Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

Velo Vol 12-27-21 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22352934)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...40285d64ce.jpg
Apparently you learned something today.:bday:

We aren't the ones who needed the point.

phrantic09 12-27-21 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22352919)
I think it's 2 000 per person. It's a FAMILY policy. If I were single/no kids, it would be approx 1/2 that cost. Still too high.

Is this through your practice? Does that include money into your HSA?

indyfabz 12-27-21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22352908)
That s a major issue for us. We currently pay $30K/year for a fairly crappy policy with a high deductible. It must be budgeted for until age 65.

#Whatacountry!

I'm spoiled right now. I pay about $110/month for health (including Rx coverage), dental, vision and accidental D&D insurance (the last one is free). The health has a $1,500/year deductible then it pays 80/20 in network, with a max out of pocket of $5,000/year. (I've actually hit that twice.) But...my employer matches my HSA contributions dollar-for-dollar up to $1,500/year, so that covers my deductible. That's a big nut to give up.

phrantic09 12-27-21 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22352965)
I'm spoiled right now. I pay about $110/month for health (including Rx coverage), dental, vision and accidental D&D insurance (the last one is free). The health has a $1,500/year deductible then it pays 80/20 in network, with a max out of pocket of $5,000/year. (I've actually hit that twice.) But...my employer matches my HSA contributions dollar-for-dollar up to $1,500/year, so that covers my deductible. That's a big nut to give up.

Yah, I’m at $1,900 deductible which I can reduce to $900 through healthy lifestyle activities and cover my wife and I for about $180 a month. The rest is subsidized by my employer.

LAJ 12-27-21 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22352858)
Let me know if you figure out how to do that.

I'll package it, but I'll make sure you get in on the first run.

Mojo31 12-27-21 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22352926)
Full disclosure, the health insurance is paid with pre-tax dollars, so the effective "cost" to me is approx 70% of 30K i.e. $21K.

Still pricey.

Same boat. But, even though I get Medicare in 2022, I have a wife that is 11 years younger so have to continue insurance for her.

Koyote 12-27-21 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22352904)
My biggest fear/unknown is the cost of health care between 60, when I will almost certainly leave my current job (in 3.25 years), and 65. No idea what it would cost on the open market.

I'm a couple years older than you and have been semi-retired for about four years. My much-much younger wife will keep working until I am at least Medicare eligible, and then when she eventually retires (she'll still be well under 65), I'll start collecting on SS -- and probably use the whole check each month for her medical insurance.

Reducing the Medicare eligibility age to 60 (or even lower) would probably free up plenty of job opportunities for younger workers.

indyfabz 12-27-21 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22352970)
Yah, I’m at $1,900 deductible which I can reduce to $900 through healthy lifestyle activities and cover my wife and I for about $180 a month. The rest is subsidized by my employer.

One thing I neglected to mention is that my ultimate cost is reduced by the credit I get for rejecting the free, 3X my salary in life insurance benefit I am entitled to and instead opting for the minimum required, which is $10K. (I have no need for life insurance. Don't know why my employer makes me take some. The named beneficiaries are two friends of mine.) Until maybe three years ago, the credit I was given was much larger that it is now. In fact, it was so large that for a couple of years I not only paid nothing out of my paycheck for my benefits I actually had money added to my paycheck every two weeks. IIRC, the last year it happened I got around $900. (Taxable, of course.) That all ended when my employer sat down and figured out how much I was actually saving it my rejecting the 3X life insurance.

rjones28 12-27-21 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22352719)

Tweets aren't maps.

datlas 12-27-21 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22352961)
Is this through your practice? Does that include money into your HSA?

It is indeed through work. No HSA.

big john 12-27-21 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22352976)
I'll package it, but I'll make sure you get in on the first run.

You'll make Bezos look poor if you do that.

