Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

datlas 06-03-22 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22529701)
I wish they’d just use realistic people in the size guide photos. I don’t care of Rueben is 6 feet tall and wears a small, because Reuben clearly weighs 135 pounds.

Hey, I haven't weighed that little since I gave up Triathlon. Up to about 141 last time I checked.

Possibly NOT too fat for this sport.

#TallSmall

BillyD 06-03-22 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22529638)
It was a year in April, according to my nosey search.

btw where is LAJ?

Taking a Vol-style hiatus I imagine.

big john 06-03-22 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22529735)
I hate that? Every sentence sounds like a question?

Mrs John calls them "uptalkers".

big john 06-03-22 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22529733)
Last year, after I'd gotten down to the neighborhood of 200 lbs and kept it off for a while, I got new pants in a smaller waist size. They fit!!! Then I saw Louis Garneau FitSensor 2 bibs on sale. I figured I'd gone down a size, so I bought 2 pair of L, vs the XL I'd been wearing for years.

Turns out, the L bibs have SIGNIFICANTLY shorter legs. So short, in fact, that I cannot wear them to ride outside. Think "women's shorts" length. They're relegated to Zwfting. This is too bad, because otherwise they fit fine and do a good job keeping everything in place.

I've been using Pearl Izumi shorts for years because they have an XXL which seems to fit, at least until they get old and stretch out. They change everything once I settle on a model I like. A couple years back they released "Pursuit Attack" shorts, or something. I got 2 pair and found them to be the best fit yet. 2 weeks ago I tried to order more and they no longer offer Pursuit Attack, now it's just Attack. I ordered 2 pair and the first ride they seemed snug, but fine. I washed them and the second ride they are too tight and they seem to be fraying on the front of the legs. frack.

I got a Garneau XXL jersey and it really shows my fat rolls. It's hard for me to reach into the pockets, even off the bike. I also have a XXL Gore jersey which I will not wear outside but it works great as a base layer in cooler weather.

genejockey 06-03-22 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22529817)
Mrs John calls them "uptalkers".

I believe that's the actual terminology. It drives me nuts when I hear it on the radio or TV, from someone educated who's an expert on something, and they talk like that.

DougRNS 06-03-22 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22529735)
I hate that? Every sentence sounds like a question?

ok boomer jones

MoAlpha 06-03-22 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22529798)
Hey, I haven't weighed that little since I gave up Triathlon. Up to about 141 last time I checked.

Possibly NOT too fat for this sport.

#TallSmall

I have been lifting three times a week and slamming the protein, trying to get up to 150 for Newport-Bermuda.

Did you know that after age 55, lean body mass (controlled for height) is one of the strongest predictors of longevity? The effect size is larger than smoking.

datlas 06-03-22 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22529839)
I believe that's the actual terminology. It drives me nuts when I hear it on the radio or TV, from someone educated who's an expert on something, and they talk like that.

Only thing worse than that is vocal fry. Or maybe both, combined.

genejockey 06-03-22 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22529828)
I've been using Pearl Izumi shorts for years because they have an XXL which seems to fit, at least until they get old and stretch out. They change everything once I settle on a model I like. A couple years back they released "Pursuit Attack" shorts, or something. I got 2 pair and found them to be the best fit yet. 2 weeks ago I tried to order more and they no longer offer Pursuit Attack, now it's just Attack. I ordered 2 pair and the first ride they seemed snug, but fine. I washed them and the second ride they are too tight and they seem to be fraying on the front of the legs. frack.

I got a Garneau XXL jersey and it really shows my fat rolls. It's hard for me to reach into the pockets, even off the bike. I also have a XXL Gore jersey which I will not wear outside but it works great as a base layer in cooler weather.

The LG FitSensor 2 bibs worked for me for years, then they replace them with FitSensor 3. I bought a pair of those, with great trepidation. Luckily, they fit. The padding over the sit bones is thicker than I like, but not terrible.

The same Performance sale where I bought the Castelli kit, I bought some Performance Elite bibs. They fit fine, but as I ride the legs keep crawling up into the crotch area. I end up having to keep pulling the legs back down. Then there was the pair from The Black Bibs. Great fit, but the material was so slick I slid all over and I had to keep pushing my butt back to the back of the saddle. It broke my heart to have to toss them, but they were absolutely useless to me.

Velo Vol 06-03-22 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22529600)
Honestly it probably does not matter, but go with what works best for your application.

wut kind of answer is this?

You're supposed to have Velo Vol's back!

DougRNS 06-03-22 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22529757)
As long as it's not constricting your breathing.

I've heard some people like that.

Velo Vol 06-03-22 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22529636)
boomers invented Microsoft and Apple. Hold.my beer.

I see this is a sensitive issue for you.

datlas 06-03-22 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22529855)

I was not aware. Did I miss the memo??

genejockey 06-03-22 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22529847)
Only thing worse than that is vocal fry. Or maybe both, combined.

Yeah. Mrs. GeneJockey and I sometimes say, when hearing a particularly extreme example, "Would you like some vocal fry with that?"

genejockey 06-03-22 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22529855)
wut kind of answer is this?

"You haven't seen the last of me, Danger!"
"No, but the first of you turns my stomach!"

genejockey 06-03-22 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22529841)
ok boomer jones

Quality.

indyfabz 06-03-22 01:00 PM

Remember that light I ordered through Amazon that came with the mounting bracket, the charging cord, the instructions but not the actual light itself? Amazon shipped me a replacement that came with the charging cord, the instructions but not the actual light itself. I **** you not.

genejockey 06-03-22 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22529886)
Remember that light I ordered through Amazon that came with the mounting bracket, the charging cord, the instructions but not the actual light itself? Amazon shipped me a replacement that came with the charging cord, the instructions but not the actual light itself. I **** you not.

Perfect.

phrantic09 06-03-22 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22529764)
Nope. Fabulously stretchy - it's just a very clingy look, which requires a whole 'nother level of lack of modesty/self-consciousness.

My Eliel jersey is like that, it looks painted on but is also super comfy

phrantic09 06-03-22 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22529866)
Yeah. Mrs. GeneJockey and I sometimes say, when hearing a particularly extreme example, "Would you like some vocal fry with that?"

My 9 year old makes fun of the vocal fry constantly. On some baking show she likes there’s a woman who has a pretty noticeable one and every statement sounds like a question. Whenever it happens, my daughter asks the woman on TV if she’s sure.

datlas 06-03-22 01:19 PM

I know that mass-start gravel races are a "no rules, just right" type of event. That said, I saw a video of a recent gravel race (Gravel Locos) and was surprised to see clip-on aero bars on several of the bikes. Don't we think these are unwise for non-time trial, mass start racing? Am I missing something??

Velo Vol 06-03-22 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22529905)
Am I missing something??

If you're watching gravel racing, yes.

indyfabz 06-03-22 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22529889)
Perfect.

My mind is blown. I got a refund. At least my old light works with the new mounting bracket. I only bought the damn thing because my old mounting bracket broke and I could not source a new one. The net result is that I got two free mounting brackets and two new charging cords.

datlas 06-03-22 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22529921)
If you're watching gravel racing, yes.

So helpful

Trakhak 06-03-22 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22529638)
It was a year in April, according to my nosey search.

btw where is LAJ?

Good question. Just noticed that Lazyass hasn't posted in a while, too. Always worrying when frequent posters disappear suddenly.