Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

abshipp 07-24-20 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21603932)
Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if it's up by the weekend. It might be a few weeks.

Just saw that it affected their aviation stuff, too. Ouch. Sucks to be the poor SOB who was planning a cross-country this weekend and has an out of date database they can't update.

mvnsnd 07-24-20 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21604463)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9ace17ce0.jpeg

This morning I think I figured out my hand problem. My right hand sits naturally at the top of the hood and the only “pressure” is in the pocket in between my thumb and pointer.

My left arm and hand want to sit with my palm resting on the bar and more of my hand against the hood.

I can rotate my hand forward so it matches my right hand but it doesn’t feel natural, and I have to consciously think about keeping my hand in that position. It also causes my elbow to stick out at an angle, where my right forearm is parallel to the ground.

I knew my arms weren’t symmetrical, but being left handed I would have thought the problem would have been the other arm.

Could you try rotating the right brake lever inwards a bit to match your natural hand position?

MoAlpha 07-24-20 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21604626)
Two things from the morning ride:

1) Was it datlas that recently expressed chamois cream FOMO? I've still never used chamois cream, but I did use a somewhat analogous product that was recently recommended in the Greater 41 - some Gold Bond anti-friction stick that looks like an antiperspirant. It was... not bad. I don't feel like I *need* chamois cream, but there's usually an, um, adjustment period wherein I need to sort out pinching/rubbing. It's typically when I first get on the bike or when I get back on after a bathroom break, convenience store stop, un caffe, etc. No adjustment period today. That was nice.

I know what you mean: that "seating" process.

I used Body Glide®, which also came in a stick, for years when I was running. Lifesaving stuff.

LesterOfPuppets 07-24-20 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21599781)
I found out today that Facebook is good for something. I sold my gravel bike in less than two hours from posting to delivery. :thumb:

#N-1

Wow. I had a buyer for my bike on FB in less than an hour. I didn't exchange it 'til 12 hours later, but he seemed like a reasonable human, so I held the bike for him overnight. My messenger was blowing up all night from other people wanting it. Guess I'd better copy my other two bike sales from CL to FB.
Unfortunately bike parts aren't moving as quickly. Plus bike rims are languishing and pedals have gotten a couple of nibbles, but still sitting here a week later.

Good bye Pinky Tuscadero...

WhyFi 07-24-20 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21604686)
Wow. I had a buyer for my bike on FB in less than an hour. I didn't exchange it 'til 12 hours later, but he seemed like a reasonable human, so I held the bike for him overnight. My messenger was blowing up all night from other people wanting it. Guess I'd better copy my other two bike sales from CL to FB.
Unfortunately bike parts aren't moving as quickly. Plus bike rims are languishing and pedals have gotten a couple of nibbles, but still sitting here a week later.

Good bye Pinky Tuscadero...

When I eventually get around to it, maybe I'll list my wheels on FB. I do kind of like the relative anonymity of CL, though - I don't need people trying to contact me for post-sale support and/or kvetching.

BillyD 07-24-20 09:28 AM

Went to get examined for a new pair of eyeglasses yesterday. Turns out the left eye is significantly worse than the right eye, which accounts for the dreadful and frightening vision I experience when driving in the evening light.

Also, turns out being an AARP member saved me $150 off my new eyeglasses. :bday: So when you pups finally get old enough to become a member just keep in mind that the discounts can free up a lot of coin for bike stuff. ;) :50:

big john 07-24-20 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21604716)
Went to get examined for a new pair of eyeglasses yesterday. Turns out the left eye is significantly worse than the right eye, which accounts for the dreadful and frightening vision I experience when driving in the evening light.

Also, turns out being an AARP member saved me $150 off my new eyeglasses. :bday: So when you pups finally get old enough to become a member just keep in mind that the discounts can free up a lot of coin for bike stuff. ;) :50:

The right glasses made my night driving sooo much better. I can still drive in daylight without glasses, sort of, but at night it's a blur without the specs.

genejockey 07-24-20 09:51 AM

I need new glasses myself. Mine are Progressives, used to be called 'lineless bifocals' till some marketing genius realized that just the word 'bifocals' makes the wearer feel like an old. Anyway, the problem is that I'm doing so many Zoom meetings, and in order to focus on the screen I have to tilt my head back, which gives me a haughty, nose-in-the-air look. Of course, the solution is a set of 'computer glasses', but I don't really want to get that close to a stranger at the optometrist, what with all the slow agonizing death floating around. So, it's between my vanity and my health.....

berner 07-24-20 10:18 AM

One advantage of getting old enough for cataract surgery if you wear glasses is, after they pop in new lenses into your eye balls, you will only need glasses for the closest work. No more lenses fogging up at the worst possible times. For that close work, cheap readers are good enough.

big john 07-24-20 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21604760)
I need new glasses myself. Mine are Progressives, used to be called 'lineless bifocals' till some marketing genius realized that just the word 'bifocals' makes the wearer feel like an old. Anyway, the problem is that I'm doing so many Zoom meetings, and in order to focus on the screen I have to tilt my head back, which gives me a haughty, nose-in-the-air look. Of course, the solution is a set of 'computer glasses', but I don't really want to get that close to a stranger at the optometrist, what with all the slow agonizing death floating around. So, it's between my vanity and my health.....

