Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

BigChief 09-11-17 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 19855200)
So, while I was reading about a member's cable search and looking at the various one he threw up, I began to have a question form in the back of my mind. It finally came out today. I wonder what length my ne cable is and will it work for my project?

Got out the tape measure and put it to my Rudge. The housing could stand to be 20" long with the exposed cable taking about 38" or so to reach the hub. Looked at the package and, holy moly!, I got a long cable to work with. I would rather not have to cut the end and instead use the hub adjuster that came with it. I will go back to the LBS and see if I can scrounge a shorter set up.

That's a beautiful cable. Too short...OK a problem. Too long, no big deal. Compared to rebuilding a bent trigger shifter, it's a walk in the park.

arty dave 09-11-17 07:02 PM

You can use a dremel cut-off wheel if you have one, they make a nice neat cut on a cable outer. But a cable cutter is a good investment if you like tinkering with bikes

BigChief 09-11-17 07:38 PM

Yes, a cable cutter is an essential tool. Especially if your working on long out of production bikes. They're around 20 bucks. 35 if you go for the good Park Tool cutters. If you have cable cutters, a fine file, some JB Weld and a package of these:
https://www.amazon.com/PRECISION-MET...2+brass+tubing
You will be able to deal with any 3 speed cable problem life deals you and you will never have to use those clunky pinch bolts ever again.

3speedslow 09-11-17 07:49 PM

^^^ interesting! It makes sense, there isn't that much tension on a trigger cable.

BigChief 09-11-17 08:32 PM

I used to silver braze these, but I've found the JB Weld to be just as strong. You use the corner edge of a fine file to saw off a short piece of the tubing, clean any burrs out of the inside diameter with a pointy kitchen knife, smooth up the outside with the file and you have your cable end. It works for both the shifter and inside the barrel adjuster. Since the cable is wound, the JB Weld will never slip off all those serrations. Put a very slight crimp on the tubing before the JB sets, just enough so the hardened JB can't pass through and that cable is going nowhere. Works great.
edit
be careful not to put too much crimp on the tubing if you are using it on the barrel adjuster end. You want the adjuster to spin freely. If it snags at all, you need to file down the tubing until it spins nicely. It may well not be necessary to crimp the tube at all. Adheasion alone might be all it needs. I have one (un crimped) on my Sprite for a couple of years now with no problem.

gster 09-12-17 03:48 AM

Wishful Thinking

2 Attachment(s)
Speaking of Raleigh built Supercycles..
Here's a Supercycle frame on Kijiji, Toronto with a price of $80.00...
I'd pay $20.00 if it had a complete bottom bracket w/ cranks.
Followed by a complete bike @ 180.00
Attachment 580209

Attachment 580210

gster 09-12-17 03:51 AM

Mystery Bike

4 Attachment(s)
Advertised as a 1958 Jaguar Duomatic with a very unique trigger...
And a S/A looking hub.
Anyone seen one before?
Attachment 580211

Attachment 580212

Attachment 580213

Attachment 580214

BigChief 09-12-17 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19855927)
And a S/A looking hub.
Anyone seen one before?
Attachment 580211

Attachment 580212

Attachment 580213

Attachment 580214

OK, this one is cool. Duo...2 speed I assume. DL1 sort of frame angles and that fender ornament! I like it.
Sturmey archer made a barrel type 3 speed shifter like this early on.

3speedslow 09-12-17 07:04 AM

F&S shifter with Puch looking headtube lugs. Might be Austrian. Paint matching rims and that cool cat on the front... nice touches.

bazil4696 09-12-17 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=gster;19855926]Speaking of Raleigh built Supercycles..
Here's a Supercycle frame on Kijiji, Toronto with a price of $80.00...
I'd pay $20.00 if it had a complete bottom bracket w/ cranks.
Followed by a complete bike @ 180.00

For 80 bucks, it can stay hanging on that string as wall art.
That mystery bike is cool. I've never seen one at any local shows.

thumpism 09-12-17 09:18 AM

Jaguar was manufactured well into the '70s and maybe later. West German origin, as far as I know. There's one at the co-op right now, I think. They used a fogged paint job on the bikes I've seen, black over green or over blue. I think there's a Sachs 3-speed on this one.

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19855927)
And a S/A looking hub.
Anyone seen one before?
Attachment 580211

Attachment 580212

Attachment 580213

Attachment 580214

gster 09-12-17 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 19856397)
Jaguar was manufactured well into the '70s and maybe later. West German origin, as far as I know. There's one at the co-op right now, I think. They used a fogged paint job on the bikes I've seen, black over green or over blue. I think there's a Sachs 3-speed on this one.

Thanks for the info.
I should mention the seller is asking a whopping $500.00 for it.

3speedslow 09-12-17 11:10 AM

Cat's not that cool!

thumpism 09-12-17 06:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's the Jaguar at our local co-op, buried so badly that I could not get better pix without moving a load of metal. Ladies' 21" frame model First Class, what looks like 700C wheels on steel rims, Thun crank, and the classic Sachs Torpedo Dreigang ("3 speed") hub. Could not verify country of origin due to access and messed up decals/stickers.
Attachment 580318

Attachment 580319

Attachment 580320

BigChief 09-12-17 07:58 PM

About 5 years ago I decided to revisit my old hobby of English 3 speeds. I treated myself to some tools that aren't totally necessary. I got by for years without them. Like the Park Tool bottom bracket spanners HCW 11 and 5. The HCW 11 went from nice to important today. I'm servicing an early 70s Sports bottom bracket and the adjustable cup that usually unthreads easily was crabby coming out. I cleaned the threads with solvent and a brass brush and inspected them closely. I could see nothing wrong, but it was just a tight fit. Wouldn't thread in by hand. When I was reassembling the BB, I knew I'd need some extra leverage on the adjustable cup. These are fine threads. Easy to cross thread, so I had to be extra careful. With the spanner, I had the leverage I needed, but still had enough feel to be sure it was threading on correctly. I wouldn't have if I were using something like channel lock pliers and tapping it was out of the question. Today, I was happy I spent a little extra for a nice tool.

