Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Tubeless repair advice (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1238206)

Redbullet 09-06-21 12:37 PM

Tubeless repair advice

Hi,
Grateful if somebody can advice: I need to fix a small hole (max 1 mm) in a tubeless road tire, with the tool in the image below. The question is" is it ok to make the repair with the tire out of the rim (I already took it off, to see what happens inside), or should I put it back on the rim and inflate immediately after repair?
Thanks!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2aff9721bb.jpg

Appalachia 09-06-21 12:47 PM

I recommend repairing on the rim with sealant inside. Once the hole is plugged, spin the wheel to effectively seal your repair.

WhyFi 09-06-21 01:25 PM

Get better sealant.

In no way, shape or form should you have to do anything to address a 1mm puncture. Hell, you shouldn't even notice a 1mm puncture.

Redbullet 09-06-21 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22217741)
Get better sealant.

In no way, shape or form should you have to do anything to address a 1mm puncture. Hell, you shouldn't even notice a 1mm puncture.

Yes, I know, but I tried 2 sealants, including the famous Schvalbe "doc blue" (after a deep cleaning of the old sealant - lot of work). But the high pressure in the road pushes the liquid very slowly through the hole. The sealant never really gets solid to seal the hole. I also tried with an internal patch for tubeless. It lasted for around 3 weeks, then the bond failed. So, the chance is to try with that rubber wire. Fortunately, the tool I bought looks reasonably thin.

WhyFi 09-06-21 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Redbullet (Post 22217833)
Yes, I know, but I tried 2 sealants, including the famous Schvalbe "doc blue" (after a deep cleaning of the old sealant - lot of work). But the high pressure in the road pushes the liquid very slowly through the hole. The sealant never really gets solid to seal the hole. I also tried with an internal patch for tubeless. It lasted for around 3 weeks, then the bond failed. So, the chance is to try with that rubber wire. Fortunately, the tool I bought looks reasonably thin.

What's "high pressure"? I've run Orange Seal at 100psi and had no issues permanently sealing significantly larger punctures.

Also, you shouldn't have to worry about assiduously cleaning out old sealant - drain the liquid and that's it.

NoWhammies 09-06-21 02:47 PM

+1 for Orange Seal.

Redbullet 09-06-21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22217842)
What's "high pressure"? I've run Orange Seal at 100psi and had no issues permanently sealing significantly larger punctures.

Also, you shouldn't have to worry about assiduously cleaning out old sealant - drain the liquid and that's it.

Max 95 PSI and most of the time around 85-90 (it slightly deflates in time) . High pressure here means higher than MTB tire pressure. I cleaned the tire because I changed the sealant; many people say that sealant types are sometimes incompatible one with another.
I heard that sealant works for others, but many times I had to hardly clean up the rear brake and the frame, due to very thin sealant that "sprays" through the hole while riding. I'm tired of investing and testing sealants and patches (already around 30 EUR to date), thus, I am tented to give a chance to that solution with the thin wire of rubber inserted into the hole.

WhyFi 09-06-21 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Redbullet (Post 22217911)
Max 95 PSI and most of the time around 85-90 (it slightly deflates in time) . High pressure here means higher than MTB tire pressure. I cleaned the tire because I changed the sealant; many people say that sealant types are sometimes incompatible one with another.
I heard that sealant works for others, but many times I had to hardly clean up the rear brake and the frame, due to very thin sealant that "sprays" through the hole while riding. I'm tired of investing and testing sealants and patches (already around 30 EUR to date), thus, I am tented to give a chance to that solution with the thin wire of rubber inserted into the hole.

Tubeless is meant to make life more simple for people that get punctures. If you need to jump through these kinds of hoops for a tiny puncture, it absolutely fails based upon that criteria. While it sucks to have 30 bucks go down the drain, what you're setting yourself up for is more frustration down the line. Either get tubeless figured out right, so that you don't have to even think about punctures of this nature, or just save yourself the trouble and go back to tubes.

As far as different sealant types, most are latex based and even mixing them shouldn't be problematic; even if both sealants aren't latex based, I don't see how residual solids from one, on the inside of the tire carcass, would meaningfully affect the performance of the new stuff, but I'm not a chemist.

mstateglfr 09-06-21 05:32 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Hutchinson-Re.../dp/B07CLM4CRT

Use this if your sealant won't fully clog the hole. I've used this on a gravel tire- it's it's permanent fix as it goes on the inside of the tire and is specifically made to adhere to the tire.

jaxgtr 09-06-21 07:21 PM

I would also look at getting the Dynaplug versus the tool you have. Much easier to deal with non sealing holes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B6T4C42...roduct_details

biker128pedal 09-06-21 07:55 PM

If you took the tire off then clean and scuff the area on the inside and put on a patch. Like alluded to above with the Amazon link. :thumb:

shelbyfv 09-08-21 02:39 PM

You could put a tube sock in it.:twitchy:

shelbyfv 09-08-21 08:14 PM

Another vote for Orange Seal.

eduskator 09-09-21 07:24 AM

Switched from Giant (Stans) to Muc-Off this year and I love it. If your sealant isn't able to clog a 1mm hole, I'd try another one.

Have you checked to see if the object that caused the puncture was still in there? Might sound silly, but it happens sometimes. You may just have been bad lucked!

Another option is to unmount the tire at patch it from the inside properly.

WhyFi 09-09-21 08:11 AM

I mentioned it in the OP's other, hissyfit thread, but it's worth noting here. The highly regarded sealant? Uh, yeah -

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1f6bb5c296.jpg

Ianohian 09-13-21 11:53 AM

I loved my tubeless tires

But had to install tubes after a piece of glass got stuck deep in the rolling surface. It would seal, but riding it would shift the glass and I'd lose pressure on each ride. Tried different sealant, but it took me a bit to figure out that there was still a bit of glass in there. Getting it out enlarged the hole, so I had to give up and use tubes. I'll give tubeless another go, as soon as there's stock and I need a new tire. seems to be a bit of a learning curve.