 AM

Dmann,
We do crave miles, don’t we? Thanks to a 67 miler a couple of days ago I've 173 miles over the last 7 days. My brain, body and outlook so soggy I'm starting to do chores around the house.

When I venture out and think beyond potholes and cellphone drivers with worn out windshield wipers I ponder such stuff. I'm not sure the latest ethnic group is different in benefit to the American soup but I am sure it is different flavor. I imagine my ancestors squinted to see attributes of the each current wave of new folks. Some nose-to-the-grind stone, some arts, some roll-up-the-sleeves labor. If you and I were riding towards Princeton, I’d compare our country to a region like Europe or SE Asia, we trail in diversity, languages, cultures and, most importantly, really good food.

If we turned off Rt 62 and were approaching Wachusett, I’d worry about population growth, standard of living, tax burden on social services, try to think globally rather than just national. I do like the hustle and entrepreneurs of the newest folks, the hand painted signs for a new restaurant and families. I’m not a fan of imperialism, intolerant religions and thinking we are right and “they” are “bad”.

Nice road, your pull.

dmann 07-02-09 11:00 PM

Sherbourn,
If we are approaching Wachusett from my side of Rt 62 its going to be a long and arduous climb! I am neither a fan/supporter of imperialism nor the "they are bad" school of Americana. All I seek is a level stretch of road for all, like Rt 68 through Rutland and an embracing of this countries language, history and values, those of the melting pot. Generations of "them" hold up in the Barrios of Lowel or Brockton stubbornly clinging to island cultures they fled and spitting at me is just plain wrong. We're at the junction of Rt 62 and Rt 31, your lead for the kick into Princeton center.

sherbornpeddler 07-03-09 02:45 PM

Nice pull but don't expect anything fancy into virtual Princeton.
BTW, I just rode to Concord, MA, had a sandwich and back at 15.7 mph. Pretty leisurely given 1/4 of the ride was beautiful, quiet meandering along a flood plain.
Barrios have good and bad for sure. Poor behavior and lack of safety in barrios is poor behavior regardless of ethnic group, I agree.

My local area, I like the new Brazilian food in Framingham but miss the Italians that moved out. The Italians replaced the Irish and so forth. The bottom rung on the ladder either work hard to assimilate (Italian and Irish?) or retain their culture (China town in Boston). Seems like the Brazilian want to retain their language and culture but I have to say I see a lot of hustle.

This is so much a better conversation while riding than typing. I hope we meet up on the climb to Wachussett.

BTW, I googled Framingham. My perception is way, way off. I would have guessed it was 20% Brazilian probably because of the change from “in my day”….
. Irish - 17%
· Italian - 12%
· English - 8%
· German - 5%
· Black or African American - 5%
· Brazilian - 5%
· Puerto Rican - 4%
· Russian - 4%
· French (except Basque) - 3%
· Polish - 3%
· Other Hispanic or Latino - 3%
· French Canadian - 3%
· Asian Indian - 2%
· Portuguese - 2%
· Chinese, except Taiwanese - 2%
· Central American: - 2%
· Scottish - 2%
· Scotch-Irish - 1%
· Swedish - 1%
· Subsaharan African - 1%
· Greek - 1%
· South American - 1%
· Salvadoran - 1%
· Canadian - 1%
· West Indian (excluding Hispanic groups) - 1%
· European - 1%
· Guatemalan - 1%
· Lithuanian - 1%
· Arab - 1%
· Eastern European - 1%
· Dominican Republic - 1%
· British - 1%
· Mexican - 1%

Conversations while riding New England roads is pretty cool. Thanks for the ride.

sherbornpeddler 07-06-09 09:54 PM

I hope y'all got out in this beeeyutiful weather! Rode singlespeed to W. Concord with my daughter during mid day. There was very little traffic and great tune up for our ride in the Prouty this weekend.

bikinggrrrl 07-07-09 03:55 AM

Nice to have some lovely weather for riding lately. SBP, I'll have to keep my eye out for you in the Concord area!

Jim from Boston 07-07-09 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler (Post 9231217)
I hope y'all got out in this beeeyutiful weather! Rode singlespeed to W. Concord with my daughter during mid day. There was very little traffic and great tune up for our ride in the Prouty this weekend.

Hi SBP,

Thanks for that cheery greeting. Last Saturday, immediately after breaking a rear wheel spoke and loosening the spokes on either side of the broken one I went from Kenmore Square to Lexington, then Rte 225 out to Forge Village, to Ayer, then Rte 110 to Harvard, to Bolton and Rte 117 and Rte 20 back to Boston. I estimate that I had about 20 to 30 miles in Carlisle and beyond where the cyclists outnumbered the cars.