DQRider 09-12-17 07:59 PM

Getting Ready for the ABCE

The "All British Cycling Event" is set to roll this weekend. There will be much rejoicing (yay!), a bit of riding, and a lot of showing off and telling tales. On Sunday there will be an "Autojumble", which I'm told is the British equivalent of a swap meet or flea market. If you are looking for some particular farkle or whatsit, chances are you may find it there.

I've been tuning and riding my 1974 Raleigh DL1 in preparation. Last night, it carried me to dinner at a local "Pollo Campero", or South American chicken joint. I parked my steed at the fence, and joined it with my meal on the patio:

https://i.imgur.com/75GP7lz.png

Then this morning I heard on the news that there was a lot of ground fog in the area. A particular location down by the river sprung to mind, and I leaped into action! Riding down the hill towards the Mississippi River with my camera and tripod slung over my shoulder, I found my favorite spot all lined with barges; but that was OK.

What wasn't OK was the immense swarm of mosquitoes that immediately attacked as soon as I dismounted. I was fighting them off the whole time I set up this shot, and I had to trip the shutter on a timer because there was no way I could have held steady whilst a thousand little winged vampires feasted on my blood.

https://i.imgur.com/E5AeOn5.png
I think this photo was worth it though, don't you?

Ballenxj 09-12-17 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 19857953)

The "All British Cycling Event" is set to roll this weekend.
<---- snip ---->

Yes, it was worth it. Nice shot. :thumb:
Hate mosquitoes.
Love the Bike. :thumb:
Tell us about those tires? Yeah, I noticed, and assume they are period correct, but.....

campngolf 09-12-17 10:51 PM

What's a few hundred (thousand?) mosquito bites when you can get a great shot like that of such a cool bike? Nice work.

BigChief 09-13-17 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 19857953)

The "All British Cycling Event" is set to roll this weekend. There will be much rejoicing (yay!), a bit of riding, and a lot of showing off and telling tales. On Sunday there will be an "Autojumble", which I'm told is the British equivalent of a swap meet or flea market. If you are looking for some particular farkle or whatsit, chances are you may find it there.

I've been tuning and riding my 1974 Raleigh DL1 in preparation. Last night, it carried me to dinner at a local "Pollo Campero", or South American chicken joint. I parked my steed at the fence, and joined it with my meal on the patio:

Then this morning I heard on the news that there was a lot of ground fog in the area. A particular location down by the river sprung to mind, and I leaped into action! Riding down the hill towards the Mississippi River with my camera and tripod slung over my shoulder, I found my favorite spot all lined with barges; but that was OK.

What wasn't OK was the immense swarm of mosquitoes that immediately attacked as soon as I dismounted. I was fighting them off the whole time I set up this shot, and I had to trip the shutter on a timer because there was no way I could have held steady whilst a thousand little winged vampires feasted on my blood.

I always enjoy your photos. Thanks for sharing them here. What a beautiful roadster. It's older than 1974 isn't it?

DQRider 09-13-17 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19858408)
I always enjoy your photos. Thanks for sharing them here. What a beautiful roadster. It's older than 1974 isn't it?

What an odd sort of brainfart that was! :foo: It is indeed a 1971, not a `74 - or at least the AW hub is. I remember when I first bought it and looked for that date on the hub, the font they used had me thinking that '1' was a '4', and that errant impression is apparently still bouncing around somewhere in my head. Thanks for the reboot, @BigChief!

For @Ballenxj: Those are Schwalbe Delta Cruisers in creme color. I first saw those on a DL1 path racer someone had built, and for awhile there a bunch of Raleighs were running them. I've seen a couple of Pashleys sporting the creme `Cruisers as well.

They are nice tires, although they are the only ones I've used on this bike since I restored it. And they do set off the black frame and fenders quite nicely.

johnnyspaghetti 09-13-17 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 19856663)
Cat's not that cool!

The cat may not be $500 cool but it is possible it is to someone. I think is is totally cool bling that is quite unique on a fairly nice old 3-speed?

gster 09-14-17 06:13 AM

Wtf???

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 580493
The '72 Superbe I bought last weekend had some trouble in the hub......
The sun gear is completely pooched.
What would cause this?
I suspect that the hub was really over tightened with no play.
The planet gears appear to be fine with no wear and tear at all.
Perhaps the engineers spec'd this part to be a little softer to fail before
the planets?
In any case I had a spare and will reassemble tonight.

gster 09-14-17 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 19858874)
The cat may not be $500 cool but it is possible it is to someone. I think is is totally cool bling that is quite unique on a fairly nice old 3-speed?

Spare parts can be quite difficult to find for some of the Duomatic/Torpedo hubs. Including axle nuts!

johnnyspaghetti 09-14-17 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19860762)
Spare parts can be quite difficult to find for some of the Duomatic/Torpedo hubs. Including axle nuts!

Gotta agree with that, I am unaware of the existence of this Doumatic/Torpedo hub. It is rather amazing the bike looks to be a complete example in VG original condition.

rhm 09-14-17 07:35 AM

Anyone who understands 4 and 5 speed hubs, want to comment on this drawing?

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pg?format=500w

Larger version here. It is beautiful, obviously, but there's something I'm not understanding.