Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

gster 11-04-18 07:08 AM


Originally Posted by PeterLYoung (Post 20646477)
I have a BSA Combined 3 Speed & Hub Brake. I want to dismantle the 3 Speed and check and clean it as part of the restoration of my 1936 Light Roadster. Thing is because the 3 Speed End Cap is recessed inside the Brake Drum it is not possible to get a purchase on the flats to undo it. BSA must have had a special tool to do this.

I have concluded the only way is to design a tool and get it made (probably at great expense).
The tool is designed so that the Spindle Nut (with a washer) can be installed to hold the tool against the End Cap to maintain purchase while loosening it, obviously one will have to keep slackening the Spindle Nut as the End Cap is undone to prevent jamming between End Cap and Spindle Nut.
I thought others may have this problem so I am attaching an image of the Hub and the design for the tool (which is not yet made, will be done when I get back from USA to UK in February).

Also I have started a New Thread under Classic & Vintage Titled: 'Restoring a 1936 BSA Light Roadster'
Regards
Peter

Good drawing

gster 11-04-18 07:28 AM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 20644390)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ae405e51ba.jpg
Canadian bikes? Only one was made in Canada. I would pay the $69.95 for the Raleigh built 3 speed though.

I like that gold colour...

browngw 11-04-18 07:54 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20647314)
I like that gold colour...

Recently sold this 1972 Supercycle in gold. It too, came with the drop bars. I changed them to catch a larger audience. I let it go because it was a 21" frame.https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...02953f0e61.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...801e368a2a.jpg

gster 11-04-18 08:05 AM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 20647335)
Recently sold this 1972 Supercycle in gold. It too, came with the drop bars. I changed them to catch a larger audience. I let it go because it was a 21" frame.https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...02953f0e61.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...801e368a2a.jpg

I remember you had one..
Sharp looking bike in either trim.

BigChief 11-04-18 08:11 AM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 20647335)
Recently sold this 1972 Supercycle in gold. It too, came with the drop bars. I changed them to catch a larger audience. I let it go because it was a 21" frame.https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...02953f0e61.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...801e368a2a.jpg

Nice job on this one! I'm seriously considering using this color on a project. I have a 23" mid 70s Sports with shabby paint that might get gold paint and a S5.2 hub.

BigChief 11-04-18 10:56 PM

Here's an odd one. No idea of what could be right or wrong on this. Interesting though.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/bi...740576135.html

oldveloman 11-05-18 06:34 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20643054)
This can't be right...
I rebuilt the headset as I received it.
The lower race sits nicely inside the cup w/ 1/8" bearings.
The upper race sits proud of the cup and I can't imagine the BSA engineers would have done this.
So I need a smaller race or I might try swapping the upper cup with a Raleigh cup w/ a built in race.
I was right about the Tomfoolery and now dealing with Shenanigans as well.....

This is a ball as those used in the headset of my 1954 BSA Roadster:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...017695676b.jpg

Top of the set ( yes, someone painted the bike pretty badly... ) :

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ab04d885c1.jpg

And bottom:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...24c3d1ddd2.jpg

Peter

gster 11-05-18 06:49 AM


Originally Posted by oldveloman (Post 20648674)
This is a ball as those used in the headset of my 1954 BSA Roadster:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...017695676b.jpg

Top of the set ( yes, someone painted the bike pretty badly... ) :

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ab04d885c1.jpg

And bottom:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...24c3d1ddd2.jpg

Peter

Thanks,
Interesting that on your bike as well as the 1936, that the cups are flared into the steering tube as
opposed to separate chromed inserts. Hense, "Inserted cup head races" in the ad.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...03d7c0e27e.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6efb331c5d.jpg

On a positive note.
Someone before me spent some $$ to have the front wheel rebuilt.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6b9520fac4.jpg
The rim is rust free and the spokes all appear to be new.
This front wheel may migrate over to my Canadian Superbe which
came without a Dynohub.

Ballenxj 11-05-18 07:13 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20646220)

Haha, now that's funny, using a statue of Paul Revere for a tongue in cheek "The British are coming" statement. :roflmao:

BigChief 11-05-18 08:11 AM

+1 on that. The Superbe should have the dyno. Stainless spokes too...nice. Maybe you could build up wheels with CR-18s with a wide flange hub like the one in the catalog. Also...I found em! I have a pair of stirrup style brake levers that I salvaged from a 50s stepthrough. These were the type used on the less expensive Hercules models not the classy short reach levers shown in the catalog, but they are contemporary to the bike and more Birmingham than the ones you have now. Bugged me that I couldn't find them when I sent the spindle. I can be so disorganized.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3e7082d624.jpg

oldveloman 11-05-18 10:07 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20648687)
Thanks,
Interesting that on your bike as well as the 1936, that the cups are flared into the steering tube as
opposed to separate chromed inserts. Hense, "Inserted cup head races" in the ad.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...03d7c0e27e.jpg
On a positive note.
Someone before me spent some $$ to have the front wheel rebuilt.
The rim is rust free and the spokes all appear to be new.
This front wheel may migrate over to my Canadian Superbe which
came without a Dynohub.

