Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Pills and Ills (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   that will buff out, right? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1264810)

rumrunn6 12-15-22 12:13 PM

that will buff out, right?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0c983c3edb.jpg
thanks to grazing past an open set of snips in my basement. who knew they were so sharp? yeesh, it wasn't even my nice pair. yes, I closed them & locked them

can't even tell where I got 12 stiches when I was 15, approx. 50 yrs ago

Juan Foote 12-15-22 01:09 PM

Nothing some super glue can't fix.

Bald Paul 12-15-22 02:30 PM

Chicks dig scars.

BlazingPedals 12-20-22 01:11 PM

'Tis but a scratch:

canklecat 12-22-22 01:15 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the doc literally approximated that with super glue. I've had finger gashes and splits about like that and they just taped 'em together. The flesh healed with almost no visible scarring.

In one accident that crushed and nearly amputated my left index finger 20something years ago, the fingertip was dangling by a bit of connective tissue, with the blood vessels and nerves intact. Hardly even bled. But the fingertip healed with nothing more than a taped splint. I retained about 90% sensation in the fingertip, not bad considering how mangled it was. The fingernail bed looks a bit lumpy, and the nail regrew split in three places with the nail overlapping. I need to trim and file the nail every day or so to keep it from snagging. I got lucky with that one.

Only downside was I couldn't play guitar for months, and by the time I tried again my good fer nuttin cousin had stolen my favorite guitar. I'd quit playing live years earlier, never really was very good anyway, but kept one guitar that was too ugly to sell, but too good not to keep. It was an early 1980s Yamaha sorta-Strat style, made just enough different from the Strat to avoid legal issues from Fender. Despite the gouge in the wood on the front of the body and the questionable aesthetics, it had the nicest neck (real rosewood fingerboard) and rounded frets of any I'd played, with a nice tone from the dense mahogany body. It was a true blues, R&B and rock rhythm player's axe, which is all I was anyway. I rewired the guts and added a switch to turn on the three pickups in pairs, or "out of phase" (not technically correct, but close enough), which was great for a variety of clean and dirty tones. But I should have left the original staggered pole piece pickups intact. Instead I replaced two of them with Schecter stacked and potted humbuckers, which still sounded exactly like a classic single coil, minus the hum, no extra gain or punch. But I never played a gig where anyone cared about noise so it was pointless. And the original staggered pole piece pickups themselves were probably the most valuable thing on the guitar.

Anyway, after that I never really felt like playing again. I still pick up guitars every time I visit a pawn shop or a friend's home, but the bug has never bitten again. Can't blame the finger for that. I just lost the itch and moved on to other hobbies.

rumrunn6 12-22-22 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 22745951)
Anyway, after that I never really felt like playing again

:thumb:

reminds me when I was a kid I was taking guitar lessons w/ my brother. but then I burned a finger w/ my Creeple Peeple hot plastic toy set.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fa5f441449.png
that, combined w/ a blister from the guitar playing turned me off & my brother took off w/ it. he continued with that & I continued with other tinkering kinds of toys like model building

the finger is coming along just fine, keeping it covered. it's just a sensitive spot cuz when I was 15 I was working at McDonalds cooking breakfast & was at the restaurant before my shift. was joking w/ a buddy & a truck came in so I helped him unload boxes onto metals shelves. got my thumb caught between a box & a shelf just as I was letting go of the box & pulling my hand out. tore a flap of skin back, in a chevron shape. I screamed & the manager ran down then drove me to the ER. got 15 or 12 stitches I forget now how many but it was a lot. got extra time off & some workman's comp pay. went on vacation w/ my parents to the cape but couldn't go in the water due to the bandage

good times

I know lots of ppl that just don't like to use bandaids, etc. one friend, in his 20s, crushed his big toe under a car tire & just poured salt on it to keep it from getting infected. I was like dude just go to the hospital but he said he had done that in the past and not paid his bill so was afraid to go back :foo: ok that's not me, I like medical treatment

indyfabz 12-22-22 09:19 AM

I have a scar down the center of my sternum.

canklecat 12-23-22 01:21 AM

Heh, I had the Creeple People, Thingmaker and Plastigoop kits too. Not quite as dangerous as "Junior's First Atomic Reactor" kit but close enough to keep the pediatric docs busy for a few years until those things were discontinued and trashed by exasperated parents.

canklecat 12-23-22 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22746120)
I have a scar down the center of my sternum.

One of my cousin's kidlets has that. Had his first open heart surgery at two weeks old. After several more afterward for years. When he got older he called it his zipper, because it was opened so often for upgrades as his body grew. I think he's 16 now and apparently done with ticker maintenance, we hope.

indyfabz 12-23-22 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 22746911)
One of my cousin's kidlets has that. Had his first open heart surgery at two weeks old. After several more afterward for years. When he got older he called it his zipper, because it was opened so often for upgrades as his body grew. I think he's 16 now and apparently done with ticker maintenance, we hope.

I was 25 when I became the proud owner of a mechanical aortic valve at the age of 25. That was beyond the days of the zipper scar. I have synthetic wires in my sternum and staples that were removed a few days after the surgery. Think they might have used glue on the inside. It never occurred to me that a person still growing might need upgrades.