Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

big john 04-04-22 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22461949)
Today, downsizing our house would cost us more than we paid for this one. We paid $430k for 4k sq. Ft. In 2008. Several years ago we looked at a 3k house about two miles away. The list price was $750k. Prices have gone up since. That doesn’t make sense to me. Plus, don’t need to downsize, really like our place, and I’m not really ready to quit. I am moving to a 4 day week as much as I can.

Oh I know. If you wanted to get rid of the house you'd have to move someplace cheaper. I didn't mean that, I meant downsizing financially and it was a tongue in cheek suggestion at that. You've certainly forgotten more about money and money management than I'll ever know.:)

ls01 04-04-22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22461315)
Ooof. Looking at the first pic I thought for sure he rear-ended a pickup or tractor-trailer, but nope, single vehicle accident, looks like he tucked the nose under a guard rail.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPQqUMcX...jpg&name=large

That'll buff right out...

Mojo31 04-04-22 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22461989)
Oh I know. If you wanted to get rid of the house you'd have to move someplace cheaper. I didn't mean that, I meant downsizing financially and it was a tongue in cheek suggestion at that. You've certainly forgotten more about money and money management than I'll ever know.:)

Lol, I’m not so sure about that!

Last kid is off the payroll in January, and wedding will be over. Those are our two biggest expense items right now. After that who knows.

I’d be bored not working now, but I am enjoying three day weekends.

Mojo31 04-04-22 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22461997)
That'll buff right out...

That and a respray. Final bill - $120,000.

genejockey 04-04-22 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22461885)
Me neither.

I talked to a friend who has been a mentor since law school. He’s now 77, and still practicing! My target is 67, but that might be a dream.

I probably mentioned my Dad retired at about 74, then within a year or so the company begged him to come back and run a line nobody else could figure out. Finally retired for good and all at 78, then lived another 22 years.

My older brothers both retired at 70, and my oldest sister is on the verge of retiring at 74. The other two sisters didn't so much retire as stop working. One because her husband, working for the DoD, was stationed in other countries, and the other because she could.

abshipp 04-04-22 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22461671)
Long story, but our relationship has a history with oak leaves, they were even printed on our wedding stationery... but uh... yeah, that's gonna be a "no" from me, dog.

Sounds like it's time for a CNC router :innocent:

ls01 04-04-22 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22461330)
my last 2 phones cost about $300 each and they work fine. Not giving big tech more than I have to.
YMMV

This is a Samsung s10 plus. Was $1k 2 years ago when it came out. This is my laptop/entertainment system. It came in real handy when I was out in a truck all day. It's a necessity I guess I'm trying to say.

ls01 04-04-22 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22461664)
I wonder if 7900 also eats cables? Ah, well, that's academic anyway, since I wasn't going to build with that group in any case. I've been thinking 6800 or 8000 for the Litespeed, since "Ultimate" and "Ultegra" seem to go together and I can't afford any form of 11 speed Dura Ace no matter how used.

My buddy Scott has the D/a 8 billionty, 11 speed with the hidden cables. He rides a lot. Last yeabillionth, shifter ate the cable in Kentucky on our annual trip. Bike was only a year old.

ls01 04-04-22 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22461678)
Wait, is the ferule the anchor doo-dad or is it the end cap? If it's the cap what is the anchor thing??

always called it the barrel.. Ferul goes on the housing end

seedsbelize2 04-04-22 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22461942)
Terrible.

Indeed. It's really a blow. He left a wife and two young sons.

big john 04-04-22 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22462000)

I’d be bored not working now, but I am enjoying three day weekends.

I got the impression you enjoyed your work. Truth is I did enjoy aspects of mine, but parts of it sucked. People warned me that I would be bored and I thought it might be an issue. If I do start to feel bored I just think it's better than being at work.

Funny, one of the guys at my old job who is now over 70 is still working there, miserable as ever. I asked him why he didn't retire and he said he would get bored. I was there a few weeks ago and he said he was thinking about it again and the other guys told me he still gripes every day. He even works 7 days a week sometimes as he has keys to the shop.

ls01 04-04-22 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22461882)
Which part?

I wonder if anybody else with a 2022 madone has these troubles.

Take it back to the shop and have them show you. If they can't get it then get Trek involved. Your hobby shouldn't be that frustrating to you.

Trsnrtr 04-04-22 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22462004)
I probably mentioned my Dad retired at about 74, then within a year or so the company begged him to come back and run a line nobody else could figure out. .

I used to golf with a guy that had this happen to him. One day, he told me he wouldn't be able to play for awhile because he was going back to work for a few weeks. The large manufacturing company that he retired from was starting up a line of machines that had been modified over the years and had then been moth-balled. When it came time to start up the line, nobody knew how the machines worked. He said it was no big deal to get everything running, but the youngsters had no idea what to do.

This can happen when companies downsize or whatever. They buy out, force out, or retire off workers and they lose an incredible amount of institutional knowledge.

ls01 04-04-22 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22461878)
My planned 40 turned into 32 because of this nonsense

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e020cad73.jpeg

That’s 2 links on this chain in the past month

I'd chuck it before you get hurt. I broke a chain once and it just about put me over the bars. I racked the boys on the stem and bruised my lower gut too.

genejockey 04-04-22 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22462036)
I used to golf with a guy that had this happen to him. One day, he told me he wouldn't be able to play for awhile because he was going back to work for a few weeks. The large manufacturing company that he retired from was starting up a line of machines that had been modified over the years and had then been moth-balled. When it came time to start up the line, nobody knew how the machines worked. He said it was no big deal to get everything running, but the youngsters had no idea what to do.

This can happen when companies downsize or whatever. They buy out, force out, or retire off workers and they lose an incredible amount of institutional knowledge.

Though in this case, it was a brand new line. You know those blow-molded cups with the mylar top that things like yogurt or applesauce come in? That. It was all new back then. There was, as I recall a German blowmolder, a French sterilizer and a British computer to run it all. The first run of applesauce on that line all blew up in the warehouse. So they brought Dad in to get it running because he was a problem solver. I got that from him.

big john 04-04-22 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22462034)
Your hobby shouldn't be that frustrating to you.

Obviously you've not seen me climb.

Velo Vol 04-04-22 08:36 PM

Bad news, BillyD

genejockey 04-04-22 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22462054)

You say that, but we all know you choose the rides with the climbs.

WhyFi 04-04-22 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22462007)
Sounds like it's time for a CNC router :innocent:

Oh, I would love one... but I need about umpteen other things before we get to that.

rjones28 04-04-22 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22461878)
My planned 40 turned into 32 because of this nonsense

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e020cad73.jpeg

That’s 2 links on this chain in the past month

Nice tool.

M19?

rjones28 04-04-22 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22462056)

Everybody knows this.

phrantic09 04-05-22 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22462037)
I'd chuck it before you get hurt. I broke a chain once and it just about put me over the bars. I racked the boys on the stem and bruised my lower gut too.

This one is probably on me, that appears to be the link I replaced

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22462080)
Nice tool.

M19?

Yes

ls01 04-05-22 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22462054)

lol. I'm with you on that one.

indyfabz 04-05-22 04:21 AM

Better luck next time.

Wordle 290 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟩🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Trsnrtr 04-05-22 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22462044)
Though in this case, it was a brand new line. You know those blow-molded cups with the mylar top that things like yogurt or applesauce come in? That. It was all new back then. There was, as I recall a German blowmolder, a French sterilizer and a British computer to run it all. The first run of applesauce on that line all blew up in the warehouse. So they brought Dad in to get it running because he was a problem solver. I got that from him.

Good story. :thumb: