Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

michaelz28 01-25-15 11:46 PM


Originally Posted by arex (Post 17500391)
Yes...I'm finding that the powdercoat doesn't photograph very well. It really does look nicer than that.

it was painted , not powercoated .. . why powedercoat ? i don't think you will ever achieve that paint look of the metal flake ..its not like you're leaving it in the yard any more .. it looks great . the gold stripe looks good too but ..

arex 01-26-15 10:06 AM


Originally Posted by michaelz28 (Post 17500610)
it was painted , not powercoated .. . why powedercoat ? i don't think you will ever achieve that paint look of the metal flake ..its not like you're leaving it in the yard any more .. it looks great . the gold stripe looks good too but ..

Out in the sun, the metallic layer really shows through. Indoors, yes, it appears flat, not sure why.

truckface 01-26-15 10:28 AM

I posted a handful of photos in another thread, but figured folks hanging out here would be interested in it too.

If you aren't familiar with the story behind these, they were apparently part of a failed attempt to revive the Lambert name in the early 2000s. Bob Jackson-built and Joe Bell-painted, they were intended to be "high-end" three speeds in the traditional English style. A BF member came across a handful of them at a garage sale in TN a few years back. I acquired this frame in the fall and just finished up the build.

http://i.imgur.com/T1ptf2wh.jpg

michaelz28 01-26-15 09:13 PM


Originally Posted by arex (Post 17501262)
Out in the sun, the metallic layer really shows through. Indoors, yes, it appears flat, not sure why.

are you restoring that bike ? i love to see some progress picts and stuff

Peugeotlover 01-26-15 09:35 PM

Raleigh Sports 3 speed.
What model year do you think this is?
Is the price reasonable?
I like it's looks.
Check out the design of that front chain ring.

Vintage raleigh sports 3 speed nice

arex 01-26-15 10:42 PM


Originally Posted by Peugeotlover (Post 17503288)
Raleigh Sports 3 speed.
What model year do you think this is?
Is the price reasonable?
I like it's looks.
Check out the design of that front chain ring.

Vintage raleigh sports 3 speed nice

Looks alright, but seems kind of pricy. Guessing it's from the 1970's, based on the decals, but it'd be hard to narrow it down from there without looking up the serial number.

PatrickZ 01-26-15 10:44 PM


Originally Posted by Peugeotlover (Post 17503288)
Raleigh Sports 3 speed.
What model year do you think this is?
Is the price reasonable?
I like it's looks.
Check out the design of that front chain ring.

Around 1972 or so.

arex 01-26-15 11:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by michaelz28 (Post 17503237)
are you restoring that bike ? i love to see some progress picts and stuff

Not restoring, really...started out with too little of the original bike. I'm building a club racer replica from the bare frame. I've no doubt that purists are recoiling in mute horror from my efforts.

I had mocked it up last winter, but it got sidelined when I found the seat stay brazings were broken. I recently had the damage repaired, along with some other minor modifications, since the paint was getting ruined by the torch anyways. I just got the frame back from the powdercoater last week, and I spent this evening putting the bottom bracket together.

This was from last winter:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=430742 http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=430743

Some things will have changed by the time I'm done.

Narhay 01-26-15 11:10 PM

I like it except that crank...too bulky.

Salubrious 01-26-15 11:12 PM

^^ I'm OK with it except for that crank. If it were me and I was not planning to use a chainguard I would put a high end cottered crank on there, but in all likelihood you will pay more for that than the one there now.

I'm working on a clubman myself, based on a Bates frame. I've run into to a snag and wondering if anyone has a cure. The tubing is a bit larger diameter, so mounting the cable pulley on the seat tube is an issue. Has anyone seen pulley clamps and fulcrum clamps that are made for larger diameter tubing?? Or do I have to go off-reservation on this one?

arex 01-26-15 11:31 PM

Yeah, the crank isn't the most awesome choice...but it was cheap, and gives a good chainline. I might change it in the future to something more appropriate-looking. That's not the chainring I'm going to use, either.

arex 01-26-15 11:34 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 17503503)
I'm working on a clubman myself, based on a Bates frame. I've run into to a snag and wondering if anyone has a cure. The tubing is a bit larger diameter, so mounting the cable pulley on the seat tube is an issue. Has anyone seen pulley clamps and fulcrum clamps that are made for larger diameter tubing?? Or do I have to go off-reservation on this one?

How big is the tube?

nlerner 01-27-15 07:35 AM

Those pulley clamps did come in two sizes. Larger is 1 1/8" I believe.

michaelz28 01-27-15 10:06 AM


Originally Posted by Peugeotlover (Post 17503288)
Raleigh Sports 3 speed.
What model year do you think this is?
Is the price reasonable?
I like it's looks.
Check out the design of that front chain ring.
Vintage raleigh sports 3 speed nice

its pre 74 as in 74 the pump was dropped as part of the "sports " package . the raleigh heron was everywhere on these things . the chain ring is a nice touch and is nicer than any schwinn ..just make sure its a 23 inch and not a 21 . the seat post looks a little high . my 23 inch seat is pretty low and its up there and im 6'1"..

noglider 01-27-15 10:21 AM


Originally Posted by arex (Post 17503436)
Looks alright, but seems kind of pricy. Guessing it's from the 1970's, based on the decals, but it'd be hard to narrow it down from there without looking up the serial number.

It has the leather saddle which appears to be in good condition. The whole bike appears to be in good condition. As such, the price is fair. It's also a large model, which can justify the high price. If you want this bike, buy it. The price might be negotiable, too.

ironchefchris 01-27-15 10:35 AM

New-ish to the forum...I just got a brown 70s Raleigh Sports 3 spd (trying to pin point the year) from my dad who grabbed it from Goodwill when he was driving by and saw a guy unloading it. He doesn't ride anymore, but used to race in his younger days and also gave me his old racing bike a few years ago, a green Gitane TdF that had been in the garage for 30 years w/o being ridden (he sort of retired it after his jaw was wired shut from a nasty wreck on the bike during a race). A bit rusty and needs an overhaul for sure but the paint is great and the bike is a real looker. Brakes are a loud mess and the gears are shot though..so while I'm fixing that one up, the Raleigh will be my bike of choice for riding around since it is a functioning bike now. Hopefully I can use this forum to work on both bikes and get them back to top shape for the spring.

Anything of note on the Sports? I like the look of the Gitane with the drop down bars and having ridden that bike more, it feels a bit more comfortable to me than sitting totally upright. However, the Raleigh is a more reliable, comfortable over-all, and a fun bike for tooling around the neighborhood. Does anyone ever put drop down bars on Sports or 3 spd or is that odd? I'm having some trouble finding a good place to source new parts that look age appropriate as well, any tips?

Bandera 01-27-15 10:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 17503503)
The tubing is a bit larger diameter, so mounting the cable pulley on the seat tube is an issue. Has anyone seen pulley clamps and fulcrum clamps that are made for larger diameter tubing?? Or do I have to go off-reservation on this one?


ORIGIN8 Pro Cable Guide Pulley

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=430797

Origin8 Alloy Cable Stop: 28.6, 31.8, 34.9

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=430798

-Bandera

Salubrious 01-27-15 10:59 AM

Sweet! Thanks!

michaelz28 01-27-15 11:21 AM


Originally Posted by ironchefchris (Post 17504351)
New-ish to the forum...I just got a brown 70s Raleigh Sports 3 spd (trying to pin point the year) from my dad who grabbed it from Goodwill when he was driving by and saw a guy unloading it. He doesn't ride anymore, but used to race in his younger days and also gave me his old racing bike a few years ago, a green Gitane TdF that had been in the garage for 30 years w/o being ridden (he sort of retired it after his jaw was wired shut from a nasty wreck on the bike during a race). A bit rusty and needs an overhaul for sure but the paint is great and the bike is a real looker. Brakes are a loud mess and the gears are shot though..so while I'm fixing that one up, the Raleigh will be my bike of choice for riding around since it is a functioning bike now. Hopefully I can use this forum to work on both bikes and get them back to top shape for the spring.

Anything of note on the Sports? I like the look of the Gitane with the drop down bars and having ridden that bike more, it feels a bit more comfortable to me than sitting totally upright. However, the Raleigh is a more reliable, comfortable over-all, and a fun bike for tooling around the neighborhood. Does anyone ever put drop down bars on Sports or 3 spd or is that odd? I'm having some trouble finding a good place to source new parts that look age appropriate as well, any tips?

get some Picts of the Raleigh . I just recent found one too . Mine is a coffee 74 . Clean off the rear hub and it will have a date on it . Not proof positive, but a start .
Again, I'm pretty new at the Raleigh thing , but I'm learnig .

adventurepdx 01-27-15 12:59 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17504310)
It has the leather saddle which appears to be in good condition. The whole bike appears to be in good condition. As such, the price is fair. It's also a large model, which can justify the high price. If you want this bike, buy it. The price might be negotiable, too.

Yeah, you can tell that some of you folks don't live in Portland! ;) A 23-inch Sports frame in good shape with what looks like a Brooks B72 in good shape would probably start at $300 here. $220 is practically a steal! (Though those reflectors have gotta go...)

michaelz28 01-27-15 02:13 PM

I have to agree that 200 is below going rate ( from what I've seen on line ) . 300 or 350 . I don't know everything about these bikes , but since I've got mine I've been on eBay and Craig's list and the 200 dollar ones have issues. Broken or missing cabels, wrong saddle , etc . And there is this ..23" Vintage Used Once Coffee 1970 Raleigh Sports Papers Accessories Brooks B72 | eBay

nlerner 01-27-15 04:16 PM

Hmm, I sold a 1970s 23" men's coffee brown Sports back in the summer for $150, and it took quite a few weeks. That's in Boston, which is a pretty hot market for bicycles.

Peugeotlover 01-27-15 06:16 PM

Hey, everybody, thank you for the replies about the Raleigh Sports.
When I was about 12 years old, my folks bought me a Rollfast English 3-speed and I enjoyed that for many years, until I left home.
I think the folks probably spent about $70. for that bike, new (early 1960's?).
The Raleigh Sports looks nearly identical to the Rollfast, thus my interest.

Like nlerner, I was thinking about $150. also, would be fair to both buyer & seller.
But, the economy has shifted, it is difficult to keep up with all the value changes.
I may go to look at the bike, and now I have a better idea as to what to offer.
Thanks Tom, et al.

michaelz28 01-27-15 09:12 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 17505424)
Hmm, I sold a 1970s 23" men's coffee brown Sports back in the summer for $150, and it took quite a few weeks. That's in Boston, which is a pretty hot market for bicycles.

what shape and how original was it ? id never let this one go for less than 350 http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...pscduuhsl1.jpg

michaelz28 01-27-15 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
was doing some cleaning and found the serial number http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=430883


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.