Bifocals also suck when descending stairs. If I'm wearing mine I take them off if I have to go down any stairs.

My avatar pic is me wearing 3 pair of readers trying to read a map in the car. Mrs.John thought it was funny enough to snap a pic.

BillyD 07-24-20 10:22 AM

I wear progressives too, but I don't have the problem you describe. And at the vision center the have a face screen between you during the exam, plus the masks. I felt secure even after also being leery. They were cool.

BillyD 07-24-20 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by berner (Post 21604786)
One advantage of getting old enough for cataract surgery if you wear glasses is, after they pop in new lenses into your eye balls, you will only need glasses for the closest work. No more lenses fogging up at the worst possible times. For that close work, cheap readers are good enough.

It's going to take me a bit longer to adjust to the idea of an eye-slicing cataract procedure. Yikes! Maybe I'll need hypnosis.

But time is running out.

MoAlpha 07-24-20 10:26 AM

I got refracted in June. Not too scary and I survived. I occasionally have stair descending issues with my progressives and I don't wear them on the bike, but they're pretty good for everything else.

genejockey 07-24-20 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21604796)
It's going to take me a bit longer to adjust to the idea of an eye-slicing cataract procedure. Yikes! Maybe I'll need hypnosis.

But time is running out.

I briefly considers Lasik, till I discovered you're awake for the procedure, and what the procedure entails.

MoAlpha 07-24-20 10:32 AM

People tend to forget that ophthalmology is a surgical specialty.

bampilot06 07-24-20 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21604667)
Just saw that it affected their aviation stuff, too. Ouch. Sucks to be the poor SOB who was planning a cross-country this weekend and has an out of date database they can't update.

good thing we use jeps.

bampilot06 07-24-20 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 21604669)
Could you try rotating the right brake lever inwards a bit to match your natural hand position?

i could but it’s the left hand i have been having issues with. The link abshipp posted is kind of eye opening. Seems both hands are wrong, and instead of lowering the stem I may need a longer one. I also might try rotating my bars forward a degree or two so that the hoods are more parallel with the ground.

bampilot06 07-24-20 10:41 AM

put in an offer, they countered, we re engaged and now waiting for a response.

Bah Humbug 07-24-20 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21604716)

AARP is just a lobbying organization and will allow anyone over 18 to join. I joined for a year when I was 25 or so to get their unlimited 5% cashback card because that was the best at the time.

WhyFi 07-24-20 10:52 AM

Someone that chose the name Bah Humbug was an AARP member... the pieces - they're all coming together.

MoAlpha 07-24-20 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21604819)
good thing we use jeps.

Yeah, no Garmin on the boat. We use an iPad for a chart plotter.

Velo Vol 07-24-20 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21604841)
AARP is just a lobbying organization and will allow anyone over 18 to join. I joined for a year when I was 25 or so to get their unlimited 5% cashback card because that was the best at the time.

What's the best now?

Bah Humbug 07-24-20 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21604861)
What's the best now?

Citi Double Cash, at 2%. You can do better with Amex Blue Cash Preferred for gas, grocery, and pharmacy purchases, but for every purchase you're stuck at 2%. For a long time it was 1%; the 5% days were back before the credit crisis when the Federal Funds Rate was meaningfully above 0%, and had been for a long time and was assumed would continue so.

mvnsnd 07-24-20 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21604825)
i could but it’s the left hand i have been having issues with. The link abshipp posted is kind of eye opening. Seems both hands are wrong, and instead of lowering the stem I may need a longer one. I also might try rotating my bars forward a degree or two so that the hoods are more parallel with the ground.

Ahh. Just be aware that a longer stem will stretch you out and you will need to be flexible enough in the hips/back to ride in that position. If riding in the drops for long times is already OK, then a longer stem should also be OK.

Bah Humbug 07-24-20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21604844)
Someone that chose the name Bah Humbug was an AARP member... the pieces - they're all coming together.

I yam what I yam.

Also, get off my lawn, turn down off that damn music, and chew with your mouth closed.