Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

seedsbelize2 08-17-22 04:51 AM

Wordle 424 3/6
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
A missed opportunity.

phrantic09 08-17-22 04:56 AM

Tape looks good

datlas 08-17-22 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22613152)
Wordle 424 3/6
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
A missed opportunity.

3 is good. Took me 4.

datlas 08-17-22 05:09 AM

Daughter #2 leaves today to head back to LA.

#bittersweet

datlas 08-17-22 05:41 AM

Time to ride!

Trsnrtr 08-17-22 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22613158)
3 is good. Took me 4.

Same.

Trsnrtr 08-17-22 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22613176)
Time to ride!

Off to see my family doc and then time to ride!

seedsbelize2 08-17-22 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22613178)
Often to see my family doc and then time to ride!

I rode yesterday. An off day today.

Mojo31 08-17-22 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22613112)
So close to a tre.

Wordle 424 4/6

🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tres.

Wordle 424 3/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 08-17-22 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22613049)
For hydraulic breaks or martinis?

I needed a martini when I got done cursing myself for dropping the thing.

It was for hydraulic brakes.

Mojo31 08-17-22 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22613164)

#bittersweet

I know. Took our son back to school on Sunday.

bampilot06 08-17-22 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22613250)
I know. Took our son back to school on Sunday.

I have 14 more years before I have to worry about this.

bampilot06 08-17-22 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22613197)
I rode yesterday. An off day today.

What’s an off day?

bampilot06 08-17-22 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22613164)

#bittersweet

So my wife has already said our kids are going to school in state, no exceptions. I brought up your situation, and that got a door slammed in my face.

I blame my future son, but what do I know.

Mojo31 08-17-22 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22613258)
So my wife has already said our kids are going to school in state, no exceptions. I brought up your situation, and that got a door slammed in my face.

I blame my future son, but what do I know.

What's wrong with in state?

You have UVA and Washington and Lee to choose from.

Both of mine went in-state, and they seem fine. They haven't been radicalized (except perhaps the Aggie) and are not experiencing any weird growths.

mvnsnd 08-17-22 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22613210)
I needed a martini when I got done cursing myself for dropping the thing.

It was for hydraulic brakes.

A flashlight on the floor shining across the floor will highlight stuff like that and make it easy to find.

Mojo31 08-17-22 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 22613274)
A flashlight on the floor shining across the floor will highlight stuff like that and make it easy to find.

Yep, I do that. Also helps to get down to the floor and look across it rather than look down at it.

I found it about 10' away from the bike and under the base board trim and under a lawn blower that was sitting there.

I've been knows to vacuum floors and then sift through the bag contents to find such things. I also gently sweep the area with a broom, and that often helps.

bampilot06 08-17-22 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22613268)
What's wrong with in state?

You have UVA and Washington and Lee to choose from.

Both of mine went in-state, and they seem fine. They haven't been radicalized (except perhaps the Aggie) and are not experiencing any weird growths.

nothing is wrong with instate, but if my kids want to go out of state I don’t want that door shut, especially before one is even born.

bampilot06 08-17-22 08:35 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...65031aad5.jpeg

humming bird is stuck in my garage.

Mojo31 08-17-22 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22613287)
nothing is wrong with instate, but if my kids want to go out of state I don’t want that door shut, especially before one is even born.

You have plenty of time to worry about that, and your wife will likely change her tune as the kids age. Especially if the kids do well in school and have a definite path they want to take that an out of state school will provide.

We told our kids they could go to any school they wanted and could get into, with the one exception of Baylor. They both wanted to stay in-state.

My wife wasn't fond of the idea of out-of-state schools because she didn't want to be too far from them, but she would have let them do what they wanted.

None of it is cheap.

Don't forget to save for the wedding as well. Nobody ever mentions that.

genejockey 08-17-22 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22612932)
I am still waiting for my 8mm wrench to show up. I was working on a bike. It's an odd thing that they get away so easily, and it's always expected that someday they'll turn up. But they never do. Poof!

Geez, you guys. Try working on wrist watch movements. Sometimes, with certain springs, I'd hear a tiny *tick* and feel something very small hit my face, and I'd know I was in for half an hour's often fruitless searching.

genejockey 08-17-22 09:37 AM

On last night's ride, I was rolling down the road towards Woodside, as usual only paying attention to the road. Then I noticed a rider on the other side of the road, trying to get my attention. He yelled, "What time is it?" I looked at my watch and shouted the time back to him.

As I was doing this I realized that the rider - a big guy, with long blond hair and a big bushy beard, not wearing a shirt but wearing gym shorts, was none other than our own "Larry Sellerz". So I shouted, "Hey, LARRY!"

He shouted back, "It's GABE!"

So I turned around and chased him down and introduced myself, then rode with him for s short bit. Then we stopped and he showed me his rear brake, where it had been knocked off center in the crash he described last week. The left caliper arm was tied to the seatstay with brown twine, so it wouldn't rub on the rim. I suggested he loosen the whole thing, center it, and retighten the mounting bold. That didn't seem to have occurred to him.

He was going the other way, so I said "Nice to meet you" and turned back around.

t2p 08-17-22 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22613291)
You have plenty of time to worry about that, and your wife will likely change her tune as the kids age. Especially if the kids do well in school and have a definite path they want to take that an out of state school will provide.

We told our kids they could go to any school they wanted and could get into, with the one exception of Baylor. They both wanted to stay in-state.

My wife wasn't fond of the idea of out-of-state schools because she didn't want to be too far from them, but she would have let them do what they wanted.

None of it is cheap.

Don't forget to save for the wedding as well. Nobody ever mentions that.

curious - why the Baylor exclusion ?

one key thought from your good advice above - 'especially if the kids do well in school'

this can often be a requirement to obtain good academic scholarship money (which there is an abundance of)

and high SAT / ACT scores also ... however some of this has appeared to recently change ?

( and this will mean the grade / GPA 'clock' begins ticking early ... freshmen/9th grade year)

t2p 08-17-22 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22613287)

there are a large number of quality schools in VA ...

???

UVA and VT obviously come to mind quickly

Mojo31 08-17-22 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22613399)
curious - why the Baylor exclusion ?

Not a fan of the Evangelical hypocrisy that is Baylor and the Baptist church.

My daughter started college about the time the covered up sexual assaults by athletes were occurring and hitting the news. I did not want her going to a school where women were disregarded and objectified in such a way. Nor did I ever want my son to think that is okay.

My despise of the Baptist church has only grown as it has injected itself into the current political drama. None of my money will ever go to anything affiliated with it.

That's a purely personal decision and is not meant to cast all Baptist church goers as evil people or demons.