The Tourer didn' t get a lot of alterations in its long production line...

Your frame is definitely a pre- Raleigh BSA (Streamline ?) frame, but that model was also produced after the Raleigh takeover, so maybe yours has a later - Raleigh period - fork replacement ?

Peter

Stenavpix 11-05-18 04:05 PM

1962 Royal 3 Speed
 
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have loved reading through this thread over the last couple of weeks! I recently found what I believe to be a 1962 Royal 3 Speed, or should I say it found me. :-) I did a week's worth of research before buying it for $25 at a thrift store and could find little info, especially photos of a bike like this. I could only find one photo of the head badge on UK Ebay. I had a long, descriptive post to share here with photos describing why I believe it's from 1962 and where it came from, but since I'm new I can't post them quite yet? When I tried, I got an error saying I can't post URLs since I'm new. Something about needing to have ten posts first? Is this true? Or did I do something wrong? Thanks in advance. :-)

Ballenxj 11-05-18 04:56 PM


Originally Posted by Stenavpix (Post 20649709)
I can't post them quite yet? When I tried, I got an error saying I can't post URLs since I'm new. Something about needing to have ten posts first? Is this true? Or did I do something wrong? T

That's true, and I believe the number of posts required is also correct. Most forums do this to prevent fly by spammers from posting links or images.

gster 11-05-18 05:13 PM


Originally Posted by Stenavpix (Post 20649709)
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have loved reading through this thread over the last couple of weeks! I recently found what I believe to be a 1962 Royal 3 Speed, or should I say it found me. :-) I did a week's worth of research before buying it for $25 at a thrift store and could find little info, especially photos of a bike like this. I could only find one photo of the head badge on UK Ebay. I had a long, descriptive post to share here with photos describing why I believe it's from 1962 and where it came from, but since I'm new I can't post them quite yet? When I tried, I got an error saying I can't post URLs since I'm new. Something about needing to have ten posts first? Is this true? Or did I do something wrong? Thanks in advance. :-)

Try just doing 9 quick posts or comments and see if that works.
Lots of knowledgeable members here to help with questions

gster 11-05-18 05:21 PM


Originally Posted by Stenavpix (Post 20649709)
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have loved reading through this thread over the last couple of weeks! I recently found what I believe to be a 1962 Royal 3 Speed, or should I say it found me. :-) I did a week's worth of research before buying it for $25 at a thrift store and could find little info, especially photos of a bike like this. I could only find one photo of the head badge on UK Ebay. I had a long, descriptive post to share here with photos describing why I believe it's from 1962 and where it came from, but since I'm new I can't post them quite yet? When I tried, I got an error saying I can't post URLs since I'm new. Something about needing to have ten posts first? Is this true? Or did I do something wrong? Thanks in advance. :-)

Is yours a:
-Royal?
-Royal Scott?
-Royal Prince?
-Royal Star?
-Royal Crown?
-Royal York?
-Royal Enfield?
Apparently, it was a very popular name...

clubman 11-05-18 05:28 PM

Is it a Royale with Cheese? ;)

I had a Royal...I think it was a Raleigh, can't remember

Stenavpix 11-05-18 05:45 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20649787)
Try just doing 9 quick posts or comments and see if that works.
Lots of knowledgeable members here to help with questions

Thanks. I was trying to avoid that! But here we go. lol

Stenavpix 11-05-18 05:47 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20649805)
Is it a Royale with Cheese? ;)

I had a Royal...I think it was a Raleigh, can't remember

I wish it had cheese! I love cheese Decals just saw "Royal". I've seen references to the others, but not just "Royal" And yes I believe it to be a Raleigh of some sort in that it was made right after Raleigh took over many smaller companies.

Stenavpix 11-05-18 05:49 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20649799)
Is yours a:
-Royal?
-Royal Scott?
-Royal Prince?
-Royal Star?
-Royal Crown?
-Royal York?
-Royal Enfield?
Apparently, it was a very popular name...

Sheldon Brown references a "Royal Scott" as a possibility for this one, but as I said in the previous post, everything on the bike just says "Royal"

Stenavpix 11-05-18 05:51 PM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 20649773)
That's true, and I believe the number of posts required is also correct. Most forums do this to prevent fly by spammers from posting links or images.

