Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

Mojo31 08-16-21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22187055)
What I wonder is, just how many people drive more than 200 miles at any given time more than once a year? I don't think I've EVER driven the Dodge 200 miles in a day, in 7 years of owning it. Probably a handful of trips >200 miles in the last 20 years. I suspect that's more the rule than the exception, even here in California.

I agree. With kids in school in Austin and College Station, we find ourselves driving the roughly 200 mile each way trips about 8 to 10 times a year. Otherwise, we wouldn't do it more than 1 or 2 times per year.

Mojo31 08-16-21 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22187065)
My friend leased one of the H powered Toyotas. A certain amount of free fuel was included in the lease but you have to get the fuel from a participating Toyota dealer. There was such a dealer on his wife's commute bu the car had too many problems and I think he got rid of it.

He had a electric Fit for his own 100 mile round trip commute and had a charge station at work. He had good luck with that car and even extended the lease until forced to return the car. Now he has an electric Kona and since there is a problem with the battery he has been offered a buy-back or some other concession.

I get free charging at Electrify America stations for three years. Problem is that the closes one is roughly 45 minutes away from my house. I'll probably never use it.

ksryder 08-16-21 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22187055)
What I wonder is, just how many people drive more than 200 miles at any given time more than once a year? I don't think I've EVER driven the Dodge 200 miles in a day, in 7 years of owning it. Probably a handful of trips >200 miles in the last 20 years. I suspect that's more the rule than the exception, even here in California.

Not that uncommon in the midwest. Not everyone is doing it every day, but a not insignificant number are. Several years ago when I was living way out in the boondocks I was driving that distance one way every weekend to see a girl. I've since gotten older and wiser but it was a thing.

big john 08-16-21 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22187070)
I get free charging at Electrify America stations for three years. Problem is that the closes one is roughly 45 minutes away from my house. I'll probably never use it.

Are they building more charge stations and is there a chance one could be built near your kid's school?

LAJ 08-16-21 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22187065)
My friend leased one of the H powered Toyotas. A certain amount of free fuel was included in the lease but you have to get the fuel from a participating Toyota dealer. There was such a dealer on his wife's commute bu the car had too many problems and I think he got rid of it.

He had a electric Fit for his own 100 mile round trip commute and had a charge station at work. He had good luck with that car and even extended the lease until forced to return the car. Now he has an electric Kona and since there is a problem with the battery he has been offered a buy-back or some other concession.

I heard it's like a whole little subculture for the hydrogen fuel cars out there. Knowing which station has fuel, which one isn't frozen up and the ones that don't have lines. Since it sometimes take a while to fuel them, a line of 3 may be daunting. Fuel remaining vs a station within range = it better have fuel otherwise it gets towed.

Mojo31 08-16-21 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22187103)
Are they building more charge stations and is there a chance one could be built near your kid's school?

I believe they are still building it out. They seem to be only on the interstates right now. There is one half-way to Austin and another in Austin where my daughter lives.

While we go past one on the way to my son's place, it is far enough away from our destination that it would be tight to recharge there and try to make it back there on the charge 2 or 3 days later. His school is not close to any interstate, and half the trip is on a state highway.

LesterOfPuppets 08-16-21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22186234)

Here's a pic I took of Pilot Butte during a bike ride around it - such a magnificent formation.. I'm more of a circumnavigation kinda guy than climbing to the top kinda guy :)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...882e6607cd.jpg

DougRNS 08-16-21 04:09 PM

I'm skeptical of battery power.

Velo Vol 08-16-21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22187133)

Hard to find a more desolate place in the lower 48. Sad.

genejockey 08-16-21 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22187159)

I assure you, it exists.

genejockey 08-16-21 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22187163)

Yeah. Needs a trailer park, a McDonalds, and a Walmart.
/sarcasm

Trsnrtr 08-16-21 04:26 PM

My son has two E cars and another on order. Both charge overnight, of course. One is driven by his two boys and is basically an urban vehicle so it never runs out of charge. The other is a family car and besides charging at home, we have numerous chargers in our immediate area. For really long travel, he still owns a gas hog.

gnome 08-16-21 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22187043)
Chevron had 106 octane "Custom Supreme" when I was a ute. 4 to 5 grams of tetra ethyl lead per gallon. You may recall they found lead in the tundra of Greenland, lead in mother's milk. Or maybe you were too young.

The only 100 octane leaded fuel available was only for race cars and jet boats. But when they removed the lead from the petrol here the aromatics that they put in the fuel to maintain the octane rate ate the rubber lines and seals on some of the older cars, which either leaked fuel everywhere or occasionally caught fire. They then decided that replacing a toxin with carcinogens wasn't the brightest move. So regulated for lower levels of benzine and other aromatics and the fuel companies had to just refine the fuel better to maintain the octane rating.

Velo Vol 08-16-21 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22187159)

What would make you believe?

LesterOfPuppets 08-16-21 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22187163)

It looks more desolate from a distance, but it's only 8 miles as the crow flies from Rock Springs City Hall

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a0094f3afe.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c3e491622b.jpg

big john 08-16-21 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22187125)
I heard it's like a whole little subculture for the hydrogen fuel cars out there. Knowing which station has fuel, which one isn't frozen up and the ones that don't have lines. Since it sometimes take a while to fuel them, a line of 3 may be daunting. Fuel remaining vs a station within range = it better have fuel otherwise it gets towed.

Some years ago G.M. had fleets of H powered Equinoxes and other cars. They had a fuel station at the training center and lots of activity there with GM people milling about. I asked "Where is the hydrogen power going". The answer "nowhere".

big john 08-16-21 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22187181)
The only 100 octane leaded fuel available was only for race cars and jet boats. But when they removed the lead from the petrol here the aromatics that they put in the fuel to maintain the octane rate ate the rubber lines and seals on some of the older cars, which either leaked fuel everywhere or occasionally caught fire. They then decided that replacing a toxin with carcinogens wasn't the brightest move. So regulated for lower levels of benzine and other aromatics and the fuel companies had to just refine the fuel better to maintain the octane rating.

We had methyl tertiary butyl ether or MTBE. Nasty stuff and they were allowed to phase it out over years.

Velo Vol 08-16-21 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22187204)
It looks more desolate from a distance, but it's only 8 miles as the crow flies from Rock Springs City Hall

No crows to make the flight.

big john 08-16-21 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22187127)
I believe they are still building it out. They seem to be only on the interstates right now. There is one half-way to Austin and another in Austin where my daughter lives.

While we go past one on the way to my son's place, it is far enough away from our destination that it would be tight to recharge there and try to make it back there on the charge 2 or 3 days later. His school is not close to any interstate, and half the trip is on a state highway.

Do you have a portable 110 volt charge unit? I know they're slow but if you were someplace for a couple days it might work for you, provided you could park near an outlet.

LesterOfPuppets 08-16-21 05:26 PM

In other Sweetwater County news, Spaceport Days are right around the corner!

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...05&oe=611F1957

DougRNS 08-16-21 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22187202)
What would make you believe?

if it worked as advertised.

MoAlpha 08-16-21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22186438)
Happy National Tell a Joke Day.

What's brown and sounds like a bell?

What’s brown and sticky?

DougRNS 08-16-21 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22187267)
In other Sweetwater County news, Spaceport Days are right around the corner!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...70e925f7fd.jpg

Reminds me of this

DougRNS 08-16-21 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22187271)
What’s brown and sticky?

sticky buns.

MoAlpha 08-16-21 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22187277)
sticky buns.

Well, semantically correct, but not the answer to the riddle.