Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Chain lube (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253683)

Barrettscv 06-18-22 04:33 AM

Chain lube

I'm looking for a oil based chain lube that's compatible with the preservative found on Shimano chain. I say preservative, since the lube found on new chain is really just a rust preventive. I'd like a "wet", oil based chain and not a "dry" lube or an emulsion.

I normally wipe down the chain anytime it's obviously dirty, After removing the dust, I apply lube and wipe off the excess. I'll do this monthly and replace the chain once or twice a year. I never soak the chain with cleaner, I prefer to maintain oil between the pin, bushing and side plates.

Any recommendations?

Rolla 06-18-22 09:56 AM

Not sure what it means to be "compatible" with the stuff they put on new chains, but Muc-Off Wet Lube holds up well in most conditions.

Barrettscv 06-18-22 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22545913)
Not sure what it means to be "compatible" with the stuff they put on new chains, but Muc-Off Wet Lube holds up well in most conditions.

I'll give it a try. Some lube brands require that a new chain be cleaned to remove the factory preservative.

Rolla 06-18-22 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Barrettscv (Post 22545936)
I'll give it a try. Some lube brands require that a new chain be cleaned to remove the factory preservative.

Ah. I usually clean that stuff off anyway, regardless of the lube I'm using. It attracts/retains a lot of fine grit.

KJ43 06-18-22 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22546059)
Ah. I usually clean that stuff off anyway, regardless of the lube I'm using. It attracts/retains a lot of fine grit.

Same. I clean my new chains pretty soon since the factory lube gets dirty fast. I use Green Oil which lasts a long time and doesn't attract a lot of dirt.

mechanicmatt 06-18-22 06:30 PM

I like 3 lubes for the Chain...

Regular Triflow is a nice middle ground and can be lubing for all things needing lube.

Finish Line wet is heavier and last well in rainy environments but it will act like a heavy oil (dark stuff on your skin if you touch it)

Sometimes I clean with TriFlow and then wipe with a rag, then depending on conditions chose between TriFlow and FL Wet apply a light coat and wipe lightly off and good to go.

My favorite these days is Rock n Roll Gold though. Apply a generous amount to clean then wipe, then again to lube. It stays real clean and works awesome. That said the "lube" doesn't last quite as long. So reapplication is just a little bit more often, like once a month. But it is dirt simple and really keeps a clean chain.

I will use any of the 3 depending on what I have in the garage but RnR Gold is my favorite.

rumrunn6 06-18-22 08:46 PM

I've had bad luck w/ "wet" lube. a bit too gooey, for my taste

Rolla 06-18-22 09:30 PM

I’ve always heard that wet lube is great for people who like to clean and lube their chain often, and dry/wax lube is for those who like to leave it alone for a couple of weeks.

mstateglfr 06-19-22 07:05 AM

Every podcast and industry article I've consumed about chains in the last couple years has said to remove the factory lube as it gunks quickly and is slow.

Wet lube attracts gunk, dry lube attracts less.

Nothing I have used is similar tonthe Shimano stock stuff.

koala logs 06-21-22 02:35 AM

Or get a chain that doesn't rust. Those advertised as "silver plated" tends to be quite resistant from rusting and then just use any lube you like. They are not really more expensive than regular ones. Quite happy using them because I didn't have to clean and re-lube the chain every time I get caught in rain.

thejazz 06-23-22 01:33 AM

decathlon teflon lube is perfect

pdlamb 06-23-22 04:38 AM

I don't think I've ever run into a wet lube that's incompatible with the factory lube/preservative. It's only the high-zoot stuff racers need to minimize chain wattage losses that worry about that,.

trailangel 06-26-22 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22546521)
I’ve always heard that wet lube is great for people who like to clean and lube their chain often, and dry/wax lube is for those who like to leave it alone for a couple of weeks.

"I've always heard...."
Ya, where is this coming from. It's the opposite... you wax often..... but lube less with oil based lube.

Show me something that says the stuff that comes on modern chains is just a preservative. Of course it's preservative, but it's also a lube.... like a lightweight grease.

Just use Chain-L or bar & chain oil for your "wet" ness lube.

Rolla 06-26-22 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 22554505)
Ya, where is this coming from. It's the opposite... you wax often..... but lube less with oil based lube.

Depends on the conditions. Where it's dry and dusty, wet lube attracts and retains more dirt, requiring wiping down and reapplying more often. In a wet environment, dry lube doesn't last long at all.

chas58 06-26-22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 22554505)
"I've always heard...."

Show me something that says the stuff that comes on modern chains is just a preservative. Of course it's preservative, but it's also a lube.... like a lightweight grease.

Just use Chain-L or bar & chain oil for your "wet" ness lube.

Its in here somewhere if you really want to know. Convinced me to degrease every new chain I get.

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/03/nerd...or-your-needs/

dwmckee 06-26-22 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by chas58 (Post 22554635)
Its in here somewhere if you really want to know. Convinced me to degrease every new chain I get.

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/03/nerd...or-your-needs/

I do not see it in there. Generally I believe you degrease a new chain only if you plan on waxing it instead of oiling it.

Barrettscv 07-01-22 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by dwmckee (Post 22554916)
I do not see it in there. Generally I believe you degrease a new chain only if you plan on waxing it instead of oiling it.

About 5 minutes into the podcast, the speaker discribes factory lube as not bad, not great but explains that it's not compatible with many of the more exotic lubes, such as emulsions.

jlat 07-15-22 04:09 PM

hello people: I've been using stuff called dry lube. It still attacks dry dirt and seems to build crud. I still use it as I have a new bottle but I want to try something else. Before this, I would use WD-40 and whip it down after application. I heard about the dry lube and gave it a shot.
IBBY

Fentuz 07-16-22 01:37 AM

Personally, i prefer squirt. It works in any type of weather, does not mind wet condition (does not get washed off) and does not get very dusty in dry condition.

i tried mucoff wet lube and in winter it make a real mess. I tried mucoff dry lube and it seems to attract duct a lot.
reason I tied, muc off lube are 1/2 price of squirt.

jlat 07-16-22 06:16 AM

hello and hello people: next time I need to buy more lube I'll be given squirt a try. thanks
IBBY