Harvard was such a nice town to pass through on the Fourth. They were doing it up right, including an antique car show. It was virtually a miracle that Saturday was such a gorgeous day, in particular considering the nasty thunderstorms occuring now.

Total mileage was about 75. One block from home my tire exploded because I had worn through my rim. The guys at my shop were impressed. It certainly would have been a ride-stopper way out west there. I'm glad it happened this week-end because I'm planning my Prouty surrogate century on July 11, as we discussed previously. I'm thinking of going northward to the Merrimack Valley region and back. It certainly will be less of a hassle to do, but the Prouty sounds like a memorable adventure. I look forward to your report.

BTW, I enjoyed the style of your preceding posts with dmann on your imaginary bike ride to Wachusetts. I would have added my two cents, but I was too breathless by your pace. :lol:

Sincerely,

James de Boston

sherbornpeddler 07-08-09 07:45 AM

Imaginary?

1. Dmann and I were on an imaginary ride?
2. How do you manage to "half full", wonderful 4th, bask in LBS compliments, coach a broken wheel through a 75 mile ride and dodge T storms. I'd have cursed the glass, complained my half-empty was smaller than your half-full and not known to loosen adjacent spokes.

Were you fuelled by New England roads, ingenuity, the Pops http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pzCoyhanEk ?

As was the case virtualizing Wachusett, tell us of your adjacent spoke strategy, your decision to press on and your rim falling like Phidippides approaching Athens?

Jim from Boston 07-08-09 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler (Post 9239253)
1. Dmann and I were on an imaginary ride?
2. How do you manage to "half full", wonderful 4th, bask in LBS compliments, coach a broken wheel through a 75 mile ride and dodge T storms. I'd have cursed the glass, complained my half-empty was smaller than your half-full and not known to loosen adjacent spokes.

Were you fuelled by New England roads, ingenuity, the Pops http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pzCoyhanEk ?

As was the case virtualizing Wachusett, tell us of your adjacent spoke strategy, your decision to press on and your rim falling like Phidippides approaching Athens?

Hi SBP,

Nice reply, great prose. No thunderstorms on the fourth as I recall; it was a miracle.

I actually broke my spoke on the way to a 24 hour CVS at 6AM to buy a cycle computer battery because the computer was acting up the day before and I thought the battery might be failing. I was out to do 75 miles according to my Century training schedule and I wanted to be as precise as possible (I'm very goal-oriented). After the spoke broke and the rim was significantly rubbing the brake I was concerned if my repair would hold up. I thought about just riding tight loops around town but that seemed too boring so I went way out west, with out any significant wobble after the quick fix.

I always carry a spoke wrench that fits the spoke nipples. All I did was gradually loosen the spokes on either side of the broken one, about a quarter to half turn each time, and checked the wheel postion relative to the brake pad until it centered pretty well with each revolution. The trick is to know which way to turn. The rule is "Righty tighty, lefty loosey" as you face the spokes with the bike in the upright position, but since I set it upside down to fix the wheel, the opposite directions apply.

I didn't notice any problem the entire ride and felt pretty good. I was slowly riding on the sidewalk of my block in Kenmore and the front tube suddenly exploded with a loud bang and I was riding on the rim with a collapsed tire. Fortunately I unclipped in time and shuddered to think how the bike would handle if I was zipping downhill. :eek: (There was a thread on this subject sometime ago. As I recall most correspondent said they were able to handle it OK.). There were some strips of metal protruding out of the rim and at first I thought the tire bead had worn through, but in fact they were shards from the edge of my rim. The shop is building me a new wheel and tuning my bike for this Saturday's century attempt.

Nonetheless, it was a glorious Fourth besides the bike ride. I walked through the teeming masses on the festive Esplanade that afternoon, and that night I watched the concert and fireworks on TV, while I could still hear the bombs bursting in air simultaneously in Kenmore Square.

Best wishes on the Prouty this Saturday. I had been invited to a dinner that Saturday by a colleague who has a summer home up there. :(

Jim

sherbornpeddler 07-12-09 06:04 PM

Gaahraate Ride Saturday. Daughter and I "stealth camped" nearby Friday night and rode to an 8AM start. Under threat of thunderstorms and rain (ever hear of the stuff?) and to assure a good time was had by all two of us we rode the 50 mile criss-crossing the river north of Hanover in the good company of enthusiastic riders, volunteers, perfect weather and magnificent views.