Totally understandable! I've been a member of various forums like this over the years and spammers stink!

clubman 11-05-18 05:53 PM

You might run into a 5 post daily limit. Tomorrow's another day.

browngw 11-05-18 08:23 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...44db6c42b0.jpg
These brakes are available if you need them @gster. Let me know.

BigChief 11-05-18 09:23 PM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 20650037)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...44db6c42b0.jpg
These brakes are available if you need them @gster. Let me know.

These look to be in better shape than mine. Personally, I would use these on the BSA. They have a vintage look to them and they are associated with the Birmingham bikes. Was BSA part of the TI buyout in the early 50s? I think it might have been. By the 50s they seemed to share a lot of parts between the different brands. It's so difficult to know much about pre Raleigh BSAs. They're so rare here in the US. I only have the catalogs to go by.

gster 11-06-18 06:55 AM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 20650037)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...44db6c42b0.jpg
These brakes are available if you need them @gster. Let me know.

Thank you for the offer but I have a nice pair of levers (brand unknown) that suit the project.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...87c9b522be.jpg
I haven't done much the last few days as, once again, work has interfered with fun...

gster 11-06-18 07:04 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20650107)
These look to be in better shape than mine. Personally, I would use these on the BSA. They have a vintage look to them and they are associated with the Birmingham bikes. Was BSA part of the TI buyout in the early 50s? I think it might have been. By the 50s they seemed to share a lot of parts between the different brands. It's so difficult to know much about pre Raleigh BSAs. They're so rare here in the US. I only have the catalogs to go by.

Research tells me that Raleigh bought out BSA in 1957.
I would say that BSA bicycles are equally rare here in Canada.
This might be the second one I've seen since I became interested in
British 3 Speeds.
The leather saddle is Pure City
They're currently on sale for a very reasonable $49.00 (US)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4b787e4fd.jpeg

https://www.purecycles.com/collectio...leather-saddle

Also a Swallow style, same price
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...53caa05ee.jpeg

gster 11-06-18 07:15 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20648768)
+1 on that. The Superbe should have the dyno. Stainless spokes too...nice. Maybe you could build up wheels with CR-18s with a wide flange hub like the one in the catalog. Also...I found em! I have a pair of stirrup style brake levers that I salvaged from a 50s stepthrough. These were the type used on the less expensive Hercules models not the classy short reach levers shown in the catalog, but they are contemporary to the bike and more Birmingham than the ones you have now. Bugged me that I couldn't find them when I sent the spindle. I can be so disorganized.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3e7082d624.jpg

Personally, I don't like this style with the double bolt, as I find it interferes with the trigger placement,
I like the ones with a clip and single bolt.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7619b52c0e.jpg
No sign of the spindle, yet. Canada is in the middle of a partial strike by the postal workers...
It's always something...

gster 11-06-18 07:27 AM


Originally Posted by Stenavpix (Post 20649838)
I wish it had cheese! I love cheese Decals just saw "Royal". I've seen references to the others, but not just "Royal" And yes I believe it to be a Raleigh of some sort in that it was made right after Raleigh took over many smaller companies.

Depending where you live, it may be a limited run bike made for a local hardware chain or automotive supply.
Here in Toronto I've seen Raleighs branded as "Canadiana" as well as "Rodeo" for Beaver Lumber Stores.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...66cdbd45af.jpg

gster 11-06-18 09:24 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20648768)
+1 on that. The Superbe should have the dyno. Stainless spokes too...nice. Maybe you could build up wheels with CR-18s with a wide flange hub like the one in the catalog. Also...I found em! I have a pair of stirrup style brake levers that I salvaged from a 50s stepthrough. These were the type used on the less expensive Hercules models not the classy short reach levers shown in the catalog, but they are contemporary to the bike and more Birmingham than the ones you have now. Bugged me that I couldn't find them when I sent the spindle. I can be so disorganized.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3e7082d624.jpg

I stand corrected, BC.
The spindle did arrive last night.
Thank you VERY much!
I appreciate the time and effort to ship and will
respond in kind.
It IS "REAL F#CKIN' GOOD"
Greg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3a99751a07.jpg

clubman 11-06-18 10:28 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20650469)
"Rodeo" for Beaver Lumber Stores.

My fave shop apron is from Beaver Lumber, I grew up near the one in old Weston, just down from the old CCM plant. Which is now condos, of course.

gster 11-06-18 11:09 AM

I remember that one..
Perhaps you'll remember this place...
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8675fa6904.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.