Koyote 12-27-21 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22353002)
One thing I neglected to mention is that my ultimate cost is reduced by the credit I get for rejecting the free, 3X my salary in life insurance benefit I am entitled to and instead opting for the minimum required, which is $10K. (I have no need for life insurance. Don't know why my employer makes me take some. The named beneficiaries are two friends of mine.) Until maybe three years ago, the credit I was given was much larger that it is now. In fact, it was so large that for a couple of years I not only paid nothing out of my paycheck for my benefits I actually had money added to my paycheck every two weeks. IIRC, the last year it happened I got around $900. (Taxable, of course.) That all ended when my employer sat down and figured out how much I was actually saving it my rejecting the 3X life insurance.

You were probably saving more than enough to buy the same life insurance yourself.

LAJ 12-27-21 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22353027)
You'll make Bezos look poor if you do that.

True. Best I can do is ride a bike and lift weights. That'll never sell though.

seedsbelize2 12-27-21 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22352563)
I was sleepy/bored, so I went to bed early. I wake up thinking it to be about 5 a.m. and it's not even 3 a.m. yet. Now what am I supposed to do?

Lesson learned.

I did exactly that. It's not an infrequent thing. Sometimes I'll whip up a tumbler of instant coffee. One sip takes the edge off of whatever is keeping me from going back to sleep. Sometimes. At other times, I finish the cup and have another one, while wiling away the early morning hours.

WhyFi 12-27-21 03:18 PM

I took a little trip up to REI Richmond, to pick up some bibs that I'd had shipped there, and then met up with ol' Dan333SP for a spin around the city. Always good to catch up with other Addicts IRL.

ls01 12-27-21 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22352809)
UPS now sez TODAY for the Litespeed! “I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a schoolboy. I am as giddy as a drunken man. A merry Christmas to everybody! A happy New Year to all the world!"

It's a set up! Don't fall for it!

indyfabz 12-27-21 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22353018)
It is indeed through work. No HSA.

I’m not totally surprised. Our former paralegal is married to a highly respected pediatric immunologist who works for a major hospital in town. They took his coverage because it was better and less expensive than what she was offered. Blew my mind a bit.

seedsbelize2 12-27-21 03:34 PM

Our monthly retirement income is about what many of you would spend on a wheel set. But our expenses are extremely low as well(We couldn't do it in the USA). We have great medical, for around a thousand a year, each, through the Mexican government. And we have some savings/inheritance put aside. We've been living like this though, for our entire adult lives, even before we got together 35 years ago. It's just a different way of relating to the world.

genejockey 12-27-21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22353112)
It's a set up! Don't fall for it!

I don't need that kind of negativity!

seedsbelize2 12-27-21 03:40 PM

Booster is in the arm. What a load off to finally have it. Pfizer March and April, and Astra Zeneca today. Vamos a ver. And I got it early enough that I was able to do the city thing the same day. I thought it would be two. I picked up my refurbished weedeater. New carb, fuel filter, fuel lines, spark plug, and one thing I have to look up to translate. Parts and labor came to US$60. Today was a good day.

seedsbelize2 12-27-21 03:46 PM

We moved into the rainforest in southern Belize when we were 49. During the six years we were there I aged backward. Not chronologically, of course, but I came out younger than when I went in.

genejockey 12-27-21 04:11 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...86a33f7e6c.jpg

(Looks at watch. Compares with clock. drums fingers on table. Looks at watch again and sees 30 seconds have passed. Drums fingers on table some more)

Mojo31 12-27-21 04:20 PM

Sitting in Flagstaff waiting on our plane to arrive from DFW. Currently 4 hours delayed.

WhyFi 12-27-21 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22353155)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...86a33f7e6c.jpg

(looks at watch. Compares with clock. Drums fingers on table. Looks at watch again and sees 30 seconds have passed. Drums fingers on table some more)

f5.

F5.

F5 f5 f5 f5.

big john 12-27-21 04:29 PM

I put the new shift cable on the Seven, still hard to move the lever. I think the shifter is gunked up or binding inside. Will get a better feel for it tomorrow on the road.
Also it's been dropping the chain on front shifts both ways but I can't tighten the limit screws any more or it won't shift. It's been getting worse since I got the used crankset. The 50 tooth ring is probably fubar. Next I should put the old 50 on there and see what it does.

After that I should just get a new bike.