I strongly recommend this fundraiser ride as well organized, just beautiful views, cool NE towns, excellent, spacious roads, great sponsor food....and ice cream....and a friendly, crowded finish. The roads are very bicycle friendly and what little traffic there was, was well supervised. A great cause and great ride.

sherbornpeddler 07-16-09 07:59 PM

Wellelsey to Carlisle and beyond century tomorrow with a few friends.
Sunday I cast off one a three day road trial of a Raleigh Cadent 1 converted to a light tourer.

sherbornpeddler 07-20-09 06:57 PM

2 day cut short to 2 day because of tribal and cycle matters. Tiagra brifter on my Cadent 1 failed with shimano debris; a small, white tape jammed things up. Tribal matters weren’t so easily fixed and I left 11AM. Hot weather, my navigation around Worcester, Western MA hills, 20lbs of gear, bib shorts and my fitness do not make for my favorite combination. I slept soundly on a soft Amherst lawn in my Contrail tent. Today started and middled with hillllls north of Quabbin over to Princeton. Lots of road repair on Rt. 62. It will be nice and road crews are friendly and bicycle considerate. Sitting in the Princeton gazebo, I was a clothed, sagging version of a famous Rodin statue and contemplated Wachusett or a nap. The nap won. Seemed like it was downhill almost all the way to Sherborn. 165 loaded miles was a tough, beautiful ride.

beat.tk 07-21-09 11:28 AM

Great day for commuting in Cambridge-Somerville because EVERYWHERE SMELLS LIKE BACON.
You'd think the rain would diminish the hammy smell, but no.

sherbornpeddler 07-21-09 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by beat.tk (Post 9323091)
Great day for commuting in Cambridge-Somerville because EVERYWHERE SMELLS LIKE BACON.
You'd think the rain would diminish the hammy smell, but no.

You are right! Smells are a great part of riding. Terrific observation!

atom bomb 07-22-09 06:23 AM

scents

Hmmm, when I have ridden through Cambridge and Somerville it usually smells like laundry. But maybe it depends on time of day.

On Saturday, Needham smelled like manure.

ZIPP2001 07-25-09 07:07 PM

Had a fun ride out to Worcester airport today. Did all thre climbs up to the airport the out to rte. 70 around the resivior thru Clinton, Lancaster, Sterling, Leominster to my moms for a visit. Got in a total of 78 miles.

sherbornpeddler 07-26-09 09:54 PM

Zipp that is serious hill work! I went through Worcester last week on route to Amherst via Rt. 9. Not the greatest road in Worcester but pretty considerate urban drivers. A truck driver gave me the Sox score. Returning I stayed north of Quabbin to Princeton and angled south on Rt.140, crossed Rt.70 and mucked (aka rode around hills) north of Hopkington to Ashland.

ZIPP2001 07-27-09 03:05 PM

Hi SBP !

I've done Winchendon rte. 12 into Worcester to rte.9 into Belchertown to rte. 202 back to Winchendon which is a nice route that loops around the Quabbin. It's a nice route with great views. I like going thru Worcester and doing the airport for some reason, I climg the three different roads leading to the airport. My legs have been feeling pretty good lately so i've been doing more climbing. I'm going to be doing a ride out by your way in the next few weeks. I'm going rte. 202 to 119 to rte. 31 thru Mason NH., to rte. 101 over Temple Mt. I'll stay on rte. 101 toward Keene then hit rte. 12 to head back home to Winchendon. As the weather gets hotter I like to ride longer distances.

sherbornpeddler 07-27-09 03:30 PM

Wow! How long are your Belchertown and Temple rides? How long do these loops take you? Beautiful country. I lived in Mason years ago, major hills. You must fly into Peterborough.

ZIPP2001 07-29-09 06:19 AM

SBP

The Temple MT. route comes in at 87 miles, and the Beltchertown route is 121 miles. Both routes have plenty of rolling climbs, that make them pretty fun. The last time I did the Beltchertown route I was out for a little over 8 hours of total time, thats rest stop included. If the weather is nice this Saturday i'm going out to Worcester again to do the airport and maybe ride out toward Auburn for a bit.

bikinggrrrl 08-09-09 04:14 PM

mmmmmmm :).... had a couple of great rides through Harvard this past week.:thumb: Gosh I love those hills (especially on a tandem), even with the baby trailer. Have had to make a few adjustments to our rides with baby in tow: no more 50mph descents (although I'll allow 40), and no blowing around super tight corners at top speed.